When In Doubt, Cement It Out

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave (and others).... In keeping with the title of this thread, do you consider copper to be a "selective precipitant" with respect to selectively dropping out only those five (5) metals below it on the reactivity chart?
Yes, it will only cement the more noble metals.

Ag and Au, I'm assuming you're referring to the reactivity series I included in my first post. As I mentioned there, it only contains the more common metals we most often deal with; silver, mercury, palladium, platinum, and gold.

There are of course other noble metals like iridium, rhodium, ruthenium, etc. and some other metals like titanium, tellurium, etc. that could cement if they happen to be in your solution, but most of us don't typically deal with these.

Dave

Yes and understood. I guess I am foolishly "hung-up" with the word "precipitant" versus the word "cementation". When we use SMB after AR, we selectively precipitate (only the gold) onto "nothing" (lol). I guess what I am asking is: are they both doing the same thing chemically, except that the "copper" is broader in scope?

Basically yes, you reduce a lesser reactive element with a more reactive element.
Some are pretty selective some are broader, like you say.
Copper reduces all lesser reactive metals from solution. Those are only a few and regarded as precious, that's why we use copper and not iron, zinc or aluminum for cementing pm's.

It's a game of exchanging electrons.
An element has it's protons and electrons in balance, when there is an electron added or taken away, it becomes an ion, and is in a state of oxidation. This makes bonding to other ions possible, making a compound.
The compound can be broken by a reducing agent which is able to donate an electron.

Hi, I have a question about this process. Will it work with nitric acid being the base acid aswell?

Nevermind, I’m sure it will stupid question.

Hi, I have a question about this process. Will it work with nitric acid being the base acid aswell?

Nevermind, I’m sure it will stupid question.
The silver nitrate electrolyte will indeed be made with HNO3.
There is no other acid for this type of cell as far as i know.
Look in the library for processes.

Latest posts

Back