which one is the gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsoncarp

Hey guys, I’m having some issues with precipitating my gold out of my AR solution.

I dissolved my gold pins in AR (I don’t think that all of the base metals were removed in the nitric prior to the AR). I did not neutralise the solution but did add some H2O and then added ferrous sulphate.

Some hours latter a yellowish white precipitate formed. That’s the green stuff in the photo and then about 3 days latter the brown stuff was participated.

I think the greenish stuff might be silver and the brown gold but I’m not sure. Does anyone know?

You're not going to like this reply, but it needs to be said.

You should NOT dissolve pins in AR. That is a sign that you know almost nothing about refining. Eliminate base metals before dissolving values, or strip the values with a sulfuric cell. Only on rare occasion should you use AR to dissolve base metals, and then you must have a firm understanding about base metals and how they react with values in solution. Otherwise, you are likely tossing your gold instead of recovering.

Silver and gold will not be in solution at the same time in acid, aside from traces. Do not expect to find silver from a gold chloride solution, and if you do, it will be a silver chloride, and will have precipitated at the outset. It does not come down in the act of precipitating gold, for, in theory, it's not there. (Traces may be).

Read Hoke.

Harold

In re-reading your post, I think I should have commented on what was precipitated.

First, if there were any remnants of the parts after you dissolved with AR, it's most likely you lost your gold in filtration. No big deal if you kept the filter and contents, for it's easy to incinerate the filter and start over with AR.

Assuming you did manage to dissolve everything, your gold would then be in solution. A simple test with stannous chloride (which should be at your disposal BEFORE you think of dissolving values---otherwise you'll have no way of knowing where the values are, or if they are all down after precipitation).

Now then, unless you have taken steps to eliminate any unused nitric, it's highly unlikely you would achieve precipitation. Adding water in and of itself won't serve the purpose---you are not trying to dilute the nitric, it must be eliminated, or bound, so it can no longer dissolve the gold that is present.

Armed with the above, assuming you test a solution that has an abundance of free acid (nitric), the test will often flash the expected color, then be immediately dissolved, so the end result, unless you are very fast on your feet, is to assume that there are no values present.

Evaporation, or in lieu of, the use of urea, is VERY important. Do not omit one or the other from your operation.

Try removing the substance that came down first, and give it a wash in HCl. If it doesn't dissolve, and remains a tan color, it's possible you have gold there, but I can't see your picture, so I have no idea what the substance looks like.

I implore you------don't do these things blindly. Have testing capabilities, and follow the directions. Otherwise, when things go south, it's almost impossible for anyone to determine what went wrong.

Before you do anything, be certain to test your solution now. Because you haven't followed the guidelines, it's hard to say where the gold is, and it could very well still be in solution. A stannous test should reveal if it is, or not, even if the acid content is extremely high. Look for any signs of a purple reaction the moment you apply the test to a drop of solution that has been removed from the vessel. Place the drop in a cavity in a spot plate, or in lieu of a spot plate, you can use a white plastic spoon, or even some white paper or a cotton swab. You likely understand that you should NOT test the solution in the vessel. Only tiny samples that are removed are needed. You can fetch a drop with a glass stirring rod, which is more than enough.

Luck!

Harold

Thans harold. I dident know there was that much to it. As for the picture if you click on it it shows the full sized pic and you can see it.

crimsoncarp said:
Thans harold. I dident know there was that much to it. As for the picture if you click on it it shows the full sized pic and you can see it.
While it appears it's complicated, it isn't. Once you understand what is required, and when, it's routine. I have commented time and again, I can teach a monkey to refine. It's that simple.

I looked at your picture. Thanks for cluing me in. :oops:

Unfortunately, while I found it interesting, I'm not sure what I'm seeing. I do suggest the HCl wash I mentioned previously. If the dark colored material is gold, it should remain, and improve in color. The color of precipitated gold seems to be linked to its purity, which gets lighter in color as it is washed.

Might be a good idea to post your results, so others can learn from your experience.

Harold

Latest posts

Back