Corning ware equivalent

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanMarco

Hello, I have read a lot about corningware and the importance of having one as a catch pan. so far, i have never had beakers crack, but as precious metals are involved, as the word implies, losing something precious is very bad.
As i am from the EU, I cannot find anything that has a corning ware label or anything, so what could be used instead? Or, what's it's called in the EU.
In its absence i might use a cheap cast-iron pan, even though it would contaminate the batch if the beaker shatters, it would still catch it.
We have something here that can be used on an open flame, but it doesn't say corningware.

thank you!

Visionware is a glass type that works almost as well or as good as the Corning Ware. It would be my choice if the Corning Ware isn’t available.

Pyrex is another brand sold in France and other EU countries.
Look in secondhand, thrift, charity shops.
Any cookware rated for direct heating on a gas flame is OK

I really do not consider this as pyrocerams, these are more like ordinary cookware for baking.
I might be wrong though.
Sorry, you are right my chosen terminology incorrect.
I should've written better, I had just meant that any glazed cooking pottery or glassware tray or pot that is suitable to put on a stove/oven should be acceptable as a warming/catch pan.
With less chance of reaction or contaminating any chemistry unless you are using hydrofluoric acid.

What ever the brand, make sure it is stove top safe. It should with stand quick heat up and cool down times if stove top safe. But be careful anyway, you never know when it will all go south on you.

For those interested, search for a post by topoher-osAUrus called “Corning Ware-a guide of what’s what”. The history of this stuff is very interesting.

I have had bad experience with Pyrex glass, I spilled a very small amount of cold water in the hot Pyrex and it exploded like a grenade and cracked my beaker.
Use the pyro ceramic dishes and your going to be a lot safer.

I have had bad experience with Pyrex glass, I spilled a very small amount of cold water in the hot Pyrex and it exploded like a grenade and cracked my beaker.
Use the pyro ceramic dishes and your going to be a lot safer.
Thank god, I read this! was about to make a disaster, these pyrocerams are so hard to find. I found an individual selling one dish only for about a 100 dollars.. darn! Still on a search though. I haven't read this thread though but are bakeware dishes good for this or we should find cook-friendly vessels only?

Not all Pyrex is stove top safe. It must be or it will break easily if heated or cooled too quick. Scratches will make it break even quicker.
Thank god, I read this! was about to make a disaster, these pyrocerams are so hard to find. I found an individual selling one dish only for about a 100 dollars.. darn! Still on a search though. I haven't read this thread though but are bakeware dishes good for this or we should find cook-friendly vessels only?
I’m not sure where you live but most of the U.S. it is fairly easy to find. Prices run from $1 used to around $20 for odd pieces or larger sizes. I spoke with a lady from Australia a couple years ago that said it cost as much as $100 per piece there and she could get it shipped from overseas cheaper than buying it there.

Back