Why Can't I Ask a Simple Question and get a Simple Answer?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a nutshell, because the question may be simple, but the answer isn’t. I don’t mean to be insulting or degrading, but I see questions on here all the time where the most appropriate answer is that if you have to ask that question, then you won’t be able to understand the answer. Get Hoke’s book. Watch a bunch of Sreetips videos. And be prepared to spend at least a few months studying before you attempt your first recovery/refining. Nothing else will suffice. This isn’t a simple subject.

Dave, thank you for quoting me. I would love to think that I made a positive impact on someones well being. I'm not optimistic enough to hope that it will actually steer someone's actions to a safer coarse but one can always hope. I would like to be the poster child for "uneducated decisions that will alter your life".
Hi Geo,

You sure as hell steered me in the right direction. And for that I thank you.

The thing is, all the safety talk is great. It helps the vast majority of people. Now, accidents can always happen, but with knowledge and experience the changes are greatly reduced. But there is another category... You can not possibly stop stupidity. Like putting a red stop button in the middle of the room with a sign to not press the button. You can wait for someone to press the button, right? Please, do not feel bad for people in this category.

Anyway, the whole safety aspect itself is already reason enough to not give a quick answer to people when they casually walk in.

To Owner/Manager(s): I believe the forum is run from Canada or the States. Is it possible the forum may be held liable for damages in the court of law if someone gets an accident? May be not such a bad idea to check this out. Maybe take out an insurance policy on this.. Just a thought... It may be unprecedented, but it would be naïve to not at least consider it I think.

Joey

Is it possible the forum may be held liable for damages in the court of law if someone gets an accident? May be not such a bad idea to check this out. Maybe take out an insurance policy on this.. Just a thought... It may be unprecedented, but it would be naïve to not at least consider it I think.
The questions answered here are answered from the members personal hands on experience and, if you read enough on the forum, you will see that if someone posts something that is just wrong it will be pointed out quickly. In that way we are self policing.

But if we were responsible for someone who doesn’t follow directions well or see’s something on You Tube and says they heard it here, we would need insurance. If we needed insurance, we would need to qualify everyone who posts. That would kill the forum.

We did have a member here who placed a disclaimer on every post he made. Possibly we should do that where members sign up just to make sure they understand their own responsibility.

To Owner/Manager(s): I believe the forum is run from Canada or the States. Is it possible the forum may be held liable for damages in the court of law if someone gets an accident? May be not such a bad idea to check this out. Maybe take out an insurance policy on this.. Just a thought... It may be unprecedented, but it would be naïve to not at least consider it I think.
I think a well written disclaimer would suffice.
Something like: A microwave is not for drying your pets... don't sue us for your stupidity.

Having worked with elemental bromine i am certain that was a surprise. It’s quite interesting when you expect it and know what is coming. If you dont know how to make a dry ice and acetone bath you should probably not liberate bromine. My only question is if you have the bromide salts why would you want to convert it to the chloride?

Many new members are frustrated when they first join this forum. They may have experience on other internet forums where it is common for members to ask simple questions and get quick answers. They join this forum in hopes of getting similar responses to their questions about refining.

These are some questions that have been asked:

• "Here is my plea for help. I kept all the liquid, but how do I get the gold back?"
  • "I just have some CPUs I want to refine. Why won't someone just give me the best process to use?"
  • "How much 60% nitric per Oz of sterling silver.I cheched the site and saw no math on this.Just a simple answer would be great."
  • "I am not here with great expectations, just looking for a simple answer to a simple solution."
  • "How do I mix nitric acid with hydrocloric acid without killing myself or turning the house into a gas chamber?"
  • "why cant some just answer the question."

If you're new to the forum, you may feel like some of the members I've quoted above. You just have a little gold or silver you'd like to refine. You don't need someone to write a whole book for you and you don't want to spend years reading through the forum. You just need a quick outline of the best process to use for your material, like they show on YouTube.

The reason no one here wants to give these quick answers is simple. Every process used in recovering and refining precious metals is dangerous. Following are a few accounts written by members of this forum. Following each quote is a link to the post they've come from. These are their real life experiences.

Mandatory reading material for new Help Needed Posters

WARNING!!

It's Time to go legit

Refining gold from connector pins

Thanks Harold

Metal Fume Fever

Separation and Purification Au,Pt,Pd,Ag,Rh,Os,Ir,Ru

BFRC precautions when using AR

Nitrogen Dioxide MSDS

HCl/Cl Leach of Honeycombs and Beads PHOTOS

Stannous chloride Colors?

I hope these accounts will help you to understand some of the hazards involved in what we discuss on this forum. I sympathize with those who just want a quick answer to a simple question. As you study, you'll find that those who have taken the time to educate themselves will, indeed, get quick answers to quick questions. But no one on this forum wants to be responsible for helping a new member hurt themselves or others around them. Please, take your time and follow the advice of those who've come before you. Here's a good place to get started: Tips for Navigating and Posting on the Forum.

