Yamaha organ bus bars

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solar_plasma

Yamaha organ bus bars

Is it massive gold?
What may the non-magnetic spring be made of?

Attachments

• IMG_6009_DxO-1.jpg
    IMG_6009_DxO-1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 410
Hi Bjørn. Yes it is solid gold. You have close to one gram in the Yamaha organ, if the bass busbars isent made of massive palladium wire :D
The other metal is normaly chrome stell,but yours are not magnetic, so maybe Cr18 Ni 8 steel? I use to cut the tip of the bussbars with a scissors and let HCl do the job.But i dont know with this kind of stell.
Nice to have you back.
Henrik

I have just scrapped a D-65 and the bars on the steel spring looks like Pd on mine.
The steel is most likely 316 style since it do not react well to HCl, the liqour gets light yellowish green
and thats it. I may need to heat them red hot and try again.
The bus bar itself was graphite covered copper, with a rest bar which looks like brass or gold plated.
Yamaha buss bars.jpg
It has IDE styled connectors and they are fully gold plated.
Two ICs and a CPU are gold plated legs.
Yamaha CPU.jpg
Have anyone refined or scrapped any of these?

Edit: Corrected typing error

Yggdrasil said:
The steel is most likely 316 style since it do not react well to HCl, tghe liqour gets light yellowish green

Hmmm... 316, and most other flavors of stainless, do not react with nitric acid (HNO3), but they will usually readily react with HCl. That doesn't make sense to me.

Dave

I know most SS will react to HCl but it was a claimed that there were classes of SS that did not easily lend itself to dissolving in HCl.
I did use the term "316 style" since we localy call it "acid resistant steel".
Anyway it do not dissolve in HCl, may it be another alloy?
So my plan is to heat it red hot and then try again.
If someone don't have some better advice that is. It is just a minute amount, a gram or two with stainless steel.
How about the CPU, have anyone seen or processed somthing like that?

Yggdrasil said:
I know most SS will react to HCl but it was a claimed that there were classes of SS that did not easily lend itself to dissolving in HCl.
I did use the term "316 style" since we localy call it "acid resistant steel".d somthing like that?

Well, that's why I said "most other flavors of stainless". I don't know them well enough to say which might be resistant to HCl. Just wanted to clarify that you were actually using HCl and getting no reaction.

Dave

I'll give it some time, it is sitting outside in cold conditions just now.

My lab had a cathastrophic power failiure earlier this winter, one of my cats had managed to sneak himself in and toppeled some AP solution into the electric system.
He wasn't my favourite cat the next month or so :x

I have a major electric job coming up soon so I'll fix it then.
Until that, I do the small odd jobs outside and take the extra time.

But of course the current situation will influence reaction speed and time,
will it also influence reaction ability?

How about this CPU, has anyone processed something like this?

Here is an image of the solution
There is something happening, but its very slow, maybe its too cold.
The outside temp is abput 5 degC now

One can see a couple of blades in the bottom center, as one can see they are virtully untouched.
Bus bar blades in HCl.jpg

Although this thread is older, I wanted to share my recent experience of dismantling a Yamaha organ. When I cut the springs at the tip, I noticed that the tiny wires looked like gold to me. I put them into a 53% nitric acid solution, which dissolved the springs immediately and left the wires behind. The wires weighed 0.5g at best, and I did not find any PMs in the solution.

The busbar appears to be copper coated with a black substance.

Additionally, I found two Yamaha ICs with gold-plated legs. There might be some silver or even a bit of Palladium in the contacts, but that's about it.

Although I took out some MLCCs and possibly Tantalum-bearing capacitors, overall, I was slightly disappointed with the yield. I acquired a second organ, but my children have confiscated it, and I would be heartbroken to dismantle it ;-)

Although this thread is older, I wanted to share my recent experience of dismantling a Yamaha organ. When I cut the springs at the tip, I noticed that the tiny wires looked like gold to me. I put them into a 53% nitric acid solution, which dissolved the springs immediately and left the wires behind. The wires weighed 0.5g at best, and I did not find any PMs in the solution.

Additionally, I found two Yamaha ICs with gold-plated legs. There might be some silver or even a bit of Palladium in the contacts, but that's about it.

Although I took out some MLCCs and possibly Tantalum-bearing capacitors, overall, I was slightly disappointed with the yield. I acquired a second organ, but my children have confiscated it, and I would be heartbroken to dismantle it ;-)
Keep the kids happy👍

Keep the kids happy👍

I understand what you're saying, but...😈

These organs are being given away for free, and some people even begged me to haul them, despite it being too late or too far away. I thought it would be a great addition to my scrapping guide, but I'm disappointed with the results. There aren't many Hammond organs in my area, and the one I dismantled up to the last screw didn't reveal any hidden PM treasures.

I paid 200 Euros for the truck and spent an entire day driving around to find three organs. One of them was the Yamaha organ, which was disappointing. Then there's the one in the photo, the Galanti X360 , which is supposed to be high-quality Italian-made and must have been expensive at the time if my research is correct.

Does anyone have any information on its internals? I can't seem to open it to look inside without breaking it... .. for the sake of the kids of course!

20230505_091349.jpg

The bus bar has tiny slots in the black coating, that expose a spiral wire contact.
No one has tested any in the Facebook group I'm in. We have over 40 Yamaha organ breakdowns, very few members have preformed testing.

Janieaviary-image-1683314966670.jpeg

Screenshot_2023-05-05-14-24-01-1~2.png

I have scrap many brands of organs, the only one i scrap now is Yamaha ,Hammond og maybe Conn organs. If they cost more than 10 euro or more than 50 km driving i do not buy them.
I have not try a Galanty organ. If the organ keys are weighted 2 or 3 levels( the best), there are better chances for a good yield. Non weighted organs is usual low yield, or no precious metal at all.
Let your kids play the organ, it is the greatest value.
Henrik

I just came across a storage unit full of organs being given away, Allen, Baldwin, and another I don’t recall.
Does anyone have any info on these types?
>New member, first post, go easy on me.
I’ve got photos if that would help.

Does anyone have any information on its internals? I can't seem to open it to look inside without breaking it... .. for the sake of the kids of course!
That organ looks identical to my old "Farfisa" organ, even the "drum unit" on the lower right. However, I did not find any information when I quickly searched for "Galanti X360" on Farfisa's website. I dismantled my Farfisa organ a few years ago and actually have a box with a lot of circuit boards, wiring diagrams, manuals and other things saved in a drawer somewhere. Plus a genuine "Leslie unit" that was built into the organ. Is there a Leslie in your Galanti 360? Wouldn't be surprised if our organs are same-same, but different. Exciting 😊

I just came across a storage unit full of organs being given away, Allen, Baldwin, and another I don’t recall.
Does anyone have any info on these types?
>New member, first post, go easy on me.
I’ve got photos if that would help.
We have over 300 organ breakdowns posted in an album, on the Facebook group I help admin.
I'll send you our link in private message.
Be sure to answer, why you want to join and I'll tag you with the album.

Janie

We have over 300 organ breakdowns posted in an album, on the Facebook group I help admin.
I'll send you our link in private message.
Be sure to answer, why you want to join and I'll tag you with the album.

Janie
I just saw this message, and I’ve recently joined the group as well, it’s been a huge help with many topics. My name there is Herbert.

Back