Waste treatment system at Gold Refinery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your comment , we have UK certified trained assayer for only gold. Metal hydroxide we do our own ICP machine. But copper (third party ) buyer assay more than our numbers. often we sent to " Inspectorate - UK ". unfortunately very poor report , therefore i want to know any other laboratory to check our metal hydroxide. we are getting paid - Gold , Silver , Palladium , Platinum , Copper.
Note ; Our guys are new to ICP

Last edited:
The reason I asked my question is that if you have an assay lab for assaying your incoming 750 gold scrap as well as assaying your finished refined gold product - then you also already have the assay lab you need to assay you hydroxides

It is just a matter of "reducing" the hydroxides to metals that can be assayed in the same way as your incoming metals & your finished refined product

There are a couple (few) ways to reduce the hydroxides - for assay - which we can help you with

Kurt
// There are a couple (few) ways to reduce the hydroxides - for assay - which we can help you with // kindly explain to me. thanks

The reason I asked my question is that if you have an assay lab for assaying your incoming 750 gold scrap as well as assaying your finished refined gold product - then you also already have the assay lab you need to assay you hydroxides

It is just a matter of "reducing" the hydroxides to metals that can be assayed in the same way as your incoming metals & your finished refined product

There are a couple (few) ways to reduce the hydroxides - for assay - which we can help you with

Kurt
// There are a couple (few) ways to reduce the hydroxides - for assay - which we can help you with // Please advice accordingly thanks.

Thanks for your comment , we have UK certified trained assayer for only gold. Metal hydroxide we do our own ICP machine. But copper (third party ) buyer assay more than our numbers. often we sent to " Inspectorate - UK ". unfortunately very poor report , therefore i want to know any other laboratory to check our metal hydroxide. we are getting paid - Gold , Silver , Palladium , Platinum , Copper.
How do you prepare your hydroxides for testing. They are not necessarily homogeneous as generated from different refining lots and variation is common. Please outline you sampling method as I think that may be the issue.

"often we sent to " Inspectorate - UK ". unfortunately very poor report "

This comment has caught my attention. Inspectorate labs are qualified labs and if their report was poor it is more than likely that your sample was poor.

Refiners understand the importance of homogeneous sampling. To this end they strive to make this type material homogenous by incinerating, crushing to a fine mesh, and sifting so all of the material is a standard size or smaller. Typically -80 mesh or finer. In this form a refiner will blend a number of drums together to make them all homogeneous before assaying and processing. If you are not shipping material in a form that can be blended and sampled then you surely are not being paid fairly.

You did not say if your feedstock is recycled jewelry scrap or doré material from mines but at 1 ton processed a week it may well be both. You surely sample and assay all of the bars that come into your facility for the same reasons you should be sampling the material you ship out.

Same sample which is prepared by our copper buyer, same parameter what you said. 3 samples one for buyer , one for Inspectorate one for us to keep future analysis.

If the photo you posted when you asked the question is your sample, that is an unprepared grab sample. If you expect reproducible results your sampling needs to improve.

To sample properly, especially 10 tons of material a year, requires some equipment to do it properly. If you are unwilling to spend the time and effort to properly prepare the material, you should inquire if you can go witness the process at the refiners facility.

When a refiner, any refiner, sees samples coming in as you have indicated they realize you do not have your end under control and they can return to you whatever they want. Usually much less value than you expect. But you cannot prove anything.

That is what you tell us, but you told us no detail, so can you please elaborate?
Ygg is absolutely correct, you have told us precious little about the details of your process, yet you expect answers to your problems. We do not know which refiner you represent so there is no danger of word getting out that you have problems. Simply provide details about sampling and other questions we may ask and you will likely get the answers you need.

If the photo you posted when you asked the question is your sample, that is an unprepared grab sample. If you expect reproducible results your sampling needs to improve.

To sample properly, especially 10 tons of material a year, requires some equipment to do it properly. If you are unwilling to spend the time and effort to properly prepare the material, you should inquire if you can go witness the process at the refiners facility.

When a refiner, any refiner, sees samples coming in as you have indicated they realize you do not have your end under control and they can return to you whatever they want. Usually much less value than you expect. But you cannot prove anything.

