What chemical will precipitate gold from ammonium chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow what a help you have been Goldsilverpro.
I will call COORS in Denver and order the P-1/2-BC next Friday when I get paid. It appears that there are 8 in an order for the $30.00 cost. I know the Area code is in Denver Colorado because most of Colorado was area code 303 and it changed here in Pueblo Colorado about 5 years ago from 303 to719 so that would put it in Denver or Golden. I have the chemicals from my Shor machine but I have never used it yet. But I would much rather put this together and retrofit it with a design most people here on the form can use at a reasonable cost. The precipitant from Shor looks like salt in consistency, now with the idea of some sort of Shaker basket to put electronic scrap into made out of Stainless Steal this might acutely work. When the amps drop to zero or there about shake the basket to get moor pins or plates to make contact with the SS basket and wait for amps to drop until you just don’t get conductivity any more. The beauty of this is that the Gold will not only be recovered but refined at the same time without the dangerous nitric acid fumes, and the use of safer chemicals without the HCL and sulfuric acids are also a plus.

Hay Steve,
You have also been a great help here maybe with moor people working on this we will be able to refine our scrap much faster THX all. <*///><..tom

Tom341,

Hope you read this before you order.

I think those Coors prices are full retail. I've found that you can get them cheaper through a distributor.

The P-1/2-BC is actually the pore size. I just found the 2"X4" one (#60495), in the right pore size, on sale for $7.14. And you can buy them individually.

http://www.macbicnj.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=online&Product_Code=Coors60495

Here's a bunch of Coors stuff on sale. I notice there are some Buchner vacuum funnels on the list at good prices.

http://www.macbicnj.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=online&Category_Code=coors

That whole Macbic site is nothing but clearance items. Great prices. Here's Coors spot plates for less than half price. The one pictured is not the one being sold. The one on sale has 12 depressions. Spot plates are the very best way to do stannous chloride tests.

http://www.macbicnj.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=online&Product_Code=34276-0160

goldsilverpro,

Thank you for all your help I will be ordering the ones on sale at the site you referred me to. I don’t know how you fiend this kind of information but hay don’t stop its great. I do have to weight until this Friday 6/1/07 that’s pay day for me I am a D.A.V. and I only get paid once a month. ..THX...<*\\\><...TOM

goldsilverpro said:
The Shor patent of the ammonium chloride electrolyte that dissolves the gold also is #5,009,755. It has 1 to 2 pounds of ammonium chloride per gallon, 2 to 4 ozs of NaCl per gallon, and .25 fl.oz. of hydrogen peroxide per gallon. The anode is bagged and the anode solution is separated from the cathode by a membrane. I think this patent is what the Simplicity machine is based on but, I need to read the Simplicity instructions again to make sure. I may be wrong. The Shor patents are quite confusing and I haven't spent that much time analyzing them. The catalyst is probably the peroxide. The gold can be dropped with any of the common sulfite compounds. The Pt group metals stay in the anode bag.

According to the patents, a small amount of Gold Chloride is added to the electrolyte as well to prime the electrolyte. The catalyst envelope also contains a chemical that generates a small quantity of Peroxide to act as a depolarizer. Once the cell gets going, the anode generates more.

Here's the instructions on how to operate the cell:

http://shorinternational.com/simplicityInstr.htm

Some of the older patents have expired and some are still enforceable, so be aware about using this information.

goldsilverpro said:
$500 is absurd. I don't think that Shor wants you messing with this thing and they're discouraging you. The cup they're using probably cost only $20 - $30.

Most of the best U.S. ceramic labware is made by Coors - the beer company. They used to make ceramic beer bottles and that's how they got into it. I would bet that the porous cups used by Shor are made by Coors. Here's a Coors catalog and price list. You may have to buy the stuff through a distributor. The porous cup listed, P-1/2-BC, is the right pore size. The biggest one they list, 2"X4". cost $30.
http://www.coorstek.com/resources/8510-1097LabwareCatalog.pdf
http://www.coorstek.com/resources/8510-1032_Labware_Pricelist.pdf

They come in different pore sizes. I think the patent said that the pore size has to be .5 microns, or less.

The trick is having a bag around the anode that allows the Gold ions to pass while retaining the solids and ions that would contaminate the Gold bearing solution. The porous cup prevents the Gold and other metals from plating out on the cathode.

From what i've read, the .5 Micron cup will block Gold ions from migrating but it may need some experimentation to determine if ions with smaller diameters will be blocked.

lazersteve said:
Tom,

In the setup you described the gold never goes into solution. It percipitates as the cell is run. The silver and base metals will go into solution. You don't need any membrane or ion barrier in this set up. Just bag the anode (gold) in a nylon bag and collect the powder as it separates from the solubles. The cathode is graphite.

Steve
does the powder leak into the solution? do the contents of the bag need to be further refined ? is this powder pure gold?

I have the shor machine, and they shipped it with the cup in pieces.
I am trying to find a replacement as they are really giving me the full rash. I even called them to have them send me back the one I sent. They had told me to use silicone seal to fix it.
At any rate, I called Coors. They are really nice to deal with, however, their porous cups are much larger than I can use.
Has anyone found the supplier for that cup?
It is 10.5mm X 30mm.
I am at a dead end on this one.

I don't know what Coors is selling but as a potter I make, as an intermediate step, a porous material called bisque.
You see when a pot is make from wet clay first it is air dried then fired to 1800 Deg f or bisque temp, just like a flower pot but..... it's any size and wall thickness you want. Round works best for me cause my wheel goes round and round. It can be made out of a white clay that should have no contaminates like iron is in the red clay pots. If anyone is interested, tell me the size and wall thickness and we can test it out and go from there. Please let me know any other info that might help. Wyndham

Latest posts

Back