Where is the gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsiggins

Hey Guys beside the pins is there any more gold in these also do the capacitors contain anything if so how to you get to it.

amd.jpg

In my opinion you would need a lot of chips to obtain any real amount of gold. Plus I could be wrong but I don't think that they contain any gold or very minute trace amount of gold. Hope this helps you.

Hello Tim. I'm by no means an expert, but I do have a keyboard in front of me, so I'll chime in. ;):) At first glance I can't tell if they are ceramic or not. If you told me they're not ceramic, I'd say they look like flip chips, which are infamously well-regarded as worthless. You say they have pins. I'll have to take your word for it and assume they are gold plated. If they have legs, they are not flip chips. Flip chips will be soldered to the circuit board via BGA. I can't gauge the size very well, but if they were green, and about two inches by two inches, I'd guess they came out of modern laptop computers.

To sum it up, I think that any chip that looks like that (and has golden legs), would probably have bonding wires inside, or under the die. If ceramic, they might have to be broken to processed. As for the mlcc's, I'll tell you what I've heard. The older, the better because older one's contain palladium and silver. Some higher-grade boards may still contain pgm's, but most modern electronics use mlcc's made with nickel and perhaps some silver and little to no pgm's. Those with the palladium are said to be less magnetically attractive, and there by, more attractive to refiners. Use a week magnet to check, not neodymium.

Hopefully the pro's will let us know if I am inaccurate, or if I've missed anything important/notable.
Happy Holidays yall!
mike

Those are very well known AMD K6 series CPU's.

When you ask a question and there's little/no answers, it's usually one of two reasons:

1) Question is so difficult that no one knows the answer.
2) Question is common knowledge so no one bothers to answer because it has already been answered a thousand times before.

Back