What amount of reaction time is

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bklopsy

Supporting Member
needed to neutralize my gold solution. I used hydrochloric and bleach. test shows lots of gold but precipitation being stubborn. NEED HELP!!!

The Noob

The gold will only drop when you've eliminated the excess oxidizer in solution. Actually the gold will react with your precipitant, come out of solution, and redissolve until all of the oxidizer is consumed. Easiest fix is to boil the solution to drive off the peroxide and the gold should drop with the addition of more precipitant.

I left solution outside this morning and I see the color actually changing more towards yellow. Is that a characteristic of a solution reducing the peroxide? In addition, I took a small amount into a seperate container and added more precipitant and solution turned to a orange brown but no sight of gold dropping, yet. Where is my solution at??

You said you've tested for gold. With stannous chloride I assume? If you have a positive gold test that's good. Using color as a determining factor is never a good idea, especially when processing e-scrap. The various other metals that may or may not be in solution are numerous, all imparting a unique color to the liquid, never one you can take to the bank. If the gold isn't dropping boil it, you probably used a healthy portion of H2O2 and have yet to consume it. What are you trying to drop the gold with?

This is how much a noob I really am.

I tested for gold with precious metal detection liquid that was included in a kit I purchased from Shor Industries.

I thank you both

brooks

No offense taken!

I would steer clear of Shor chemistry, they just re-label standard reagents and mark them up so they're outrageously expensive.

Read other posts on the forum and learn about what you're doing, also read Hoke, it's a great book for the non technical approach she takes to the chemistry of refining.

The where to buy chemicals is a real issue with members of this forum, it depends on where you live. Read the chemicals section, there are lots of answers in there.

Latest posts

Back