Dimethylglyoxime disodium salt octahydrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcoP

Hello,

I was wondering if Dimethylglyoxime disodium salt octahydrate can be used to test or drop values from solutions instead of, the way more expensive, Dimethylglyoxime.

It's a reagent for precipitation of metals and is way cheaper, searched the forums but nothing come up.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, these make me think about concentration and solubility differences.

After looking at some SMDS I found out different solubility levels for each:
Dimethylglyoxime: 0.6g/L at 20°C (0.06%)
Dimethylglyoxime disodium salt octahydrate: 5% at 20°C

Does it means that I need a higher concentration of disodium salt octahydrate to achieve the same results as using dimethylglyoxime?

MarcoP said:
Thanks for the replies, these make me think about concentration and solubility differences.

After looking at some SMDS I found out different solubility levels for each:
Dimethylglyoxime: 0.6g/L at 20°C (0.06%)
Dimethylglyoxime disodium salt octahydrate: 5% at 20°C

Does it means that I need a higher concentration of disodium salt octahydrate to achieve the same results as using dimethylglyoxime?

Yes, the Sodium Ions and water don't take part in the reaction. You will have to adjust your calculations to take them into account.

If you want greater solubility, just dissolve the Dimethylglyoxime in dilute Sodium Hydroxide solution with warming.

The weight percentage of Dimethylglyoxime contained in Dimethylglyoxime disodium salt octahydrate is 38%. It takes 2.62 grams of Dimethylglyoxime disodium salt octahydrate to do the same work as 1 gram of Dimethylglyoxime.

Formula weight of Dimethylglyoxime = 116.12
Formula weight of Dimethylglyoxime disodium salt octahydrate = 304.2

116.12/304.2 = 0.38
304.2/116.12 = 2.62

Back