Unknown magenta precipitate from nitric digestion of e-waste metals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stibnut

Supporting Member
After several successful refinings of karat and gold-filled scrap, I decided to try my hand at recovery from e-waste. I purchased about 500 g of old Soviet ICs and capacitors on eBay and smelted it in a Devil Forge propane furnace, using a flux consisting of sodium carbonate and borax plus 10 g of silver as a collector metal. I kept the air wide open to generate as hot and oxidizing an environment as possible in order to minimize emission of organic carcinogens, and my pyrometer indicated it reached about 1400 C. After pouring the melt into a cone mold, I chipped the slag off and got a metal cone of about 65 g. It was moderately magnetic indicating that there was quite a bit of iron, nickel, and/or cobalt in the alloy.

I tried dissolving this in 1:2 nitric with distilled water, but it was very slow even after adding about 8 mL of sulfuric per a suggestion I found by Geo. After two full days on heat and five days sitting at outdoor ambient temp, I poured off the solution. The metal cone was still intact and had lost only about 10 g, having been coated by a passivating layer of a purplish-pink substance, the same as I would get later. I remelted the ~55 g of metal with 78 g of sterling silver plus a similar amount of soda/borax flux, hoping to get rid of the oxides and dilute the passivating base metals out with silver and copper. This produced a metallic button, with the pink stuff going into the slag. I then repeated the nitric treatment.

It has gone much better this time, with most (but not quite all) of the metal eventually going into solution. I just decanted it and noticed that there is a lot of the same magenta stuff left in the beaker. I’ve done some tests but still am not sure what it is, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what it might be.

I tried digesting a sample of it in HCl+H2O2. It did go into solution then, seeming to make the tech. grade HCl a little more yellow (which might just have been Cl2) but not generally changing the color much. A stannous test was negative. DMG revealed no palladium but did show quite a bit of nickel when I added ammonia to raise the pH. A thiocyanate test was positive for iron, but the color was more orange than blood-red, indicating a fairly low concentration. I tried a crude cobalt test by adding dichloromethane to the thiocyanate solution, but nothing extracted into the organic phase. I’ve read that cobalt thiocyanate can give a blue color when extracted into an organic solvent but I’m not sure if my choice of solvent is a good one.

I'd think it was mostly nickel, but nickel oxide and most nickel salts are green. Some of cobalt's soluble compounds are red or pink, but it seems cobalt(II) oxide is black and I'm not sure if it has any insoluble compounds that match the magenta color.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I’ve attached a picture below.

Attachments

• 20220423_144016.jpg
    20220423_144016.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
This could be a hard resolution. Old soviet ICs contain mostly gold and silver. MLCCs are not only Pd but quite a good number of types are Pt ones. Do you have a photo of the stuff which gone into the furnance ? Maybe we can estimate what should be in there.
Did you incinerated and grind the MLCCs ? Old soviet MLCCs are complex and stubborn titanate ceramics, that are very hard to dissolve in common fluxes like you used. So it is plausible that you leached only the outer layer of the grains and a lot of PGMs are locked inside. That will explain no Pd in the metal portion leached by the nitric acid.

I am more curious where did the gold gone... If you have like 200 g of old soviet ceramic ICs, there should be roughly 1-4 g of gold. Not an ammount that could be lost easily.

I encountered the purple sludge once, while refining mixed silver contacts with small ammount of gold-plated contacts. The contact points were melted to a roughly 3 kg bar to estimate the silver content. Then th bulk was dissolved in nitric acid. Filtration was a nightmare, and very similarly colored stuff remained on fritted glass. It analyzed for tin (XRF), which explained the troublesome filtration. And trace gold in very fine form (which accounted for purple colour).

I remembered wrong, turns out I only had 400 g of which 255 were mostly some sort of IC and the other 145 were mostly just LEDs and similar junk, which I threw in the furnace as well. There was a little baggie containing a few MLCCs as well. I did not grind them - I had planned to, but I was worried they might contain beryllium or something else that might generate a toxic dust, so I just threw them in whole. I figured that pre-incineration wouldn't make any sense given the temperatures I was going to subject them to, so I didn't do that either.

I ended up with a bunch of reddish rectangular ceramic plates that did not dissolve into the slag, but I was hoping that any Pd or Pt might have come off and sunk into the metal phase. I'm not seeing that from my nitric solutions though, so they may have stayed attached to the ceramic. A couple of ceramic pieces ended up embedding themselves into my first metal cone but I didn't see any in my second.

I've attached a couple of pictures from the original eBay listing. Looking back, I didn't see the little baggie of MLCCs in the listing, which is kind of strange since that's where Pt/Pd would lie. There weren't many of them though.

