TUMBLER CELL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewalker

I am proud to show the first run of my "TUMBLER CELL" that I made. It took 350 grams of pins and processed them in 45 minutes. All I had to do was load it and start it. The links below are for photobucket.com and will show the pictures and a couple of videos of the unit running. I wanted to thank the member that provided the link that started me on this project, but I lost his name.

http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt36/firewalker31/?albumview=slideshow
http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt36/firewalker31/?action=view&current=b.flv
http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt36/firewalker31/?action=view&current=b009.flv

Tell me what you think......Jack

The 3rd run of the cell, pictures below. Had to redo the dongle, changed to aircraft cable. processed 250 grams of pins in 30 minutes.

http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt36/firewalker31/3rd%20run/

http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt36/firewalker31/?action=view&current=e.flv

Excellent, Jack! Simple and ingenious. You could probably take orders for a bunch of those. Isn't that a rotisserie motor? Well-done photos and video.

What is the voltage and amperage when you run 1/2 pound? Have you experimented with higher amperage to decrease the time. You have quite a bit of solution and I don't think you would have problems with the solution overheating. Of course, you don't want to overheat the cables.

Where is the cathode? Is that it in photo #36? If so, it's pretty small. I would imagine the voltage is fairly high because of the small cathode. Have you considered making the tank out of steel and using it as the cathode or, at least, lining the bottom with a steel plate? I'm not criticizing, just thinking out loud.

When plating in a plating tumbler, it takes about 3 times longer than normal plating, since only an average of 1/3 of the parts make total contact at any given time. I assume it would be the same when stripping.

goldsilverpro said:
What is the voltage and amperage when you run 1/2 pound? Have you experimented with higher amperage to decrease the time. You have quite a bit of solution and I don't think you would have problems with the solution overheating. Of course, you don't want to overheat the cables.

I used a 12v battery charger at 2 amp setting. I did not try the 10 amp, The solution stayed at a nice warm tempature. I am running #6 cables.

goldsilverpro said:
Where is the cathode? Is that it in photo #36? If so, it's pretty small. I would imagine the voltage is fairly high because of the small cathode. Have you considered making the tank out of steel and using it as the cathode or, at least, lining the bottom with a steel plate? I'm not criticizing, just thinking out loud.

The big chunk of lead laying on the ground is the cathode. I did have a small one from a previous cell, but figgured it was not big enough, The cathode lays across the bottom of the tank on the pcv pipe in front of the posts, You can see it bubbling in the last 2 pictures. I have not thought about steel, but it sounds like a good idea.

goldsilverpro said:
When plating in a plating tumbler, it takes about 3 times longer than normal plating, since only an average of 1/3 of the parts make total contact at any given time. I assume it would be the same when stripping

In this one it seems that 1/2 if the parts are in contact all the time. The base of the basket is line with an 1/8" stainless steel plate, so when the dongle touchs the top, the whole bottom of the basket is hot. It only took 30 min to strip 250 grams.

thanks for the interest.....Jack

I hope you don't mind my continuing to put in my two cents. What you have done is impressive and I'm very interested in it

In this one it seems that 1/2 if the parts are in contact all the time. The base of the basket is line with an 1/8" stainless steel plate, so when the dongle touchs the top, the whole bottom of the basket is hot. It only took 30 min to strip 250 grams.

I don't think it's as simple as that. Say you had a big pile of parts, just sitting there and not moving. They are in the solution in a strip tank and you apply current to them. Although all are in contact electrically, about 90%, or so, of the current would only be applied to those parts on the outside surface of the pile. The interior parts are shielded from the current by those on the surface of the pile and most parts on the interior of the pile would only partially strip or wouldn't strip at all. If all had equal current applied to them, there would be no reason to tumble them - they all would strip equally. The tumbling action eventually puts each and every part on the outside of the pile so it temporarily gets maximum current. This happens multiple times during the cycle. You are constant changing the order of the pile.This is a over simplified explanation but it's basically the way it works.

Thanks Randy.

GSP, I understand what you are saying. That is the main reason that I made the tumbler, so I would not have to stir the parts and move the anode around.

I have 850 grams of pins ran already, so I am kinda hoping to have from 4-8 grams of gold in the acid. I have about 3000 grams to run yet so we will see what happens.

Later......Jack

Fire walker if you use steel bucket or copper bucket make hole it can get you good result than plastic bucket and also you can remove your anode brush.

aurumshin said:
Fire walker if you use steel bucket or copper bucket make hole it can get you good result than plastic bucket and also you can remove your anode brush.

I don't agree. The basket is closest to the cathode and the current will be applied mainly to the basket. It won't dissolve the metal basket but the current will be used to split water at it's surface and very little current will be applied to the parts. The system will then be very inefficient. The basket must be non-conductive.

Nice job Firewalker. !!!!!

Did you follow these plans ? http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/shop_setup/plating_barrel/how_its_made/index.html

Yeah i found it several months back. I think i posted a link for it somewhere. So much moving i can't keep up with it all.

Hey guy's. 8)

Palladium said:
Nice job Firewalker. !!!!!

Did you follow these plans ? http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/sho ... index.html

Your the person that I wanted to thank in my first post. Yes I used part of the plans, converting it where it would work better for a cell. Again, thanks alot.....Jack

Thanks Palladium for sharing the link with all of us on the forum, nice tumbler barrel setup. The website hosting the plans gives a very good description with a list of parts used.
http://tinyurl.com/mh3gdb

Thanks firewalker that your great invention . Make TUMBLER CELL and ask Bye Bye to copper mesh .

So far I have processed 2850 grams of pins. I have 650 grams left, then I will retire the tumbler till my supply grows again.

Sunday, I processed 1000 grams.

I will post the yeild from the total 3500 grams when I am done.

All total, I figure that I processed 3000 grams of pins. The results are in, I have 17.4 grams of black powder after all the processing, but alais, I am out of gas. Will get some in the morning and post final nugget.....Jack

hello firewalker ,

I see your thumblercell that is good and creative idea i want to get some information about thumblercell (1) steel plate in the hole bucket what can you do to provide the current via steel wire or via shaft who pass through in the pvc pipe ? because i want to making my thumblercell only your information can help me . and if you do any modification in thumblercell please tell us because you have more creative ideas.

firewalker said:
All total, I figure that I processed 3000 grams of pins. The results are in, I have 17.4 grams of black powder after all the processing, but alais, I am out of gas. Will get some in the morning and post final nugget.....Jack

Your black powder needs further refined in AR or HCL/Cl before melting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back