Processing SilverPlate With H2O Cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Leisure time". I know... its almost a foreign concept. I had alot more time for refining... before I had three kids and a job that demands a big chunk of my personnal time. Its a big part of the reason I barely have any time for refining anymore.

To that point... In all of 2023, I may have refined 1-2 kilos of silver and 3 ozt of gold. Just dont have the time for it anymore. Now I live vicariously through all you good folks on the GRF! 😆

What is leisure time ?😂
I keep picking up silver plated flat ware for .25 $ when looking for Pyrex .
Need to tackle that my self one day
Even more... I have absolutely no time for thrift shopping, yard/garage sales, or estate sales... let alone refining. I barely have the time for online auctions. I haven't purchased any PM scrap in over a year. Just working through the last bits of stock I have before figuring out what to do next... if anything. I love refining, but cant buy scrap, refine it, and turn it around fast enough to make it worth it anymore.

At one point, I frequently had two, 4L silver cells running simultaneously. Last time I ran a batch was probably July 2023, and I only ran one cell for about 900g of .9999 fine Ag.

Last edited:
I'm with Butcher and Geo, there is something in the water that makes his work for you. As far as I know deionized water is a very good insulator and shouldn't be able to conduct any current at all. Are you using tap water?

If you are watching the silver come off in flakes then you aren't dissolving the silver, you are attacking the metal below and the silver plating is dropping off.

What happens if you use a pure silver object? If your solution is attacking the silver in silver plate then it should do it with a massive silver object too.

Anyhow, an interesting way to do things, maybe something usable will come out of this. Keep us posted.

Btw Butcher, colloidals doesn't have to be metals, a good (pun intended) counter example is colloidal fat in milk. :-D

/Göran
What if there are also, minute amounts of nitrates in the water? Would that not also, contribute to a momentary dissolving of the silver and then, the chlorides in the water might convert the silver nitrate to silver chloride.. Just a thought.

What if there are also, minute amounts of nitrates in the water? Would that not also, contribute to a momentary dissolving of the silver and then, the chlorides in the water might convert the silver nitrate to silver chloride.. Just a thought.
You are commenting a 12 year old post mate.

Nitrates are ionic salts and would absolutely conduct electricity when dissolved in water.
And they would facilitate, to a small degree, the removal of some silver from silver plate. The white cloud coming off my silver plate during reverse electroplating reminded me of what happens when chloride is added to silver nitrate solution. Just sayin'. May not be what's happening though.

I realize that, but I am not sure why you think that old discussions can't be supplemented. Since I am reading it presently I would guess that there may be others doing the same. Not sure why it matters when comments or ideas are made.
Of course it can be revived, but the one you comment to might not be accessible for comments in these old posts.

Back