Just a few questions on Stock Pots and Glassware Cleaning

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffbosco

I've tried to search for these questions more than a few times, so please forgive me if the answers are available, but I'm just looking in the wrong places.

The first is, I've seen one reference by a user who said he keeps his stock pot(s) under a running fume hood at all times. Is this necessary? Or, how much are the fumes from a stock pot a concern?

Second is, when you're finished using a piece of glassware, do you bring it to a sink to finish cleaning it? In other words, how clear of acids/metals salts does it need to be before you can safely finish cleaning it in your kitchen sink? Or, does everyone have a special setup for this?

Geoff

geoffbosco said:
The first is, I've seen one reference by a user who said he keeps his stock pot(s) under a running fume hood at all times. Is this necessary? Or, how much are the fumes from a stock pot a concern?

There will always be a bit of acid left in solutions you put in your stock pot, so there will always be some fumes.

Second is, when you're finished using a piece of glassware, do you bring it to a sink to finish cleaning it? In other words, how clear of acids/metals salts does it need to be before you can safely finish cleaning it in your kitchen sink? Or, does everyone have a special setup for this?

I would never clean my lab glass in my kitchen sink.

Dave

"I would never clean my lab glass in my kitchen sink."

OK, so why is there absolutely no posts about setups for cleaning lab glassware? Where do you clean your glassware? Does all your waste water go into a stock pot? Why is this not discussed? Or, am I just using the search bar wrong or not searching the correct terms? Because when I search "cleaning glassware" only two threads come up and both are asking about how to get stains out of them...

geoffbosco said:

Over the years I've seen quite a few different things with cleaning; but as Dave mentioned, never go to the kitchen sink. Even if it came out to 100% clean your giving yourself the idea it's okay to use that area as a work space. Maybe even subconsciously. (Cleaning is part of work) When people get too much comfortability, they tend to get less focused and then things start sliding. Even then some residues can be crystal clear to the naked eye.

My first setup I ever used was two concrete mixing tubs you buy from the hardware store. One had raised ridges inside I used for air drying. Newspaper still works wonders on glass for streaks and spots after its been properly washed. I also had an all plastic outdoor sink I didn't use as much. The kind you'll find outdoorsman clean fish on. My wash water I stored in a 55 gal drum.

I worked for a lab that mainly only cleaned their reactors
by hand tools and spray bottles. Not all but a lot of the beakers that were used, were one time use then discarded.

Another lab I did freelance with was simalar but they're glassware was designated for certain objectives to keep cleaning minimal. As their feedstock was always the same thing.

Depending the situation I've used regular Dawn dish soap, 1% hcl solution, Dural, and chromic with a few others...

This link has some decent info.
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technical-documents/articles/labware/cleaning-glassware.html#:~:text=When%20washing%2C%20soap%2C%20detergent%2C,will%20give%20more%20satisfactory%20results.

Andrew

Andrew, Thank you for the reply and the link.

I haven't washed anything in my kitchen sink. When your 55 gallon drum of rinse waste is full what happens then?

You're welcome

I figured you probably hadn't gone to the kitchen sink, just trying to give a little hindsight of why not to. :)

If I remember correctly I started looking through paint pickup and disposal. Somehow it led me on to hazardous waste haulers in my local area. Depending on the one prices varied from $50-$200. I found one that was completely free but their loophole was $50 to pick it up. (They did not allow drop off) There might even be a law saying you have to have a certain license to transport it. They did ask for the containers to be open upon arrival so they can inspect it before loading.

$50 was pretty reasonable once a year for me.

acpeacemaker said:
You're welcome

I figured you probably hadn't gone to the kitchen sink, just trying to give a little hindsight of why not to. :)

If I remember correctly I started looking through paint pickup and disposal. Somehow it led me on to hazardous waste haulers in my local area. Depending on the one prices varied from $50-$200. I found one that was completely free but their loophole was $50 to pick it up. (They did not allow drop off) There might even be a law saying you have to have a certain license to transport it. They did ask for the containers to be open upon arrival so they can inspect it before loading.

$50 was pretty reasonable once a year for me.

Great info thanks!

geoffbosco said:

OK, so why is there absolutely no posts about setups for cleaning lab glassware? Where do you clean your glassware? Does all your waste water go into a stock pot? Why is this not discussed? Or, am I just using the search bar wrong or not searching the correct terms? Because when I search "cleaning glassware" only two threads come up and both are asking about how to get stains out of them...

I suppose it's the nature of a forum that you couldn't find an answer to your question by a search. I'm sure it's been discussed many times, but whether a search for specific terms will give you the answer you're looking for always depends on the terms you use.

