Mercury as precipitating agent........!!!!?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldfever007

Dear members: :p
I am making a small experiment about gold ore leach using iodine , my question is can i use mercury as precipitate agent to avoid iron and other impurities ? :shock: i heard it work well for halide leach...........true? :roll:
.............................................Thank you..........................................

Stay away from mercury. The toxic waste would be too much for a hobbyist or a small operation. Use of mercury is frowned on in all the aspects of mining and refining. Shorts cuts can wind up costing more than just doing it the proper way to begin with.

If you use iodine you can add a solution of potassium hydroxide to the solution to drop the gold and convert the iodine back to potassium iodide. I used that trick for years on etching solutions used in the hybrid etching process to drop the gold. Not sure how it would work out in the PPM ranges, I always had gold in the 10 - 40 grams per liter concentration.

Latest posts

Back