Input on gold acid scratch test results

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eshane211

Hello again hope all is well! I scratched 2 lines from each of the stones pictured above. The lines on the left have had 22k gold test kit acid applied

IMG_4393.JPGIMG_4394.JPGIMG_4395.JPGIMG_4396.JPGIMG_4405.JPGIMG_4413.JPG

From the streak test ( just the mark, no acids or reagents used in the test), you have an iron ore called hematite, from all of what you did chemically to the ore also appeared to be the reactions of iron.

Iron can give similarity to look like gold in solutions, iron has many oxidation states, and can generate many different colors of solutions(changing colors at different valences), which can fool you into thinking you have gold in solution or in a rock such as fools gold mica or pyrites...

Iron ores are very common they will also be accompanied by many dangerous compounds arsenic you name it, this is one reason why chemically treating ore is not normally effective and extremely dangerous.

Why are you wasting your time, with a little study you can learn more and be further along in your goals than learning from one mistake or mess after another.

A little time spent reading Hokes and you would have saved yourself from wasting all of this time, Read C.M. Hoke's book, to test your solution, read around page 100 where she shows you how to test your suspected solution to determine if you have gold or iron in solution...

Some time spent doing the getting acquainted experiments in her book would have put you in much better shape to understand how these metals react...

A streak test (normally no acids used) is helpful in identifying ore types.

https://geology.com/minerals/streak-test.shtml

Last edited:
From the streak test ( just the mark, no acids or reagents used ou have an iron ore called magnetite, from all of what you did chemically to the ore also appeared to be the reactions of iron.

Iron ores are very common they will also be accompanied by many dangerous compounds arsenic you name it, this is one reason why chemically treating ore is not normally effective and extremely dangerous.

what are you wasting your time for, with a little study you can learn more and be further along in your goals than learning from one mistake or mess after another.

A little time spent reading Hokes and you would have saved yourself from wasting all of this time, Read C.M. Hoke's book, to test your solution, read around page 100 where she shows you how to test your suspected solution to determine if you have gold or iron in solution...

A streak test (normally no acids used) is helpful in identifying ore types.

https://geology.com/minerals/streak-test.shtml
But there were acids used. A 22k acid test and the streak remained almost completely the same. Also this is a completely different ore sample from previous posts. And I'm still studying and learning everyday but I've also added a lab section to my studies and I learn way better that way but thanks so much for your concern but again all safety precautions are being used

So What? The hematite is not oxidized or did not change valence (or colors) does not mean you have gold, it means the rock hematite is not that reactive to your acid or your aqua regia or 22K acid test solution...

Study so that you gain an understanding, so far all I see you doing is roaming blindly in the dark with a few ideas from youtube or some other ill-informed source of information on the road to nowhere soon.

Back