Buying Wholesale Computer Scrap. Scam or Not?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking into other sources of gold scrap, and I found on a certain wholesale site, gold pins from scrap computer parts for 1-3$ per Kg with a minimum order of 50kg.

How much gold could I expect to get out of it if I were to buy it? I'm hoping the more experienced people on this site will know more than me, as I, the novice that I am, just fell for an ebay gold bar scam like 4 days ago, and this is the same forum that informed me of it. I am hoping it is not too late to get my money back, but I digress. even if it were to take years to refine 50KG of gold scrap, how much could I get out of it in terms of 24k gold?

Am I being a gullible moron again or is this legit?

I don't know, I'll ask the supplier. I did try tineye reverse image searching the images on the listing and they only pinged back with various translated versions of the original wholesale site, as well as the manufacturer's site.
I'd be careful.
The price seem too low.
Is it a reputable site whith a proper return policy or similar?
Like Ebay, Alibaba or similar?

yeah It's alibaba. I thought they were a pretty shady site though, are they not?
The site is good enough, I think.
I have bought good stuff from them but that is new machines.
The question is, how their return policy is for this kind of stuff.
So if the seller can not be trusted, I don't know how you can get the money back.

Are you texting the seller?
If you buy through the Alibaba system I believe there is a certain safety mechanism.
So do not pay directly at least.

Think about it. You say they're selling "gold pins from scrap computer parts for 1-3$ per Kg". I don't process a lot of ewaste, but I think even at the low end, real, gold plated pins should yield at least 1/2 gram per kg. That's at least $25.00 to $30.00 per kg. Why on Earth would anyone sell them for less than 10% of their value?

Sounds like a scam to me.

Dave

Think about it. You say they're selling "gold pins from scrap computer parts for 1-3$ per Kg". I don't process a lot of ewaste, but I think even at the low end, real, gold plated pins should yield at least 1/2 gram per kg. That's at least $25.00 to $30.00 per kg. Why on Earth would anyone sell them for less than 10% of their value?

Sounds like a scam to me.

Dave
Yep, I got an email back and they only take cryto, western union, or other non-reversible transactions. I re-googled the company and it is permanently closed.

I think it's a scam. damn. well at least I didn't fall for it.

If you are ever in doubt of pricing on a site, just skip over to ebay and look for comparable items there and see what they have sold for.
Cheap ain't good and good ain't cheap.

Yep, I got an email back and they only take cryto, western union, or other non-reversible transactions. I re-googled the company and it is permanently closed.

I think it's a scam. damn. well at least I didn't fall for it.
I dont buy any scrap online, since shipping cost are high, most of the sellers are scammers. (once I bought 2 kg of ram sticks, when i have received the shipping it was 2 kg of potato inside....i have to credit the seller for its ingenuity...opened a dispute got my monney back but i have lost the shipping cost)

Best to search locally , someone who works at scrapyard to collect RAM`s and other parts for you for extra money (you`ll pay him for the pund)...You`ll have a steady supply even if its low volume.

I do not process boards, i buy them with the good stuff, then keep the valuable good stuff and resell everything elese so i don`t have to store it. Sometimes I break even (with the resell) sometimes there is a small loss (buying price-selling price difference) but altogether even if i dont process anything I will end up with profit.

Pete

i'm in the same boat as OP. trying to get started in the hobby, but trying to find legitimate affordable sources for e waste or scrap gold filled is proving difficult. either it looks and sounds like a complete scam, or the asking price is actually more than the value, not to mention time and chemicals, hobby or not. lets not even talk about carat scrap.

it would be cheaper to just buy the minted bullion at the bank down the street and use that as feedstock :p kind of counterintuitive...

been searching the forums but not much luck..

Any leads from anyone regarding finding a seller(scrapper) or a supply of such materials in canada ? anyone getting out of the hobby that is looking to sell supplies or inventory ?

the shipping from the states also kills the deal .. not to mention not wanting to deal with any customs issues or possible duties.
i wouldn't mind hopping over the border to buffalo or niagara ... make a day trip out of it, but for that to be worth it it would require pounds and pounds...

any leads or suggestions from anyone ?

i'm in the same boat as OP. trying to get started in the hobby, but trying to find legitimate affordable sources for e waste or scrap gold filled is proving difficult. either it looks and sounds like a complete scam, or the asking price is actually more than the value, not to mention time and chemicals, hobby or not. lets not even talk about carat scrap.

it would be cheaper to just buy the minted bullion at the bank down the street and use that as feedstock :p kind of counterintuitive...

been searching the forums but not much luck..

Any leads from anyone regarding finding a seller(scrapper) or a supply of such materials in canada ? anyone getting out of the hobby that is looking to sell supplies or inventory ?

the shipping from the states also kills the deal .. not to mention not wanting to deal with any customs issues or possible duties.
i wouldn't mind hopping over the border to buffalo or niagara ... make a day trip out of it, but for that to be worth it it would require pounds and pounds...

any leads or suggestions from anyone ?
Offer to pick up e-waste in your area for free and scrap the basemetals to turn in at the scrapyard. Build your lab from the profit.
Pick out the good parts that hold precious metals to recover and refine from.

Or start a 'we buy gold' shop.

Back