Trying to figure out the best way to sell my gold as a just a hobbiest

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look up elemental.com. I looked it up and they have an office in Kansas City. I sell palladium and it’s a lot harder to find a buyer for palladium than it is gold by far. I called the closest office to me which is Chicago. They can’t buy from me because I’m not a dealer. But he set me up with his premier store that pays the most. With palladium the bid price is way less than the adk price because of the more involved processing. He pays the store 90% and the store takes 4%. So I get 86% of spot for the Palladium. But when I sell him gold I get 96%. 98% for silver. 75% for Rhodium. It’s worth a phone call to see if your office has a specific dealer to send you too. Before he sent me to the dealer the first time the guy at elemental had me come to his office to run what I had through the XRF to make sure I didn’t have junk. My first batch was 99.1%. I’ve since got it too 99.999% and they welcome my business. Hopefully your local Elemetal office is as helpful as mine.

Elemental.com takes me to an AWS site to sell web sites and software, not to a place that buys gold and such.

As a dentist I’ve been using Garfield Refining. (Garfieldrefining.com)
I’ve sold my dental scrap there for over 17 years now. In dental school I’d get the old gold crowns and melt them together and send the button. Back when gold was 1/3 of its value now, it would pay for flights back home or groceries or Christmas. Now I just send it all as is, teeth parts, glue, fillings inside, whatever. They melt it all down and assay it and give you the value of Au, Ag, Pt, Pd. You can send in old junk jewelry or sweeps too. They don’t process eWaste though.
You can request check or bullion. Of course they take off 5% for processing, but consider cost of doing it yourself. They are friendly to call and ask questions or email.
Thanks.
Thank you
I will check it out! :)

Oh sorry. Lmao. Yeah I spelled it wrong. Elemetal. Look for locations. Then you’ll see Kansas City. It gives their address and number. Mine in Chicago is great. The first time I went there he ran it through the xrf, melted it for me then ran it through again. Then set me up with one of his customers because he couldn’t buy from me because I don’t have a dealers license. Since it’s a 2 hour drive for me he even lets me call ahead and lock in a price. You don’t have to do that as much with gold, but palladium can go up or down $100 an ounce in 2 hours. Right now palladium is in the dumps for multiple reasons and I’m sitting on 15 toz waiting for it to come back up a little.

It’s hidden most of the time but check for Goldbugs on FB. We buy and sell quite a bit of unmarked gold there. Just need a pic of the gold, the XRF report and a pic of your name and the date.

W.E. Mowrey Refing in Minnesota is a well respected company that will deal with the public and professionals.
Mowreygold.com
651-646-1885

If you have large volume gold and link to big refiner, you got usually this kind of offer:
100 USD for assay, any amount....for 1 kilo batch or for 10 gr batch.
Then around 0.10 USD to refine: 14K you pay 0.10 22K you pay 0.10...so better you send higher purity.
The paiement should be around 100-150 USD under the kilo spot price.

Join a gold buy sell FB group those fools will buy anything for spot +. Hell coin shops and gold buyers are selling on FB to not show taxable income. Silver hand pours are getting spot plus’s too. Junk silver 20X FV or better.

The FB refining groups are junk but selling is the way take payment in PP and crypto
Wouldn't there be a fairly high risk that the IRS (etc) is infiltrating those groups to id potential tax cheats?

Last edited:
As a dentist I’ve been using Garfield Refining. (Garfieldrefining.com)
I’ve sold my dental scrap there for over 17 years now. In dental school I’d get the old gold crowns and melt them together and send the button. Back when gold was 1/3 of its value now, it would pay for flights back home or groceries or Christmas. Now I just send it all as is, teeth parts, glue, fillings inside, whatever. They melt it all down and assay it and give you the value of Au, Ag, Pt, Pd. You can send in old junk jewelry or sweeps too. They don’t process eWaste though.
You can request check or bullion. Of course they take off 5% for processing, but consider cost of doing it yourself. They are friendly to call and ask questions or email.
Thanks.
I've bought bars from Garfield in the past, and add my vote that they are good to deal with, and seem trustworthy. I don't particularly like that they require photo id for purchases that are less than the Federal reporting limit, but I understand that they need to do a certain amount of CYA. Caveat - if you go in person, do it during full daylight hours, as they are on Cayuga St. in Philadelphia, in a fairly high crime area (of course that describes pretty much all of Philly these days :) FWIW: a non-resident of Pennsylvania can obtain a PA CHP by application if (and only if) they have a permit to carry in their state of residence.

Last edited:
Wouldn't there be a fairly high risk that the IRS (etc) is infiltrating those groups to id potential tax cheats?
I would say yes pay your taxes and there’s nothing to worry about.

To be fair without saying I’m doing this to not pay taxes. How would they know.

Eric

Gold is the single most dependable trading commodity on the planet.
It is a financial bunker that will survive far past the length of any civilization that has yet to develop.
As well as holding a unique place in our technology that renders it a commodity of nation importance from a tactical stand point.
With there being less than an Olympic sized swimming pool mined in the whole of human history.
I think you can be quite certain that with what ever governmental oversight it is that you enjoy in your part of the world they will most defiantly be taking an interest in you if you become productive in any real way.
If you are looking for an inconspicuous way to manage your "Undeclared assets" you might be better served looking else were.
I understand "Art" is still fairly unregulated.

I was surprised to read this, when i sold my 3 gold buttons the jeweler knew from sight and testing (They all had pipes & crystallization patterns & flaked when dragged across the test pad, obvious signs of purity same as a known bar) and i was paid gold spot for them just like a bar. I did however do business in the past with him & he knew i could be trusted when i stated something, that may have swayed him but i never had an issue ever with with being under paid for buttons but i never tried to sell anything under 24K. It was my local pawn shop jeweler. One last thing i always sold Gold & Silver in amounts just under 1K per visit per day....... always....only way to not get involved in the tax situation.

Gold is the single most dependable trading commodity on the planet.
It is a financial bunker that will survive far past the length of any civilization that has yet to develop.
As well as holding a unique place in our technology that renders it a commodity of nation importance from a tactical stand point.
With there being less than an Olympic sized swimming pool mined in the whole of human history.
I think you can be quite certain that with what ever governmental oversight it is that you enjoy in your part of the world they will most defiantly be taking an interest in you if you become productive in any real way.
If you are looking for an inconspicuous way to manage your "Undeclared assets" you might be better served looking else were.
I understand "Art" is still fairly unregulated.
I was merely trying to nicely point out that entrapment seems to be the FBI's primary strategy, and a FB group would make that trivially easy to do.

Back