Yes, I really am Aphrodite.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphrodite

:shock: I am putting that out there first, because I do not want to waste time telling people that it is my name. I get that a lot, and I am not here to discuss my name, lol. :D

First off, I do not want to be in the refining, smelting business. I must applaud all of you that do this, but I realize the dangers, and I am actually worried about even boiling the water that I have collected. There are children here, and even if there weren't, I value my health. I do not have the proper equipment to do anything with my ore. I have dust masks, and goggles. That is it.

I live in Colorado. I love to sing Karaoke', and I am an unemployed electrician. :D

I have been perusing this site to learn about the ore that I have, as well as many, many other sites on the Internet. I joined this one, because I am detailed oriented for the most part, and you seem to be the most informative site. I learned just last night what my colored water is. I had already figured out the Rhodium salts were what was making the pink water, but I had assumed that the orange/gold was gold, lol! Now I know it is a sign of platinum. Good to know, and I bookmarked the page.

I do not use the same chemicals that are used for leaching gold. I have used vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice to soften the material, and hydrogen peroxide as well, but not only do I not want to use other acids, I could not afford them if I was brave enough to use them, lol.

My ore is "Calavarite," from the "Clear Creek" district, so where is my gold? I have seen some small pieces mixed in with my Silver/white concentrate, but I may be dealing with micro everything. I have learned from this, and I have figured out why PGM's are so rare. They are pushed out of the pan as silt, and they hide within the black sands, because they appear to be black when wet, but silver/white when dry. I know this, because I muddied the water hoping to collect micro gold in my water, and then ended up with beautiful dark purple colored silt. It is not silt, lol! :D I also noticed that while panning in a fluorescent light, my back porch light, that the black stuff on the bottom of my pan was shiny, so I began collecting it. It is really fine, and as I said, it turns white when it dries. I also figured out that the light shows the gold in the dirt from a mine that was collected. Everything looks plain during daylight hours, but the light reveals the metals at night.

I had put my water away, and did not know it was changing color. It sat for a couple of months, hidden on the patio. I boiled one bottle of water, and it gave a really beautiful colored hue when looked at in the sun. I had read about sulfides, and decided that I did not know enough to continue boiling, so I left the water alone, and continued panning. I tried to smelt once, but my so-called pyrite did nothing. I watched as flames tore apart everything else in my iron pan, and the end result was no change, because it is not silver pyrite. I am not sure why people always assume that if it is not yellow, then it is pyrite, but they do. Upon discovering this I continued researching, and figured out that pyrite would have been totally obliterated by the heat.

I figured out that the silt, while it appears to be the same color, it is not. It changes to different colors as it sits in my chlorinated water. I did not realize that the jet dry had chlorine in it. When I switched to regular dish washing liquid out of necessity, the water did not change color. Confusing, but I learned the importance of using chlorinated soap. I have Rhodium chloride in a jar from this. I have jars with different shades of materials, but no black sand.

I have been collecting the silver/white material in a 10 oz. mushroom jar for months now. It weighs a little over a pound, and a half. It is almost full, but I do not have money to send it to have it tested. I collect cans for a living, lol! Not kidding. I have been trying desperately to find a company that will smelt my materials, and send me the payment. Does such a company exist? All of them seem to want me to smelt it first, which I will not, and cannot do.

I had thought that I had found a few, but they do not return emails. Can you help me with this?

Thank you for your time, and consideration.
Respectfully and sincerely, Aphrodite <3

Hi there Bjorn,

Thank you for your prompt reply!

I do not have money to send it anywhere to have it assayed. Interestingly enough, I saw pink powder when breaking down the ore. I had no idea what it was. All I have been doing is crushing it into a fine talc, and panning. I have no idea where to send it for anything. This is my very first time ever trying this. The ore rocks were collected years ago, and have just sat in the yard. They were collected in Clear Creek County, because the road crew that was widening the highway found gold. Many people gathered them. I have seen very little gold,
it seems to contain mainly PGM's, and possibly silver. I do have a powder that looks like it could be Silver Chloride. I do not know what I am supposed to be doing. That is why I am here, lol. :oops:

Find and study the books mentioned in this forum about assaying and ore. I haven't tried a lot of it myself yet, but I have read enough about assaying to say, it is all there.

Also, you should study alot before doing anything chemical, hot or wet, with your ores, some ores are alot more nasty than anything we do in refining. Your weak acids do not make anything much more safe, - poison is poison, as chloride as well as citrate or acetate.

