Silver from plasma display glass

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickbb

I finally got to finish up a project I started a few months ago.

I took some plasma displays, 42" Panasonic professional displays, (not TV's, no tuner in them). Model TH42PHDxxx.

Harvested the plasma display and only processed the front half of the plasma "sandwich", because the back glass has a really tough white coating that I was unable to remove.

I broke the glass up into small bits, smaller than 1 inch square, then soaked 20 lbs. of the broken up glass in dilute nitric acid overnight. Stirred it several times to get the acid on all the shards.

Filtered out the glass through cheese cloth then dropped the silver with salt. Then used the NaOH/sugar method to get metallic silver. Melted out a 0.18 OZT button.

20 lbs. of the clear glass half = 0.18 OZT of silver. I feel the yield could be slightly higher as my technics could use some work. Still that's not a whole lot of silver for the trouble.

The good news is there really is recoverable silver in plasma displays, the bad news is not enough to make any money on it for a part time back yard processer. Unless you don't care about your labor and get your supplies close to free. Maybe at some point the economy of scale would kick it for large scale processer to make it worth the time and trouble.

Hi Rick

Just as an addition to your post, I do have a colleague who specifically goes after the silver in plasma screens and he claims to achieve up to an ounce from each screen. Dependant upon model naturally.

Having said that it does seem like rather a lot of work for very little return as you quite rightly suggested.

Jon

Ruthenium is another recoverable in Plasma Screens.

http://www.platinum.matthey.com/documents/market-review/2006-interim/chapters/other-platinum-group-metals.pdf

Back