What all can the AP method be used for

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragesdad

Hello yes I am just getting started in the recovery process from electronics and components. I was just wondering what all can I use the AP method for for precious metal recovery. I have some pretty good stuff stockpiled and was just hoping to gradually work my way up to where I could afford some better chemicals. I am humbly asking the way more experience people what all can I use the AP method for. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Basically anything (from e-waste) with gold plating on a thin copper or brass basemetal.
Thin copper on printed circuit boards dissolve fast from underneath the plating. It's a good way to start and learn the process with clean cut RAM fingers.
CPU pins and plating loosen from the cpu quite fast but more solid pins take longer because of more metal underneath the gold.
I put contact fingers, jumpers, pins, flat cable contact ends, battery contacts, whole sockets and much more in Ap to get the gold plating.
And probably a lot of other things can go in.

The peroxide part in the name Acid Peroxide can be misleading, you only need a bit to get it started.
Many add way too much H2O2. Just add air and time. And a bit of HCL when needed.
My advise is to make some AP separate with clean copper before adding plated items.

Acid/peroxide is an old refining process that was used by jewelers that wanted to refine their own waste. It will dissolve most precious metals. The advantage over AR was the excess oxidizer could be removed by simply heating the solution. This made the process much more forgiving for the beginner or novice.

For leeching base metal, what we call A/P is a bastardized version of this process. The peroxide is added to dissolve a small amount of copper into solution. Copper(II) chloride (CuCl2) is the actual chemical used in this process. Small amounts of base metal can be dissolved in an oxygen rich solution of CuCl2. H2O2 is not even needed to start the process. The solution can be made by dissolving any scrap, bare copper metal into solution. AR is not recommended. HCl and H2O2 or HCl and bleach will dissolve copper to make the pregnant starting leach. Heat the solution to drive off any excess oxidizer. Add the now green solution to your reaction container and add your gold plated parts. Add an oxygen supply such as bubbling air through the solution and let the acid work it's magic. Some simple maintenance will allow you to use the same solution for a very long time.

Back