Only some links:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14580

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=274&start=20

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14580#p146618

There is a better link, I just can't find it right now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I seriously doubt you have any precious metals in solution. You didn't dissolve anything but maybe some calcium carbonate as in limestone. Rhodium is hard to dissolve in hot AR so I doubt lemon juice and vinegar will do it. Try and pan and keep any yellow gold you find. Anyways, good luck.

Thank you Bjorn for your thoughtful post, and the links. I have already downloaded the free "Hokes," as well as several other PDF's. I also started a file in my bookmarks, because I was getting lost on the site, lol. I bookmarked the terminology page, and learned that my powder, talc, silt, sediment, is called "sponge?" I was glad to learn this, because now I understand why I was having problems explaining what material it is that I have to the Refining Companies that I have contacted.

solar_plasma said:
Also, you should study a lot before doing anything chemical, hot or wet, with your ores, some ores are a lot more nasty than anything we do in refining.

I have researched extensively since finding out about the color change, and I will not do anything with it other than to let it dry in the sun, at the back of my yard. I keep it in an old barbecuer with the lid on. Lucky for me it has been hot here, lol. I would not have any, "sponge" otherwise.

solar_plasma said:
Your weak acids do not make anything much more safe, - poison is poison, as chloride as well as citrate or acetate.

The reason that I use vinegar and baking soda, lemon juice and salt, and peroxide is because that is what I am used to, and I had already researched them years ago. I still do not get near them once I have mixed them, except with caution. They can burn the lungs. I also have read the EPA study on mixing these. I am cautious, but I appreciate your concern, as it is worth mentioning.

Jon, Thank you for your inquiry. I have possibly a ton of the Ore, known as Calavarite. I will have to do an inventory of the other materials. I need to buy a bathroom scale in order to weigh them. The only reason that I know that the jar of silvery white material is slightly over a pound and a half is because I took it grocery shopping, and used their vegetable scale, lol. Hopefully it is accurate.

I took photos of a lot of the materials, including the water. I have "sponge" in different colors, silvery white, yellow orange, different shades of tan, actual white, and then I have the material left over from panning. There is a lot of sparkly materials still within this material, but it has the appearance of having gold content, and possibly still more PGM's. It is also "sponge," and may only produce the metal content with actual smelting. I really believe that this material contains my gold.

There is a guy in Arvada, Colorado with 8 tons that he is selling from the same area, I am certain. I found his advertisement on Craigs List.

Thank you Geo.

Geo said:
You didn't dissolve anything but maybe some calcium carbonate as in limestone. Rhodium is hard to dissolve in hot AR so I doubt lemon juice and vinegar will do it.

I was trying not to be misunderstood, but of course I left out the details of what I was trying to do. My apologies. I did not realize that there were PGM's. What I was trying to do was reduce the ore size by using the acids, and using Hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizing agent to break down the Ore, and leach out the gold. What I did not realize was that these also worked as a corrosive substance to aid in breaking down the Chalcopyrite content, which my research shows holds PGM's within. It beats using the sledge hammer, but I still had to use the sledge to powder my materials for panning anyway. So, I lucked out with it. I knew it was corrosive, but I did not realize that I had Chalcopyrite, (or that it would break it down.) until I took some tiny pieces to a Jeweler to identify, then I researched the Chalcopyrite, PGM connection after the water changed.

I regret that I was researching, and I did not realize that you were all posting. I did however learn a lot from the research, and then I became overwhelmed with the threads on this site. I took a break in order to attempt to organize myself, and my bookmarks. I also use notepad to write my posts, and then I proofread them, and copy and paste them. This takes time, but I find it to be more efficient than just typing in a post, and losing it. I hope you do not mind that it took me so long to respond. For a newbie, this forum can be a bit overwhelming.

Thank you for your time, and consideration.
Respectfully and Sincerely,
Aphrodite <3

Apologies for necroposting--I'm still tooling around here.

According to mindat.org, Calaverite is a gold telluride (AuTe2) named for Calaveras County in California. If you follow the link, there's about 75 pictures of the mineral you can use to compare with your rock at home.

Since Calaverite is the gold ore itself, it's important to point out that what you have is potentially Calaverite-bearing rock, not Calaverite.

Alas, while I'm a lapidary, I know next to nothing about mining and ore extraction, so my advice would be the same as others here: assay.

Back