Will This Work? AR Fume Filtration.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be a little off topic, but I saw the mention of ashes and water and had to speak up. Brought back some painful memories from a deer hide I tanned with it when I was about 10 years old. I didn't know it until my knuckles started to split open, that hardwood ashes in water will make lye. It's the first step in an old process for making lye soap. So if anyone is going to mix ashes and water for any reason, please wear gloves! Eye protection wouldn't be a bad idea either! Y'all be safe!

The hardwood ashes will not tan the deer hide, we use the hardwood ash to remove the hair from the hide before tanning, basically to make raw hide, the ashes in rain water makes a caustic solution (lye or caustic soda) the caustic soda water takes the oils from the hide making soap, the swelling hide can then be DE-haired with simple scraping (to make raw hide before tanning the leather... (if the hide is left too long in the caustic solution and warmer temperature where the reactions are intinsified, the hide itself can dissolve in the caustic solution) a hide left too long in the caustic bath can become holy raw hides. :lol:
Gloves are a good idea.
Glasses or a face shield are a must, caustic soda in your eyes is one way to easily go blind, as your eye ball dissolves. Even washing your eyes with water is not much help if you get caustic soda in them, it takes tons of water to neutralize a drop of caustic, and who in their right mind would want to pour acid in your eyes to neutralize the caustic in their eyes while the caustic is dissolving their eyeballs?

I never personally wear gloves when De-hairing or tanning hides, but my hands have always been so callused, the caustic solution just made my hands cleaner and a bit more softer by removing the harder callused skin.

The hydroxide or caustic solution will make soap from the oils in your skin, if left long enough in solution it can dissolve all of the meat from your bones.

Back in the olden days when men sailed in ships on long voyages, when someone died on the ship they had two choices of dealing with the body, to dump it overboard burial at sea, or sometimes they may have wished to store the body to be buried on land, which may take months to reach land. without refrigeration or a way to safely store the body (and not creating disease on ship) they would pack the body in wooden barrels of caustic soda (fresh water and wood ash), the caustic solution would eat all the flesh from the bones, they could then dump this soap overboard, and dry the bleached bones and haul them with them until they reached land for burial.

Very true sir. Butcher you are a wealth of information. I am thoroughly enjoying your posts! I should have mentioned it as the first step in tanning that hide. First one I successfully completed, and made myself a nice pair of knee high moccs with it after waiting a few weeks for my young soft hands to heal up! By the way, a mix of the brain and liver on rubbed into the raw side and the hair will just wipe off after about a day if you keep it warm!

Back