What happened to my gold? Aargh

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are seeing why people recommend refining your gold first. The fact that it has worked in the past for you just means you have been getting lucky.

Betts metal refining was open last week.
I didn’t try Cookson’s but they are still open for online sales so might be for refining. I wasn’t sure if they would handle sweeps & low grade material. I was going to try them after Betts.

Just been on Cookson’s website and seen they have now decided to close from the end of today until 27th April. So that’s not a possible

Just checked & Betts are still open for refining and they are selling 9ct red casting grain too which should solve my issues.
They said they’re open for the foreseeable future :)

Unless you are casting pieces do not buy grain as it too will have silicon, buy 3mm square wire which you can draw or roll :shock:

Yes, the 9ct red grain result was exactly the same as with the 9ct red gold scrap, the wire I’ve made is brittle and snaps when bent round. So much for using fresh casting grain.

And yes, I didn’t get back as much cash from Betts as I’d hoped either.

I’m going to avoid 9ct red casting jobs from now on. :(

It seems like I’m forcing gas into the metal somehow, the internal structure of the wire is like an Aero :?

Jellybaby said:
It seems like I’m forcing gas into the metal somehow, the internal structure of the wire is like an Aero :?

As I advised buy 3mm square wire and draw it down or roll it, the silicon in the grain is what is causing you the problem :shock:

I’m making a sand cast ring, so it has to be cast in sand to achieve the desired surface texture on the metal.
I hear what you are saying re the silicon, funding silicon free casting grain was impossible right now as there’s little option of what to buy, everywhere is closed.
To reduce oxides and gas porosity, do you think switching to an electric furnace for heating the metal might give a better result?

Back