Edited Remake of C.M. Hokes "Testing Precious Metals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcel

Supporting Member
Hello there!
I made and published a revised edition of C.M. Hoke's second book, "Testing Precious Metals." The revised edition includes almost all of the original content, with only a few outdated topics removed, such as information on suppliers for chemical equipment and their part numbers. Other than that, all of the important content remains.

The reason for the revised edition was that I first translated the book into German for my German readership. I then decided that it would be helpful to have an edited version back in English as well since the book is no longer available as new. I updated the font to a modern one and modernized some other elements as well. I aimed to make the naming of elements and chemicals more up-to-date and unified, for example, using capital letters whenever an element or metal, like Gold or Aqua Regia, is mentioned, to emphasize its importance for novice readers.

Apart from overworking some phrases that may sound strange today, these are the kinds of changes that you can expect. Bear with me since this is a first edition, so expect the unexpected sometimes.

The book will be available as a black-and-white paperbackfor 19.45 USD, which was the year when it was written, and a more luxurious hardcover version with "premium colors" for 49 USD. I have not seen the printed versions myself, since they are being printed in the US by Amazon but I hope the print quality is good. From July 1st, an eBook version will be available for 9.99 USD. I tried to offer various options for different budgets.

I understand that "Refining Precious Metals" can be a long and difficult read. If you tend to put it away time after time, then "Testing Precious Metals" may be for you. While it is not about refining, it covers fundamental chemical reactions and forgotten tricks for testing precious metals. Moreover, it is much shorter, with my revised edition having 130 pages, compared to the original's less than 100 pages.

In addition, I included some information on the life of C.M. Hoke, which is scattered all over the Internet. I researched the times and places when and where the book was written, the family background, and more. If you like, you can join me on that trip since there is quite a large puzzle about her life that may one day be solved. I used AI technology to recolor b/w photos and also to overwork part of the text to give it a more modern style. I discarded her writing all chapters and headlines in capital letters and created a table of content that formerly only consisted of a handful of topics, which made searching a bit difficult. This is the cover with the lady Platinum herself:
1682116982.png

I have included some screenshots from the book to give you an impression of what it looks like, and I hope you will like it. If you notice anything that needs to be corrected, please feel free to send me a private message, and I will consider updating the book in the next edition. Please note that it may take me some time to do so since I am currently busy with other projects. However, I promise to keep track of any feedback and make the necessary updates as soon as possible. Here are some first looks at the inofficial (upcoming) biography of C.M. Hoke which is part of the book I just presented to you.
Cheers,
Marcel

Screenshot-Testing PMs - Hoke life.png

The book should be out in the US Amazon store already and it can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2SQ8PCK (Hardcover)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2S278KT (Paperback)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3BQ3HDS(eBook Preorder only)

Last edited:
Thanks , I do have a hardcover of the original .
Now putting the paperback on my Amazon list to buy .

Latest posts

Back