Your input needed regarding the gold I bought (well sorta)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F4ttk4tt

While cleaning out an abandoned storage unit I won at auction I came across a bucket with remnants of circuit boards that had obviously been through a chemical bath for the removal of gold. Coincidentally I researched this process a couple of years ago via You Tube thence my recognizing what It was I had discovered. Long story short there was/is a separate bucket (approximately 1.5 gallons) filled with a gold/yellow liquid which presumably is aqua regia or a solution that's ready for the gold precipitation process so what do I do now?

First you need to figure out what it is, BEFORE you attempt to do anything. So let's start by me asking this question, was every piece of steel in that storage unit covered in a thick layer of rust? Was the door, ceiling, walls, pipes for the fire sprinkler system (basically anything that is non ferrous metal) covered in rust?

Take a copper wire and dip it in the bottle. Does it fizzle and start to release a brown gas? Then there is a lot of nitric acid left in the liquid.

If it doesn't fizzle, does it start to get a black or white fluffy cover? Then you have precious metals in solution. There is a chance that there is mercury in solution too, but that will form a gray to silvery film that sticks hard to the copper wire.

That is a quick and dirty test of what you have. There are a lot of different liquids that could look like gold in solution so color isn't a good indication.

Come back with the result and pictures and we can guide you further.

Göran

Back