What ratio of Silver Nitrate to Distilled Water is best for making Electrolyte Solution?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologize if this has already been answered in previous threads... What ratio of Silver nitrate do I mix with distilled water to make the Electrolyte Solution? Is it better to use a stronger solution or a weaker solution for the Electrolyte in the Silver Cell? When replenishing the Silver cell do you only add water or silver nitrate or both? Looking to grow the thickest silver crystals as possible. Thanks for your inputs in advance!!! I appreciate everyone's opinion.

I apologize if this has already been answered in previous threads... What ratio of Silver nitrate do I mix with distilled water to make the Electrolyte Solution? Is it better to use a stronger solution or a weaker solution for the Electrolyte in the Silver Cell? When replenishing the Silver cell do you only add water or silver nitrate or both? Looking to grow the thickest silver crystals as possible. Thanks for your inputs in advance!!! I appreciate everyone's opinion.
This is close to double posting, please refrain from asking the same twice.
It will clutter the forum more than necessary.

Check out the post below.

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/silver-electrolytic-cell-volume.8589/post-81336
100g of dissolved silver per liter is a good baseline. Silver nitrate is approximately 63% silver by weight so you will need to dissolve 160g of AgNO3 in 1 liter of distilled water to make a 1 liter cell.

Steve

This is close to double posting, please refrain from asking the same twice.
It will clutter the forum more than necessary.
I'm new to the thread... I was under the impression I was adding a title to my question, didn't realize until after that I was answering my own question. Wasn't done on purpose. Sadly, the thread has now been mislead by our side conversation. It was an accident. Now we are rambling about absolutely nothing to do with the original question or precious metals refinement. Thanks for the heads up, if I could erase it I would. It was a newbies mistake.

I'd recommend checking sreetips on youtube, he clarifies such things for his electrolitic cell.

I'd recommend checking sreetips on youtube, he clarifies such things for his electrolitic cell.
I watch him quite a bit actually... Unfortunately he adds undisclosed amounts without letting you know how much he's actually adding. It's hard to tell how big of a bowl he's using as well. I don't want to over dilute my electrolyte solution. Thanks for responding. I appreciate the feedback.

He does disclose the amounts, but he doesn't repeat himself on each time he repeats a process (each video) and i agree with that procedure. Repeating one self, even while helpful and actually smart, looks stupid for some and bothers people, sreetips knows that.

He does disclose the amounts, but he doesn't repeat himself on each time he repeats a process (each video) and i agree with that procedure. Repeating one self, even while helpful and actually smart, looks stupid for some and bothers people, sreetips knows that.
Actually he does repeat himself frequently. I’m not complaining. Repetition tends to eventually hammer the point home. Sreetips has a rather recent video on this subject. Can’t be more than a couple of months old.

If you keep track of your voltage and current with a meter on the cell the trick is to add solute until you get the highest current at the lowest workable voltage. 2v is a good starting point. You want to keep the voltage low so that you don’t generate hydrogen from your cathode.

If you keep track of your voltage and current with a meter on the cell the trick is to add solute until you get the highest current at the lowest workable voltage. 2v is a good starting point. You want to keep the voltage low so that you don’t generate hydrogen from your cathode.
And mainly not to produce copper at the cathode. With good positioning of electrodes, voltage of 2.4-2.6v can give over 99.5 purity

Last edited:
Back