Why Can't I Ask a Simple Question and get a Simple Answer?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Works in 4 metals post but the quote from J.Najam is till non working.

Some very interesting stuff on the sight, I will have to read more of it.

To put a very fine point on the original question, the question may seem simple, but it’s not. It’s naive. The answer to the question is so complex that it’s not possible for you to understand it. Or, as a wise old man once responded to “a simple question” that I had asked, “…that you asked the question demonstrates your inability to understand the answer.”

Just to be clear, mixing an acetate with the strong acids used in refining can cause EXPLOSIONS (sorry for violating forum rules with the caps). I think enough of us on this forum just don't like the risk of having it in thier shops.

Just to be clear, mixing an acetate with the strong acids used in refining can cause EXPLOSIONS (sorry for violating forum rules with the caps). I think enough of us on this forum just don't like the risk of having it in thier shops.
Or in our valuables:oops:

You know Catt.
Many times in refining, the only simple answer is that there are no simple answer.

As long as you are refining the same thing with the same procedure every time, one can put down a clear answer.... or maybe not.

Sometimes the temperate or purity of the chemical change. Maybe you had a short lapse of memory or have specially tempting steak for dinner, who knows.

Things change, and we all have to learn to deal with it.
Thus the general base chemistry is what we have to learn, then we need to adapt that to the conditions at hand, this round of refining.

Most of the time there are no surprises....

I really do not know how else to describe it.

Enjoy your reading. If you master Hokes book, you are well equipped to discover more😁

Regards Per-Ove
If reading Hoke and other scientific literature doesn't float your boat, there's always the guy in the long black cassock who will pray for your project and bless the results (whatever they are, he'll tell you it's a mysterious blessing).

Hello,

I don't know if its the right metaphorical phrase but in terms of 'knowledge' I'd hoped to join this forum in "search of a scrap box, but I have found a scrap yard."

Really thank each and everyone of you.

@FrugalRefiner thanks, yes the link works fine now.

Hi!

Brand new here ...

With Chemistry up to 1st year University level, my simple question was going to be ... Do I *REALLY* need a fume hood?

As a skydiver with over 20 years of experience, I take risk evaluation very seriously. That is why this was one of the first posts I read here.

After reading the original post, I don't need to ask the question anymore.

I'll just save my gold scrap until I get a fume hood.

That way I will have stuff to tinker with in my old age (and an old age to tinker through).

Brilliant post!

Kenzo

Hi!

Brand new here ...

With Chemistry up to 1st year University level, my simple question was going to be ... Do I *REALLY* need a fume hood?

As a skydiver with over 20 years of experience, I take risk evaluation very seriously. That is why this was one of the first posts I read here.

After reading the original post, I don't need to ask the question anymore.

I'll just save my gold scrap until I get a fume hood.

That way I will have stuff to tinker with in my old age (and an old age to tinker through).

Brilliant post!

Kenzo
I have to say I'm so glad to see a new member reading before asking!
Welcome!

Many new members are frustrated when they first join this forum. They may have experience on other internet forums where it is common for members to ask simple questions and get quick answers. They join this forum in hopes of getting similar responses to their questions about refining.

These are some questions that have been asked:

• "Here is my plea for help. I kept all the liquid, but how do I get the gold back?"
  • "I just have some CPUs I want to refine. Why won't someone just give me the best process to use?"
  • "How much 60% nitric per Oz of sterling silver.I cheched the site and saw no math on this.Just a simple answer would be great."
  • "I am not here with great expectations, just looking for a simple answer to a simple solution."
  • "How do I mix nitric acid with hydrocloric acid without killing myself or turning the house into a gas chamber?"
  • "why cant some just answer the question."

If you're new to the forum, you may feel like some of the members I've quoted above. You just have a little gold or silver you'd like to refine. You don't need someone to write a whole book for you and you don't want to spend years reading through the forum. You just need a quick outline of the best process to use for your material, like they show on YouTube.

The reason no one here wants to give these quick answers is simple. Every process used in recovering and refining precious metals is dangerous. Following are a few accounts written by members of this forum. Following each quote is a link to the post they've come from. These are their real life experiences.

Mandatory reading material for new Help Needed Posters

WARNING!!

It's Time to go legit

Refining gold from connector pins

Thanks Harold

Metal Fume Fever

Separation and Purification Au,Pt,Pd,Ag,Rh,Os,Ir,Ru

BFRC precautions when using AR

Nitrogen Dioxide MSDS

HCl/Cl Leach of Honeycombs and Beads PHOTOS

Stannous chloride Colors?

I hope these accounts will help you to understand some of the hazards involved in what we discuss on this forum. I sympathize with those who just want a quick answer to a simple question. As you study, you'll find that those who have taken the time to educate themselves will, indeed, get quick answers to quick questions. But no one on this forum wants to be responsible for helping a new member hurt themselves or others around them. Please, take your time and follow the advice of those who've come before you. Here's a good place to get started: Tips for Navigating and Posting on the Forum.

Dave

Edited to add a link to a post made by kadriver: Gold Miner Dies Among Chemicals.
This should be required reading for noobs looking to get into the chemistry-side of gold recovery ... alot of the youtube guys are gunning for clicks/subscribers, becuase there can be a suprisingly lucrative income from a youtube channel if you can gain a couple hundred thousand subscribers or more ... so if your building a youtube channel, you don't really want to scare your viewers away by describing in detail how dangerous the activity really can be.

Back