How do you people find Karat scrap?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no problem finding karat and 925 scrap one time. A "cash for gold" company went out of business and i bought all the boxes he had of "non-gold/silver rejects" Over 300 pounds of junk jewelry. I found ounces of karat gold and pounds of silver. Most is shown in the first photo. Other pics show some of the more interesting things found.
JUNK.03.jpgAU-01.jpgAU-02.jpgAU-03.jpg

well im willing to tell u where i get mine and without being a jerk about it.
i usually look in garage sales and swap meets . and there are still some bargains to be found on ebay , theyre just very far and few between.
today a package came from ebay . 750 grams of memory boards , which cost me $21 plus $9 postage . so for $30 i got a nice pile of fingers and ic chips . plus theyre old ram sticks which have gold all over them , not just fingers.
and at $53 per gram in australia . ill double my money almost if i can get just 1 gram.

it is a fun hobby . ive been at it for years . and like the others have said , good deals dont jump out at ya . you need to have one eye open all the time .i wish you luck finding the good deals , they are out there . u just have to find them.
good luck and i hope it works out for you.

my advice is , while youre looking for material , study the process because its not as easy as it looks . and take it from me , people on here have attitude when you ask for help . i know cuz its all i get.
i think youre better off stock piling it when you do find it . and really getting to know exactly what youre doing , so that when you do start , it will be joy instead of a nightmare.
Good information. Thank you

Finding materials to recover and refine has always been one of the hardest parts of this as a hobby or even a business many members are lucky to refine an ounce of gold a year.
There is material out there but finding the sources can be utterly frustrating to be polite but as I have said before talk to everyone you know or meet about your new hobby and what you are looking for, you really never know where that connection will be made .
So, I've used the HiBid auctions site. I've acquired a little bit, set a price I'm comfortable with and don't chase. Unfortunately for me, I'm still full time work (60 hours a week), though getting ready to slow down /semi retire. Just in the collection mode, so all the discussions are good.
I did see a few auctions of larger lots of silver, decently priced to start with. Then it gets run up, so now looking at other places in around Lost Wages.
Now the question I have is lab materials. Is there a decent place to purchase from (all the glass & chemicals, fume hoods)? I've seen a big disparity on ebay/Google.

Thank you

So, I've used the HiBid auctions site. I've acquired a little bit, set a price I'm comfortable with and don't chase. Unfortunately for me, I'm still full time work (60 hours a week), though getting ready to slow down /semi retire. Just in the collection mode, so all the discussions are good.
I did see a few auctions of larger lots of silver, decently priced to start with. Then it gets run up, so now looking at other places in around Lost Wages.
Now the question I have is lab materials. Is there a decent place to purchase from (all the glass & chemicals, fume hoods)? I've seen a big disparity on ebay/Google.

Thank you
Not Amazon or EBay. Do a Google search for chemistry lab glassware. I can’t remember the names, but there are a few with anything you might need or want.

I've been saving electronic scrap for years, cleaning it up as I can. Only now am I finally starting to move towards refining the precious metals out.

I'm starting with silver and copper, because if I screw up royally the losses will be under $1 a gram. And there's how incredibly competitive everyone is for gold these days! If you can't afford to pay the price gold is selling at, you certainly can't afford to risk losing it because you made a mistake with the chemistry.

Start with silver. Learn to handle the chemicals safely and determine if this work is something you're sincerely invested to do. Gather gold as you can while you're learning. It's value isn't going to drop. Once you can safely process silver and get your expected yields, you'll probably be ready to move to gold.

I've been saving electronic scrap for years, cleaning it up as I can. Only now am I finally starting to move towards refining the precious metals out.

I'm starting with silver and copper, because if I screw up royally the losses will be under $1 a gram. And there's how incredibly competitive everyone is for gold these days! If you can't afford to pay the price gold is selling at, you certainly can't afford to risk losing it because you made a mistake with the chemistry.

Start with silver. Learn to handle the chemicals safely and determine if this work is something you're sincerely invested to do. Gather gold as you can while you're learning. It's value isn't going to drop. Once you can safely process silver and get your expected yields, you'll probably be ready to move to gold.

For those who do not want to recover and refine you can always sell the scrap as is and buy gold or silver to stack .

1 hobby led me to refining. A gold pan and creeks are my hobby, getting paid doing it is just a bonus. I've been prospecting for 30+ yrs.

However, I do buy scrap from all the usual suspects, yard sales, estate sales, friends, family, business contacts, etc. I pay 95% spot, I sell to my buyer for 97% spot. I make a profit on 1% margins. (High volume) with the spot prices dropping, I'm buying as much as possible. I'll pay melt value for quantity, refine it and stick it in the safety deposit box until prices go up.

Of course, I do own 3 operational claims but I started with a backpack, gold pan and a bottle of water.