Dave

Edited to add a link to a post made by kadriver: Gold Miner Dies Among Chemicals.
Very helpful for me
I'll take care all the safety 🦺

Hello everyone,

I ask this question because it rrally hasn't been mentioned here for as far as I searched. Has anyone tried dissolving carbon ash using Acetone?

Yes? No? How or why not? What may be the outcome what could possibly go wrong? I tried searching a lot but couldn't find it any where.

However, chat gpt recommended that there isn't a need to boil, it will dissolve on it's own. It also says that it releases toxic fumes so im not sure what they may be or how I am supposed to treat it. I needed to double check that info with the members here for confirmation if there are any factors that would need monitoring or anything like that.

If it has been discussed before, would hugely appreciate if anyone could share a link.

Many thanks!

I ask this question because it rrally hasn't been mentioned here for as far as I searched. Has anyone tried dissolving carbon ash using Acetone?

Yes? No? How or why not? What may be the outcome what could possibly go wrong? I tried searching a lot but couldn't find it any where.

What exactly is your goal for wanting to do this?...Knowing what your goals are will determine what/if there are any risks for using acetone.

Why on earth do you want to do that?

google "acetone + carbon reaction" start reading.

The fact that you ask this type of question in this thread is mind-blowing.

Please do not ask chat gpt how to refine. Read the disclaimer first.

Did you search for "MSDS acetone"?
Or "incompatibel combinations with acetone" Or risks of the combination you propose?
That would be the way we prefer you to do your research, so my simple answer to your simple question would have to be; NO! you don't understand enough to do anything with chemicals. Stop and study.

Read this thread from the beginning... or at least page one.
If you had, you would have not asked this here, if you did, you did not read it well enough, or do not understand the dangers involved well enough.

Martijn.

What exactly is your goal for wanting to do this?...Knowing what your goals are will determine what/if there are any risks for using acetone.
Well long story short, I just wanted to check if it could be possible. I got my ICs burned and crushed. Gravity separation uses a LOT of water. And here in my area we literally have to purchase tap water. Somedays we don't even get that because the Mafia's dont supply it. Hence an issue. So I was just thinking if there could be another way around treating the ashes. Sluicing it down also creates a water mess. Gravity separation is another issue. But I guess after just reading Martijn's comment, Ill do my research first then see if it can be done.

That's really bad to hear.

Try to recycle your water and properly burn the ashes to wash them off easily. Water can be filtered, cleaned and reused. Used dishwater e.g., it already has surface breaking properties to prevent floaters.

If obtaining water is such an issue, will refining be a realistic option for you? Scrapping e-waste may be more profitable for you. There is not much margin om e-waste as is, you have extra challenges.

What do you think the mafia does as soon as they hear about your new hobby?
Will they come and buy your pm's at a premium with a 'thank you sir'?
No they will "employ" you, demanding more and more every time they come to collect your hard work. You won't be allowed to quit by the way. Safety will be the last concern of your new employer.
Get out or move if you can.

That's really bad to hear.

Try to recycle your water and properly burn the ashes to wash them off easily. Water can be filtered, cleaned and reused. Used dishwater e.g., it already has surface breaking properties to prevent floaters.

If obtaining water is such an issue, will refining be a realistic option for you? Scrapping e-waste may be more profitable for you. There is not much margin om e-waste as is, you have extra challenges.

What do you think the mafia does as soon as they hear about your new hobby?
Will they come and buy your pm's at a premium with a 'thank you sir'?
No they will "employ" you, demanding more and more every time they come to collect your hard work. You won't be allowed to quit by the way. Safety will be the last concern of your new employer.
Get out or move if you can.
Im sincerely moved by your concern. I had to make a hard decision to let go of this hobby-business as it is. It breaks my heart to even make this confession because even finding and buying scrap here locally is really tough. The material is often moved between lobbies that buy and sell amongst themselves. Learned it the hard way through.

The only reason im doing this now is I have a few kilos of ram boards lying around since a year and I just want to process these and get it done with.

Hopefully no Mafia guy should come to me by the way! 😂 Im trying the whole non chemical process for this. Fingers will be treated with a solder iron and the foils will be melted as is.

@4metals , @eaglekeeper WOW! THATS SOMETHING NEW! GOD REALLY BLESS ALL OF YOU!

Thanks, ill just go through this and see if this setup is feasible enough. Hope for this I dont get any Mafia guys. Lol

Even if not for refining it can still be used. Lets see.

I still wouldn't drink it though.
The setup I referenced they were able to drink it. He was very selective about which gray water went into his reservoir and he filtered out the solids beforehand.

These things are quite simple to build so Najam could make one for single pass water to use for refining. And a second to pass water through a second time for consumption.

Turning on a faucet had having potable water flow endlessly is something I always thought of as a given. Scary thought to have that run dry!!!

Latest posts

Back