Deep blue stannous chloride test

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello sorry new to this help thing, I will read everything full and reproach this thank you. They are 7 different bags of contactor tips that ranged from different types of things, they were torched for combustibles then Dissolved with sixty seven percent nitric acid, also the photo is after filtering from 2 hour boil with AR at a 4 to1 mix, it is 1 pound 10 ounces of left overs I xrf-ed and gave me a lot of PM's at varying amounts. After triple filtering today I have a dark dark blue liquid showing platinum and possibly gold, see photo of stannous test Decanting. for drop.
Looks like tungsten blue.
Molybdenum does it too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_blue (rather interesting article, by the way).

In my experience, some W dissolves (less so than say, Mo, which in nitric will dissolve all the way) and this when hit with stannous or in the presence of certain reducing agents forms these complex cluster ions that have a very intense blue color.

Likely molybdenum. That can go orange under certain circumstances

This is correct & because Mo can show up orange on a stannous test it can make you "think" you have Pt in solution when in fact you don't

In other words - if you have Mo in solution it can give you a "false" positive for Pt

Kurt

Back