What in God's green earth did I do now?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldman94

So everything was fine and dandy for my 1st 2 rinses of hot dilute nitric washings for my inquarted gold. But on my 3rd wash I immediately got a cloudy purple liquid when I put it in there. I use nothing but distilled water so it can't be silver chloride. I'm so confused. I also did a stanouus test of it and it didn't change any color.

Attachments

• 20200420_145255.jpg
    20200420_145255.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 220
  • 20200420_145300.jpg
    20200420_145300.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 220
I have not had that particular color. But some distilled waters aren't as good as our local city water. Did you happen to in-quart using sterling silver, or maybe even contact points from relays?

Shark said:
I have not had that particular color. But some distilled waters aren't as good as our local city water. Did you happen to in-quart using sterling silver, or maybe even contact points from relays?

I used the same distilled water I've been using since day 1 and I never had this problem. Also, I've always inquarted with sterling as well and also never had this problem lol. It seems to kind of go away as the solution heats back up but I'm so confused. Also like I said, the 1st 2 washings were completely normal in color and I go to do the 3rd one and bam, its fricken purple :?

Don't panic.

Decant it and carry on treating your gold powder. Test for gold just in case and let it settle for a while. Something's nagging at the back of my head because Ive seen this before and I'm trying to remember what it was- but I know it wasn't terminal. 8) 8)

I mean it doesn't seem to be hurting the gold sponge in there but I'm just baffled and was wondering if anyone knew what it was

I am with Jon, I don't think it will affect your gold. I think it is something in the silver. A silver cell keeps coming to mind, I just don't know why.

My first thought was nickel, but that should turn a nitric solution green, if I remember correctly. Since you are using .925 silver, it could be one of many metals used, in addition to copper, to make .925. I’ve read something before on a .925 silver solution turning blue, but I do not remember what caused it.

Time for coffee.

When I was decanting it, there was a very fine purple precipitate as well. Some sinks and some floats so I'm not sure whether or not that is gold. I also just moved onto the AR phase and so far its looking normal 🤞

If you kept notes you will know if you loose any gold with the final weigh in. I always expect some loss, but I usually get real close if everything goes as expected. I almost hate when this type thing comes up, but it will break the monotony...just so long as it don't break it beyond repair, :lol:

Edit to add:

When I reached a point where I was doing more than a gram or two at a time, these things started coming up more often. Not panicking was first priority, asking the forum and waiting until I had a response that made enough sense to me before moving forward was a close second. And I still still don't touch the volume in a year many of the members do in a day. But I still enjoy it.

Shark said:
If you kept notes you will know if you loose any gold with the final weigh in. I always expect some loss, but I usually get real close if everything goes as expected. I almost hate when this type thing comes up, but it will break the monotony...just so long as it don't break it beyond repair, :lol:

Rule #1 Always keep notes lol
I'll keep you guys updated on my yield. I'll probably be doing 2 AR baths just to make sure noting came over in that junk

There's a purple layer of whatever on top of my gold drop. Its gatta be the water. I have no idea what else it could be. I got the Walgreens brand but it worked every single other time so I have no idea. And it was from the same gallon jug too, it just decided to turn it purple halfway through

Attachments

• 20200420_163739.jpg
    20200420_163739.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 199
I managed to pull a 6.88g bar for a recovery percentage of 94.2% from this project. What's your guys' average recovery percentage? I also have 2 filter papers worth of AR solution and apparently I missed a pinch of gold dust, couldn't tell since it was getting dark out. Also I managed to extract 18.5g worth of silver too, got a nice lil bar outta that

Attachments

• 20200420_202353.jpg
    20200420_202353.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 184
Did you use sterling jewelry to inquart? If so there may have been tin in the mix. That's what I suspect.

The color depends on particle size, inter particle distance, temperature... attached is assumed position of blue just prior to the chockolate color we all know

Attachments

• nanogold1.jpg
    nanogold1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 122
Back