What have we been doing lately?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugget

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
I think it would be interesting to find out what everyone has been doing lately. Who knows you may find a mate doing the same things and can get together.
I'm thinking, have you been out prospecting? Did you find anything?
Maybe camping with the family and forgetting the world. Are you a musician? Going to a great bit of theatre? A motorcycle adventure?

I'm partial to long drives in the country, so that's what I've been doing on a weekend when I have time.

How about you?

I’m partial to woodworking so I’m in the process of making a desk out of quartersawn white oak I cut from my woods, dragged out with my quad, sawed with a neighbors band saw, and dried in a solar wood kiln. The desktop is a 3” thick slab of walnut that is two and a half years into a 3 year drying before I can sand and finish it.
I always wanted a nice work desk and now that I’m finishing up my working career I felt it was time to have one.

Some blockages in my legs got really bad. Got to where I could only walk 40 to 50 feet then had to sit for 20-30 minutes or so. Then get up and go again. I have always had low blood pressure and a low heart rate and now as I get older it just keeps be annoying.

That’s too bad, you’re too young to let that get you down.
I am lucky enough to have been able to install an endless pool in my house and, especially since the beginning of covid, I swim a half mile a day. Makes a big difference. No impact yet great exercise.
Good luck.

We’ve been in Maine. Beautiful place. Too many people though. (Acadia) Ready to be home with my dog.

Attachments

• 30300879-2402-4AA9-B52D-37DF29F6FED1.jpeg
    30300879-2402-4AA9-B52D-37DF29F6FED1.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 1FD7BFC4-E50F-4361-BCA3-8D49263363FD.jpeg
    1FD7BFC4-E50F-4361-BCA3-8D49263363FD.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • 3365178D-0E14-4560-9C08-46CACE51E9F0.jpeg
    3365178D-0E14-4560-9C08-46CACE51E9F0.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 566F4206-85AE-4A0E-877F-DF57B8BE93B1.jpeg
    566F4206-85AE-4A0E-877F-DF57B8BE93B1.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 8
  • FA6AC3AC-4B26-449D-92AF-41D09CA48E03.jpeg
    FA6AC3AC-4B26-449D-92AF-41D09CA48E03.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9
  • A736F2F9-502B-470C-85E1-62393E945E09.jpeg
    A736F2F9-502B-470C-85E1-62393E945E09.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
I had a bad stroke 6-7 years ago and all this is ongoing side effects. Some of it is posted on the forum someplace. I have had heart surgery, both carotids cleaned out, and two stints and throat surgery that failed, back then. I now have 3 stints, and had two ballon jobs now I am getting around pretty good again. Trying to build a ball mill now, need a new motor as I just burnt the last one I had on hand up.

As you mentioned prospecting, not really now, but two weeks ago, we checked our good spot in one very small stream and hit it with highbanker. Result was very satisfying - 1,05g of gold, mostly in nice chunky bits. Gold in that stream is a lot above average size for my country. Grid is 1x1 mm. So I am happy :)

Recently, I only could mine gold in lab with beakers... So I started to process some scrap that I acquired. Old DIP ceramic ICs gave me very nice recovery, despite I firstly dented the beaker and spilled whole 3/4 liter of gold AR into the fumehood when transfering the beaker. Ten seconds when you do not have it above catchpan... Apparently, compared to the usual yield 18-20g/kg, I lost just less than 1/5 of the gold. But cleanup/scavenging took 3 hours :D

Attachments

• IMG_20220522_185237.jpg
    IMG_20220522_185237.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220602_134747.jpg
    IMG_20220602_134747.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
I had a bad stroke 6-7 years ago and all this is ongoing side effects. Some of it is posted on the forum someplace. I have had heart surgery, both carotids cleaned out, and two stints and throat surgery that failed, back then. I now have 3 stints, and had two ballon jobs now I am getting around pretty good again. Trying to build a ball mill now, need a new motor as I just burnt the last one I had on hand up.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Hope all clears up well enough for you to get around a bit better.

Thanks, I’m still kicking. I still run 1-2 pounds of gold filled every week or so. Finally got that caught up. I have about 4 pounds of sterling I need to do something with. Then the ball mill needs finishing as it can be used for a AR reactor as well. I have about 20 more pounds of gold plated jewelry to finish up yet. The wife’s birthday was the seventh. Today is the son’s birthday as well as our anniversary. Always something good to do.

I`m buying some building material to redo the roof on our holiday house, also the yard needs levelling so i have to call someone to do that. Also i need to finish my furnace and grinding machine.... Lot to do before holiday kicks in... :)

We're down to the last 11 days of absolute mayhem before the real work kicks off.

Beginning in September of last year, it's been nonstop permitting and engineering/designing all of the equipment and processes for our first season of opening up our new hard rock mine.

The last 2 months of 10 and 12 hour days fabricating the machines are wearing me down, but I'm beyond excited and can't wait to dive in.

Overwhelming, Challenging, Intimidating, Exciting...

I have a very real understanding of what it takes to eat an elephant...one bite at a time.
Not sure I'll get Everything done, but we'll be up and running soon and we'll figure the rest out as we go.

Yee-Haw!!

Tiny addendum to the last post.
I spoke with DNR this morning and the guy was great. He was heading out in the field and stopped long enough to dig up our file and tracked down a supervisor for our last critical signature.
We have our 5 year mining permit!!
I'm enjoying a very tasty, very dark beer and celebrating a HUGE hurdle that we have just cleared.
Cheers guys!
Tomorrow, it's back to the Ball Mill that I'm fabricating.

Sorry I’ve been absent lately. The economy hasn’t been kind to me lately and I’m delivering food 60+ hrs/week just to pay bills while I clean up 9 bankrupt corporations.

To the question, I’m mainly a deep woods person. Hunting, Fishing, Panning… Anything to leave pavement behind. If I’m on pavement though I better be on something under 500lbs with over 70HP.

Side note, the website refreshes on iOS and kicks me out in the middle of writing.

Back