will this work for a fume hood

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usage Laboratories, Chemical Industry Pharmaceutical unit

We are instrumental in offering Polypropylene Wall Mounted Fume Extractor. Our engineers have precisely designed this product to meet the needs of varied industry applications. These are manufactured from supreme grade components in compliance with the set industry standards. Moreover, clients can avail this product from us in different specifications as per their exact needs.
We bring forth for our clients an array of Wall Mounted Fume Extractor, which is used to ventilate the contaminated air. This helps in keeping the workplace and user safe from harmful fumes. Our range of Wall Mounted extractors is appreciated for its high performance, durability & perfect finish and finds usage in laboratories, pharmaceutical units, and production environments.

https://www.spotextractor.com/wall-mounted-fume-extractors.html

Attachments

• -1x-1.jpg
    -1x-1.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 34
I am here posting because of Streetips and yes I have seen the reactions (and vapour cloud) from various refining techniques. I have watched well over 30 hours of his content in the least month alone. I am posting here to learn all I can before setting up.

A student completing his PhD in chemistry at the University of Sydney is not your local college my good man.
I am not trying to be a dick (I assure you) as I can come over that way to some people.

Videos of Streetips doing karat scrap gold refining (over 1 kg of scrap) were sent to Abhishek (PhD in chemistry) and he asked "why would you need a fume hood for such small reactions?"
"You have a one-ring hot plate and 200 ml of acid going into a 3000ml receptacle whats with the full-on fume hood?"

The company I reached out to clearly defined the extraction capabilities of the product they are providing and it was clearly defined as rated to remove Nitric/Hydroclori and sulfuric acid fumes from reactions on base metals ... I asked specifically. The fans are rated for corrosive fumes as is all the ducting they supply.
You are welcome to contact them.
https://www.spotextractor.com/wall-mounted-fume-extractors.htmlThe Whatsapp contact is +91 99130 00626

The safety aspects of refining metals with acids can not be underestimated but making it sound like you are working in a BSL4 lab is just blatant over-dramatisation.
Rule NO.1 extract all the emissions = check.
Rule NO.2 do not get 78% Nitric acid on your skin or in your eyes (wear safety gloves/glasses) = check.
Rule NO.3 do not get 1,064 °C molten gold on your trouser leg = check.
Rule NO.4 do not sprinkle sodium metabisulfite on your corn-flakes = check.

Would I recommend that some of the people I have seen posting here (in need of fast-buck) mess around with these products and techniques? Nope!
Is it safe if you follow rules 1 through 4 ... absolutely 100%

So my contention is that a free-standing fume hood (which is bulky and a pain in the arse to work in) is not compulsory and even overrated and outdated. Your objective is to remove fumes so that you do not get gold fever and potentially die from hyper-toxicity ... once that has been accomplished there is nothing left to discuss.
Feel free to tell me if I have missed anything?

Also calling Sreetips a master chef is just pure comedy gold ...
I think Steve aka Kadriver is a top man as the content he has provided is the best you will find (that I have seen). But to call him a PhD in theoretical physics is stretching the limits of credibility.

When you watch him adding nitric acid to Aqua regia boiling sessions and he then says "oh why not" and puts in another 3 ml (that is not precision). He is precise where he needs to be ... inquartation figures for gold with silver or copper - he will get out his calculator and a pad but the rest is by eye and feel. This is why I have ripped all the good tutorials to MP4 - because you can see how much at each step he adds to the receptacle.
When you watch as much of his content a month as I have (I have ripped the good tutorials to MP4) you will see that if there is one thing it lacks - it is a formula that is carved in marble.
If you follow the exact methodology you see in a Streetips video you would need to be a shaved monkey to get it wrong. I will not even bother with testing the gold in the solution with some filter paper because if you have followed the exact methodology ... of course that 156 gm of gold is in solution ... it is not interdimensional physics FFS!

My grandmother used to make some of the best chocolate gateau you will ever taste and she could do it every time without fail. But she did not have an IQ of 167 and was lecturing at the Imperial College London at the weekends ...
I am going to watch some more Streetips content.

Ray Gun ...
Like I tell my wife all the time, You do you, I do me... I personally do not like breathing in acid fumes or, especially sulfur dioxide fumes from the refining process. I will keep my fume hood. If you like to breathe those, feel free my man.

Back