Can silver be recovered from black and white photos from the late 70’s

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGDOCK

Supporting Member
Running out of silver, I came across a few pounds of black and white photos and was wondering if there’s any silver to be recovered from them.

Attachments

• IMG_9882.jpeg
    IMG_9882.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
That method works for radiology foils so I guess it will work with the pictures. Keep us up to date with pics n such :).

Finally shredded the photos I’m petty sure it’s closer to eight pounds ,
I was thinking of using weak poor man’s nitric and distilled water or would there be a better method ?

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpeg
    IMG_0853.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Finally shredded the photos I’m petty sure it’s closer to eight pounds ,
I was thinking of using weak poor man’s nitric and distilled water or would there be a better method ?
It has been discussed in length in this forum several times.
Smelting seem to be the best route.

Smelting seem to be the best route.

Yes - smelting is the way to go (after in incineration)

Wet chem leaching (whether with nitric or bleach) is a mess that creates a lot of chem waste

For one thing - especially with "paper" photos (which is going to turn to "mush" it will be next to impossible to get all the silver leach solution washed out of the mush

Incinerate - smelt the ash with borax (anhydrous) & soda ash (50/50) plus "a little" fluorspar to thin the slag so little beads of silver don't hang up in the slag --- does hurt to add a bit of silver cement to the smelt to help collect the silver which also helps beads from hanging up in the slag - pour to cone mold - knock the slag off the silver that settles in the bottom of the cone mold = no real chem waste to deal with

Once I got past doing this on a hobby level (doing it myself) & got into it for a living (refining) I sent X-ray film by the gaylord to a smelter in Minnesota - any black & white photos I happened to get just went in with the gaylords of X-ray film
Finally shredded the photos I’m petty sure it’s closer to eight pounds
Don't expect much from 8 pounds
or would there be a better method ?
If you have a furnace - incinerate & smelt

Kurt

Thanks for time spend responding , almost seems like it not worth the time or cement silver . I’m going to shelve this project until there is nothing else to do.

Edited for clartity

Last edited:
Back