Attachments

• 20210708_112552.jpg
    20210708_112552.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210720_022218.jpg
    20210720_022218.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210626_134248.jpg
    20210626_134248.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
@campbellj46,

Could you explain what the little electronic black box with the two knobs is in your 022218.jpg? I'm assuming it's some sort of metal detector? Could you let us know what it is? Thanks.
Yes sir, it's a Falcon metal detector pin point probe. I got it in Arizona about 8 yrs ago.

Attachments

• 20220709_143339.jpg
    20220709_143339.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220709_143450.jpg
    20220709_143450.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
It just occurred to me you said you're in Arizona. I would start making connections with folks involved with the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show. The big one happens in Feb, and a smaller one in Sept. The winter show is a BIG DEAL in the jewelry industry. It could help you make useful connections.

Also look into estate sales. Here's the thing though, to get good prices you generally have to buy an amount that justifies the seller taking the loss. It takes a really significant amount of money to do that with gold. It's much more attainable with silver imo.

A scrap silver lot I was watching on eBay had 636g sell for $0.487 per gram, including shipping. $309.82 plus tax. The price will probably still be under spot once all the stones are removed. My point is if you want jewelry below spot, buying quantities can get that.

@campbellj46,

I found a few videos on it to share with the forum. Thanks for posting what is it, I'm always excited to see some of the tech people use to help them in the precious metal work.

Falcon MD20, how to find gold on bedrock with a metal detector.​

Gold Prospecting Falcon MD 20 Metal Detector​

Tuning the Falcon MD20 - Fixing if it squeals all the time​

Falcon Metal Detector--Gold mining tutorial​

@campbellj46,

I found a few videos on it to share with the forum. Thanks for posting what is it, I'm always excited to see some of the tech people use to help them in the precious metal work.

Falcon MD20, how to find gold on bedrock with a metal detector.​

Gold Prospecting Falcon MD 20 Metal Detector​

Tuning the Falcon MD20 - Fixing if it squeals all the time​

Falcon Metal Detector--Gold mining tutorial​

Good video 👍 that's the only downside to this detector. It will squeal like a stuck pig until you get it tuned right. Once it's tuned, it's flawless.

I am Sundar Tumuluru from Chennai, India and would like to join the bandwagon of Gold refining forum as I am also have 2 doctorates in Chemistry and Business Mgmt.
My wife passed away 8 months back and my children are well settled, now wanted to make a Hobby out of GOLD REFINING.. What are the Suggestions to start with....expect themembers to assist me in this hobby, though it is a costly one, have no liabilities to continue.

I am Sundar Tumuluru from Chennai, India and would like to join the bandwagon of Gold refining forum as I am also have 2 doctorates in Chemistry and Business Mgmt.
My wife passed away 8 months back and my children are well settled, now wanted to make a Hobby out of GOLD REFINING.. What are the Suggestions to start with....expect themembers to assist me in this hobby, though it is a costly one, have no liabilities to continue.
Welcome to us.
There are usually 3 ways to get Gold.
Karat scrap from old jewellery, jewellers filings, watches and so on. This have its own pros and cons regarding processing.

Next electronic waste which has a totally different approach.

And ores which also have its own challenges.

Usually the hard thing for most is to get a steady supply of the preferred feed stock.

We all recommend reading a book from C. M. Hoke, you will find it for free on the forum, then study waste treatment and safety.

After that, one has usually enough knowledge to ask the correct and good questions and understand the replies.

I used to work construction and a lot of coworkers were always coming up short of cash. They would bring in their old jewelry or something that belonged to their ex looking to sell. I kept a set of scales in my truck and kept up to date with current prices. I would then weigh up what they had and make a fair offer allowing myself about 20%. Usually I would just resell it when the market went up and never have to process it at all and most of the times get double my investment.
I know of one man that buys a lot at yard sales. If there isn't anything out for sale he always asks the homeowner if they might have any. Many times they have old gold and silver jewelry that they have not thought about in years that they are willing to part with.

I am in the exact same boat here. Trying to find another hobby during these crazy times and I'm not even looking to make any money off of it. I'll be happy if I just break even, i just wanna do it for fun. Cuz who doesn't want to pour their own ~24k gold?! I've bid on numerous auctions on Ebay and have yet to win a single one of them. Every one I see, the scrap goes for either exactly scrap price or even over. I'm trying to get scrap for at most 90% of its value, because when I turn around to sell it I'm sure I won't even get that much back. But like I said it'll be a fun hobby when I can get my hands on some scrap and hopefully it'll be a hobby that will be close to paying for itself!

This is a tough hobby. Read read read .safety is real important here .the different acids u use can b dangerous this is advanced chemistry. Start with reverse electrolysis easy to do .so read as much as u can .Goodluck

Randy, please don't use text lingo here. Many of our members have to use translators to read the forum. Shortcuts like "u" and "b" do not translate well, and could create dangerous misunderstandings, so we don't allow it here.

Dave

Back