So, where do I clean my glassware? At first, it was outside in a five gallon bucket. At some times, I would finish "cleaned" glassware in my laundry tub, but it had to be very clean before I would go that route because I was on a septic system, so if there was any residue that could kill the beneficial bacteria in the septic system, I would have been in deep dookie (literally :cry: ). Now, I evaporate all my waste as much as I can, so the washes that end up in the five gallon bucket are left to evaporate. I cycle the waste into dedicated evaporation containers (old plastic kitty litter containers). When the waste gets concentrated and dried, I wait for an amnesty day and take the residue to a local drop off location.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
geoffbosco said:

I suppose it's the nature of a forum that you couldn't find an answer to your question by a search. I'm sure it's been discussed many times, but whether a search for specific terms will give you the answer you're looking for always depends on the terms you use.

So, where do I clean my glassware? At first, it was outside in a five gallon bucket. At some times, I would finish "cleaned" glassware in my laundry tub, but it had to be very clean before I would go that route because I was on a septic system, so if there was any residue that could kill the beneficial bacteria in the septic system, I would have been in deep dookie (literally :cry: ). Now, I evaporate all my waste as much as I can, so the washes that end up in the five gallon bucket are left to evaporate. I cycle the waste into dedicated evaporation containers (old plastic kitty litter containers). When the waste gets concentrated and dried, I wait for an amnesty day and take the residue to a local drop off location.

Dave

Thank you for the response. Sorry if I'm being a little curt. I'm just paranoid about safety especially since other people would be affected not just myself. I have septic system and am luck enough that our neighbors are all more than 500 ft away.

FrugalRefiner said:
At some times, I would finish "cleaned" glassware in my laundry tub, but it had to be very clean before I would go that route because I was on a septic system, so if there was any residue that could kill the beneficial bacteria in the septic system, I would have been in deep dookie (literally :cry: )

Dave

Don't know why but this reminded me of my childhood in a very old farmhouse. It had an open walled septic built from cinder blocks. At one point the bacteria came to complete standstill and one wall had busted due to overfill. Sure, the smell and sight was gross. The kicker though was somehow it allowed snakes in the house. I would get up at 6 every morning and take a shower before school. There's nothing like being half awake and pulling back a shower curtain to almost stepping on a 8-10ft black snake curled up in the tub. Fond memories lol

Andrew

I have no idea where, but a long time back there was discussion of a system that allowed for the water to be evaporated from the waste stream. I don't think it was meant to remove all moisture but it did reduce the volume considerably. I do something along the same lines but on a smaller scale than I recall in the post. What I recall was a wide area tank with a stirring system sitting in a warm spot for increased evaporation. With wash waters, it should work pretty well if your producing large volumes.

Andrew, I recall something along those lines years ago, only it was a 5 foot black snake in the toilet. I raised the lid, and that thing came up in my face. It sure gives new meaning to waking up in the morning.

Shark said:
Andrew, I recall something along those lines years ago, only it was a 5 foot black snake in the toilet. I raised the lid, and that thing came up in my face. It sure gives new meaning to waking up in the morning.

A whole new meaning to snaking a toilet. 😂😂😂
No need to call Roto Rooter, we have the live version. :)

Hello all.. I did not find an answer to this question posed back in July 1, 2020. Can someone enlighten me?
I've tried to search for these questions more than a few times, so please forgive me if the answers are available, but I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Are the stock pot fumes a concern to someone who is careful and cautious ?
Should it be covered loosely or sealed?
Can I keep it outdoors in a secure place (not in the winter, of course)?

Thank you

Hello all.. I did not find an answer to this question posed back in July 1, 2020. Can someone enlighten me?

Are the stock pot fumes a concern to someone who is careful and cautious ?
Should it be covered loosely or sealed?
Can I keep it outdoors in a secure place (not in the winter, of course)?

Thank you
It is usually quite heavy in HCl or Nitric, so of course you should keep it under a fume hood or vented outside somehow.
I can’t see what being careful or cautious have to do with it.
You can’t heard the fumes, but you can vent them.

I have used a small plastic storage shed 2' deep and 4' wide and about 3 feet high in the corner of a refining setup that vents directly out of the building. It is used to store chemicals as well as a stock pot (which always has a cover on it, not air tight but not open to air either) A small computer muffin fan always runs keeping the pressure in the cabinet slightly negative. Every few years the muffin fan corrodes out and dies. They are cheap and easy to replace. and if you're a scrapper you probably have a bunch of them anyway. When I was actively using the space for refining the cabinet had a thermostat controlled 100 watt light bulb to keep the contents from freezing.

I evaporate all my waste as much as I can, so the washes that end up in the five gallon bucket are left to evaporate. I cycle the waste into dedicated evaporation containers (old plastic kitty litter containers). When the waste gets concentrated and dried, I wait for an amnesty day and take the residue to a local drop off location.

Call your local city and see if they have an amnesty day for disposing of house hold chemical waste, we have one here in my part of Fl. I don't know if they'll except a 55 gallon drum so you may have to evaporate down. But usually no questions asked... unless you show up with a bio-hazard container... that might draw some attention. :)

Back