Ygg is absolutely correct, you have told us precious little about the details of your process, yet you expect answers to your problems. We do not know which refiner you represent so there is no danger of word getting out that you have problems. Simply provide details about sampling and other questions we may ask and you will likely get the answers you need.
The photo just an example for metal hydroxide. this sample will keep in dryer in hours then will send to jaw crush after that will send to ball mill to get fine powder then mixed well to get perfect sample.

This is a dump from a filter press of hydroxides, likely not much different than what comes out of your press. General record keeping allows a refiner to know what process lots generated enough hydroxide to fill the press.
F2E3FA83-3C71-48CD-B47F-01387E4CEA14.JPG
In order to tie the values of payable metals to the entirety of the lots processed through the press, I need to dry an entire drop of the press and crush and sift it. This would give me a quantifiable result for the lots processed. Just reaching into the tray with a shovel and taking a few pounds to process is not indicative of the content of the entire lot.

From your annual estimates, you are likely generating 200 kg of these hydroxides a week. They are not all the same. Just as assays vary from lot to lot, the metals that are carried over into waste treatment vary as well.

If you don't have a ball mill big enough to mill an entire tray at the same time you can use a technique called cone and quartering to divide the sample in a way that it is more representative. Not as good as preparing the entire lot, but better than a scoop here and a scoop there.

"often we sent to " Inspectorate - UK ". unfortunately very poor report "

This comment has caught my attention. Inspectorate labs are qualified labs and if their report was poor it is more than likely that your sample was poor.

Refiners understand the importance of homogeneous sampling. To this end they strive to make this type material homogenous by incinerating, crushing to a fine mesh, and sifting so all of the material is a standard size or smaller. Typically -80 mesh or finer. In this form a refiner will blend a number of drums together to make them all homogeneous before assaying and processing. If you are not shipping material in a form that can be blended and sampled then you surely are not being paid fairly.

You did not say if your feedstock is recycled jewelry scrap or doré material from mines but at 1 ton processed a week it may well be both. You surely sample and assay all of the bars that come into your facility for the same reasons you should be sampling the material you ship out.
Yes recycled jewelry scrap , Typically -80 mesh or finer , homogenous - as you said same specification always i am watching closely .

This is a dump from a filter press of hydroxides, likely not much different than what comes out of your press. General record keeping allows a refiner to know what process lots generated enough hydroxide to fill the press.
View attachment 62873
In order to tie the values of payable metals to the entirety of the lots processed through the press, I need to dry an entire drop of the press and crush and sift it. This would give me a quantifiable result for the lots processed. Just reaching into the tray with a shovel and taking a few pounds to process is not indicative of the content of the entire lot.

From your annual estimates, you are likely generating 200 kg of these hydroxides a week. They are not all the same. Just as assays vary from lot to lot, the metals that are carried over into waste treatment vary as well.

If you don't have a ball mill big enough to mill an entire tray at the same time you can use a technique called cone and quartering to divide the sample in a way that it is more representative. Not as good as preparing the entire lot, but better than a scoop here and a scoop there.
we are always laid the stuff 30 days under than sun about 40 degree desert hot. scoop different spot and keep the sample in oven , jaw crush , ball mill then will get sample for testing.

we are always laid the stuff 30 days under than sun about 40 degree desert hot
40ºC is not drying the hydroxides completely. Surely if you scoop up a pile to the bottom you will see moisture. Hopefully your oven dries it completely.

An interesting experiment would be to take your normal sample and prepare it as you do. Then take everything else from the dried hydroxide filter press lot and cone and quarter it down to a similar sized sample as shown in this video. cone and quarter Take the sample size reduced by coning and quartering and prepare it as you prepare your original sample. Comparing results will tell you how uniform (or homogeneous) your hydroxides are.

40ºC is not drying the hydroxides completely. Surely if you scoop up a pile to the bottom you will see moisture. Hopefully your oven dries it completely.

An interesting experiment would be to take your normal sample and prepare it as you do. Then take everything else from the dried hydroxide filter press lot and cone and quarter it down to a similar sized sample as shown in this video. cone and quarter Take the sample size reduced by coning and quartering and prepare it as you prepare your original sample. Comparing results will tell you how uniform (or homogeneous) your hydroxides are.
Ok will fallow your instructions. Thank you ! // 40ºC is not drying the hydroxides completely // Finlay whole product will put large oven

Last edited:
Back