Gold plated furniture

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcel

Supporting Member
is this old table worth beeing looked at closer?
Found this offer nearby and suppose I wont sell for much, but how much gold is to be expected from such a table?

Attachments

• Tm05nx97.jpg
    Tm05nx97.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 325
  • n1xh0g6R.jpg
    n1xh0g6R.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 325
well,

why don't you do your homework? Gold leaf (if it's gold leaf on that table) weigths between 5-20 mg/piece, depending on quality. A quick calculation of the surface will probably tell you there's no more then a gram of gold at best.

That table would be easy sell for 200 dollars at least.

What makes it a 200$ table? If it's just poured ceramic or resin and is painted to look gold it would sell for 15-50$ in a second hand shop at best.

pinman said:
What makes it a 200$ table? If it's just poured ceramic or resin and is painted to look gold it would sell for 15-50$ in a second hand shop at best.

Agree, unless the green colouring means it's a copper base. But it still looks spray painted

I was given some picture frames that where said to be gold leaf when tested nothing but Cu. I was also given some gold leaf from the 30's on the package it said gold leaf $32.00 an OZ. Tested with nitric nothing but Cu. "gold colored" leaf has been around for a long time test with nitric or HCl/bleach.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 266
Now the last pic shows the clear "grainy" look of the spray painted item. No wonder it tested copper. That also means it's cheap thing, the decorations being probably plaster moulded or something.

a_bab said:
well,

why don't you do your homework? Gold leaf (if it's gold leaf on that table) weigths between 5-20 mg/piece, depending on quality. A quick calculation of the surface will probably tell you there's no more then a gram of gold at best.

That table would be easy sell for 200 dollars at least.

Which homework? Am I a carpenter? Or a furniture maker?
How am I supposed to know how the gold is plated on this object?
I was thinking about the copperoxide color as well. Some people have already evaluated such stuff, maybe some are even specialize din it and can tell a bit more about it.
If it is gold leaf, it wont be worth the trouble, but this piece some years old and here we seldomly have the shiny china-type-gold imitations.
But I decided not to test it myself. I guess the buying price is rather 20 bucks instead of 200. But still, I dont feel good about it anymore.

a_bab said:
Now the last pic shows the clear "grainy" look of the spray painted item. No wonder it tested copper. That also means it's cheap thing, the decorations being probably plaster moulded or something.

No they where covered in a leaf not paint and made 95% out of wood with some poly-resin to make the more elaborate designs.

This is a pic I took to show it's size. This was found in a dumpster after a remodel new this would have been some pricey picture framing.

Marcel GSP has a lot on gold leaf. Some relevant some not take a look.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=gold+leaf&author_id=116

Eric

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    615.2 KB · Views: 209
It looks very special! I love unique things that you don't see very often. A table like that definitely has a good story behind it, which I think makes it really special. The same goes for this table https://faina.design/products/ztista-table, which I am planning to present to my parents for their anniversary in a couple of weeks. Doesn't it look unreal?

Last edited:
Back