Trouble inquarting gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartbar

Supporting Member
Good day to all,
I was melting some silver with karat gold to inquart down to 25% /6k. Went well in melting dish, stirred for 60 seconds with graphite rod. I don’t think I had enough cold water in the metal bowl when I poured the molten metal? Also no ice? Maybe didn’t pour in a small stream either?
The metal fused to bottom of bowl in one blob, size of a silver dollar or so. After ten minutes banging bowl upside down and clawing with tools, it separated in one piece.
My concern is contamination from the bowl, there seems to be no evidence of bowl material (steel or plating) in the blob.
Going forward, do I need to re/melt and pour better to get the cornflake material, or can I go to ahead and process the blob from here with dilute nitric as I planned?
I suppose another melt and mix to assure good equal 6k would do no harm anyway?

Any input valued. Than you and happy new year to all

a large thick piece of gold does not give much surface area for the acids to work on, this can take longer and waste acid as the acids are converting to gases and escape before dissolving the gold.

You could hammer it out thin if you do not wish to remelt and pour the shot.

Not sure what type of steel the bowl was, most of the metals or alloys from the steel will dissolve into solution with your silver, or stay in solution when you precipitate the gold, so I cannot foresee any problems.

Hammering and flattening may also help to break or flake away any metal that is not soldered or welded into an alloy together with the silver/gold.

Back