Deep blue stannous chloride test

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good afternoon! Here are the pics of the materials, the top is the platinum solution in AR, along with the stannous test at the top and the nitric solution at the bottom with the blue stannous test.

These ceramic chips did not have any legs they were BGA style and from what I could see I didn’t see any gold bonding wires or any gold in them whatsoever, which is why I opted for a nitric leach first to see if it was some kind of alloy what metal I would get first. It seems there is a bit of platinum in the AR but as Yggdrasil said I will burn the remaining chips and grind them up finer to extract the rest. The stannous test for the AR solution with platinum shows up yellow but disappears fairly quickly so I’d assume there is not a whole lot in solution.

I was just really confused on this blue stannous! Never seen such a deep blue color before and I could not find ANYTHING online about it, I’ll do some research and see how to extract the tungsten or molybdenum, I’m hoping it’s fairly simple and straightforward! Has anybody here extracted them from a nitric leach before? Any tips?

Thanks again everyone!
There is no Pt in modern style consumer electronics.
So where did it come from?

There is no Pt in modern style consumer electronics.
So where did it come from?
It had to of come from these CPUs, I’ve never dealt with any sort of platinum on this table before, I could be getting a false positive from some other kind of metal in solution though. Not sure.

It could’ve been slightly alloyed with whatever is in the nitric solution? Anyway, I’m going to crush up those chips some more and reprocess them and see if it produces the same color result in the stannous test or not.

Also these were telecom boards, I don’t think these were consumer grade, they were most likely in some kind of commercial setting I would think.

It had to of come from these CPUs, I’ve never dealt with any sort of platinum on this table before, I could be getting a false positive from some other kind of metal in solution though. Not sure.

It could’ve been slightly alloyed with whatever is in the nitric solution? Anyway, I’m going to crush up those chips some more and reprocess them and see if it produces the same color result in the stannous test or not.

Also these were telecom boards, I don’t think these were consumer grade, they were most likely in some kind of commercial setting I would think.
The only boards and electronic components holding any Pt of any significance is old Soviet style components.
And the odd space or aeronautic equipment.

The only boards and electronic components holding any Pt of any significance is old Soviet style components.
And the odd space or aeronautic equipment.
Then it very well may not be Pt but something else, I’ll try to get another picture of the test but like I said the stannous will show up yellow but then lose any color after around ten seconds, not sure what that could be then.

I have the same issue with an 11 pound run of contact tips, about 3/4 of the way through the run. I got a deep navy blue and even with washing it and then AR It's still turned blue going to incineration now. Stannous test turned it even darker blue and then almost a black but did not dissolve. Anyone figure out what the he'll this is????

Attachments

• 20240428_171036.jpg
    20240428_171036.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240428_171051.jpg
    20240428_171051.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240428_171058.jpg
    20240428_171058.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1714338876116988895702573451426.jpg
    1714338876116988895702573451426.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I have the same issue with an 11 pound run of contact tips, about 3/4 of the way through the run. I got a deep navy blue and even with washing it and then AR It's still turned blue going to incineration now. Stannous test turned it even darker blue and then almost a black but did not dissolve. Anyone figure out what the he'll this is????
Welcome
First I suggest you put your things aside and study.
Next, you have not given us enough information to be able to help you.
What kind of contact points, how were they dissolved and so on.

Her is fro your studies:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/safety.47/
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/

Suggested reading:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/the-library.101/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...le-read-this-before-you-post-about-ore.33333/

Forum rules is here.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

Posting picture of some sludge with blue liquid won´t get us anywhere. Take 5 minutes and specify what you dissolved, how, how much this and that you used, how it behaved, complete/incomplete dissolution (?), what tests did you performed etc...

Hello sorry new to this help thing, I will read everything full and reproach this thank you. They are 7 different bags of contactor tips that ranged from different types of things, they were torched for combustibles then Dissolved with sixty seven percent nitric acid, also the photo is after filtering from 2 hour boil with AR at a 4 to1 mix, it is 1 pound 10 ounces of left overs I xrf-ed and gave me a lot of PM's at varying amounts. After triple filtering today I have a dark dark blue liquid showing platinum and possibly gold, see photo of stannous test Decanting. for drop.

Attachments

• 20240429_180827.jpg
    20240429_180827.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Hello sorry new to this help thing, I will read everything full and reproach this thank you. They are 7 different bags of contactor tips that ranged from different types of things, they were torched for combustibles then Dissolved with sixty seven percent nitric acid, also the photo is after filtering from 2 hour boil with AR at a 4 to1 mix, it is 1 pound 10 ounces of left overs I xrf-ed and gave me a lot of PM's at varying amounts. After triple filtering today I have a dark dark blue liquid showing platinum and possibly gold, see photo of stannous test Decanting. for drop.
First I hope you have stopped this and are studying now.
We need much more information if we should be able to help you.

What kind of gear did they come from?
Nitric acid and Tin do not play well together so if any contained Tin that may be the cause for some of the sludge.
Additionally if you have Silver in there the leach need to be completely Chloride free, this means Distilled water and no HCl, hence no AR.
The blue is from one of the metals dissolved I can't say which.
Depending on the origin, Platinum is unlikely.
A picture of your raw material may help some.

Does the XRF of the sludge show any tungsten or cobalt? I don't know what type of contacts you have but some can use tungsten or WCCO alloys. AR has problems digesting higher % of tungsten and can leave a sludge in the filter. Most likely the blue is from copper.

Does the XRF of the sludge show any tungsten or cobalt? I don't know what type of contacts you have but some can use tungsten or WCCO alloys. AR has problems digesting higher % of tungsten and can leave a sludge in the filter. Most likely the blue is from copper.
Welcome to us

First I hope you have stopped this and are studying now.
We need much more information if we should be able to help you.

What kind of gear did they come from?
Nitric acid and Tin do not play well together so if any contained Tin that may be the cause for some of the sludge.
Additionally if you have Silver in there the leach need to be completely Chloride free, this means Distilled water and no HCl, hence no AR.
The blue is from one of the metals dissolved I can't say which.
Depending on the origin, Platinum is unlikely.
A picture of your raw material may help some.
That is what's left after the silver extraction and Incineration. Unfortunately I was just given bags and asked to recover and refine. So I have no idea

No tungsten or cobalt only 2% copper and that's when it started ill post more this is just a side thing

So I melted all 11 lbs. Turned into shot, Dissolved in nitric acid. Went to convert to metallic silver with copper to then re-melt and run in My 8.5L silver cell. 3/4 of the way threw I went to put the copper in and the whole beaker turned dark blue like in and only dropped 1/2 of what it should have Yielded and from then on same problem so I'm not sure. Also it doesn't cement anything on the xrf when I add calcium hydroxide to start over. Maybe I'm just going to have to read more papers and research 🙃 😅

So I melted all 11 lbs. Turned into shot, Dissolved in nitric acid. Went to convert to metallic silver with copper to then re-melt and run in My 8.5L silver cell. 3/4 of the way threw I went to put the copper in and the whole beaker turned dark blue like in and only dropped 1/2 of what it should have Yielded and from then on same problem so I'm not sure. Also it doesn't cement anything on the xrf when I add calcium hydroxide to start over. Maybe I'm just going to have to read more papers and research 🙃 😅
What was the point of the Hydroxide?
Stop and study now.

nothing is clear, but very interesting (c).
together with silver it happens:
tin
lead
cadmium
bismuth....

Back