I'm currently dissolving the remaining metals and stuff that didn't filter, including most of the pink goo, in AR. Upon adding HCl but before adding nitric, the pink stuff turned yellow fairly quickly. I'm not sure what insoluble pink/magenta material has that property though. I'll update with results from my AR treatment when I'm done with that.

Attachments

• SovietChips.jpg
    SovietChips.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 30
  • SovietChips2.jpg
    SovietChips2.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 29
Part of the solution to the mystery is fact that these piles do not contain much gold, in my opinion. I don´t see any high yielding chips, some big ceramic mounted hybrid ones, but that´s all. In pile of LEDs, there are just few LEDs, and most of the pile are regular diodes or small MLCC capacitors, but just few of them.

So firstly, now I understand why Pd tests were negative - I don´t see from where the Pd/Pt should come from.
I don´t know what exactly are these multi-leg ceramic cap like things, but I think these are just arrays of ceramic caps - do not containing any precious metals. Similarly, all the black two leg things you have on the pile on left. LEDs contain one small bonding wire.

On the attached photos are pictures of the stuff which is worth chasing, even for serious money. Some of them average to 40-60 mg gold per unit, which make it close to 20g/kg. Also there is photo of MLCCs that are worth chasing, mainly green ones. H90 type is Pd and good batches (properly fused with silica or cryolite at least 1600 °C) could deliver more than 60g/kg Pd. Red/yellow ones go to 25g/kg on average from my experience, and are also composed of different ceramic matrix than green ones. Shame that this stuff is slowly vanishing from the world.

Attachments

• 61q6-Iaa+BL._AC_SX355_.jpg
    61q6-Iaa+BL._AC_SX355_.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Capacitor-Scrap.jpg
    Capacitor-Scrap.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Gpack.jpg
    Gpack.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 16
  • chip-locator010.jpg
    chip-locator010.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 13
  • K573RF1.jpg
    K573RF1.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 13
  • KM1804VU1.jpg
    KM1804VU1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the information, orvi. I'm not surprised that I got low-yielding stuff given that I didn't know what I was buying and the seller certainly would have.

Filtering the AR solution was a giant pain, unsurprisingly. I had to leave it filtering overnight as it was going at only a few drops a minute. It did finally filter, leaving quite a bit of a white precipitate in the filter. Just as in your case, it's probably metastannic acid. I'm guessing that the pink-purple color was just colloidal gold mixed with the metastannic acid, and it disappeared quickly since the solution I added HCl to still had traces of nitric.

My solution now tests positive for gold, although the reaction was fainter than usual so I'm not expecting a high yield. I'll precipitate with ferrous sulfate and see how much I get.

Thanks for the information, orvi. I'm not surprised that I got low-yielding stuff given that I didn't know what I was buying and the seller certainly would have.

Filtering the AR solution was a giant pain, unsurprisingly. I had to leave it filtering overnight as it was going at only a few drops a minute. It did finally filter, leaving quite a bit of a white precipitate in the filter. Just as in your case, it's probably metastannic acid. I'm guessing that the pink-purple color was just colloidal gold mixed with the metastannic acid, and it disappeared quickly since the solution I added HCl to still had traces of nitric.

My solution now tests positive for gold, although the reaction was fainter than usual so I'm not expecting a high yield. I'll precipitate with ferrous sulfate and see how much I get.
Colloidal or adsorbed gold can significantly color the precipitate even in trace presence. I learned it hard way. Thinking I have grams of gold in that junk, and I found out that full 100 mL beaker of that my "violet sludge" contained approx. 0,1g of gold... :)

I´m sorry that it ended up like this, I hope you didn´t invested too much money into it. The rich stuff is hard to purchase on sites like eBay, because there are just few vendors and they perfectly know what they are selling. Some pieces in good shape are also collectible, so value is far higher than gold value.
Here, only sane way how to get this stuff is on "online flea markets". Sometimes you are lucky, after one hour scrolling through "electronics" section :D but people often have unrealistic expectations about value... so :)

Here's my final yield, the fruits of my labors. Drumroll please...

20220426_210827.jpg

Of course, I expected more. But I still learned a lot and I'm not unhappy with the result - it was fun to take a bunch of old ceramic chips and various other components and turn them into a chunk of metal with pyrometallurgy, then have to work through the chemistry of base metals and get out my tiny little bead of (mostly) gold. I certainly wasn't expecting to turn a profit, and it was only $70 plus chemicals so it's not like I lost a fortune. This was a more complex and interesting experiment than jewelry refining, and I'm mostly in this for the chemistry. I was hoping for a little Pd to extract too but I'll take what I can get. :)

Thanks for your help, orvi!

Back