Metallic taste in my mouth

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffbosco

How worried should I be about this metallic taste in my mouth? I didn't really do anything today except move my stock pot out into the sun to evaporate and wash a small flask. Six hours later and I'm noting my mouth taste like it has pennies in it. No other symptoms except my sinuses feel a bit inflamed.

I know I'm an anxious person and very susceptible to the placebo effect so it could all be psychosomatic. But I did first notice it coming on after seeing a red spot on my hand and I was near a window where my stock pot was outside.

There are lots of endless possibilities for a metallic taste. Not on the whim to make huge concern.
It could be just inflamed sinuses which is very common. It could be bad oral hygiene and bad breathe. Could be aging. Could be a sign of a stroke when sent messages get distorted. It's a common trait with upper respiratory situations and ear aches. Some eating utensils can leave an after taste that will last awhile....

On another note if you are concerned of metals. We can't really say what you've been around? Some types of poisoning can take days or weeks before showing signs, others can be instant.

I've had cavities that tasted metallic.

But it's one of those things only a doctor is going to be able to halfway tell you a diagnosis....

Andrew

Small amounts of blood taste metallic. Maybe your sinuses are bleeding a tiny bit and its mixing with all the saliva and mucus in your head and getting to your mouth.
Sometimes people who cough a lot complain of a metallic taste for the same reason, except the trace amounts of blood are from their throat/trachea area.

acpeacemaker said:
There are lots of endless possibilities for a metallic taste. Not on the whim to make huge concern.
It could be just inflamed sinuses which is very common. It could be bad oral hygiene and bad breathe. Could be aging. Could be a sign of a stroke when sent messages get distorted. It's a common trait with upper respiratory situations and ear aches. Some eating utensils can leave an after taste that will last awhile....

On another note if you are concerned of metals. We can't really say what you've been around? Some types of poisoning can take days or weeks before showing signs, others can be instant.

I've had cavities that tasted metallic.

But it's one of those things only a doctor is going to be able to halfway tell you a diagnosis....

Andrew

I still feel fine other than the very slight sinus inflammation. I'll call my Dr if anything changes.

When I detect a metallic taste, I'm usually coming down with a cold or something similar. That's not to minimize your symptoms. Be aware of them, and if they continue, consider a heavy metals test,

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
When I detect a metallic taste, I'm usually coming down with a cold or something similar. That's not to minimize your symptoms. Be aware of them, and if they continue, consider a heavy metals test,

Dave

It's funny because I've never experienced this apart from a few very stressful situations in past (causing my first minor traffic accident). And then I start playing with toxic heavy metal salts and this happens? My anxiety is not cool with that kind of coincidence and thus believes the worse. lol

geoffbosco said:
It's funny because I've never experienced this apart from a few very stressful situations in past (causing my first minor traffic accident). And then I start playing with toxic heavy metal salts and this happens? My anxiety is not cool with that kind of coincidence and thus believes the worse. lol

This might not be the best pursuit for you. We do deal with hazardous acids. We do create toxic heavy metal waste. We have to do everything we can to minimize our exposures to these toxins.

Dave

Dave is probably right here. If you are not comfortable with dealing with chemicals than you most definitely should not be using them, and if you constantly are worrying about things causing yourself stress than this hobby may not be the best one to have. I'm not trying to discourage you here I am just pointing things out so you can make the best decision for yourself.

jarlowski1 said:
Dave is probably right here. If you are not comfortable with dealing with chemicals than you most definitely should not be using them, and if you constantly are worrying about things causing yourself stress than this hobby may not be the best one to have. I'm not trying to discourage you here I am just pointing things out so you can make the best decision for yourself.

I totally get that, and I take it in the spirit it's given. I'm a strange person, I'm anxious, but I also seek out stress inducing situations. It's just a matter of learning the things I should have studied before buying any of these chemicals. With real knowledge my anxiety is quite easy for me to deal with.

I'm convinced it's just a matter of the basement space I'm currently using to store stuff. I don't work in there but sometimes I'm in there moving stuff around. Acid fumes build up inflame my sinuses and-whomp! "What's that funny taste in my mouth?" So, I'll have to figure out a better setup before doing anything else.

Do not store any chemicals or reagents in your living space or under it, if there is a leak, fire or accident you are putting you and your family at risk.
Safe storage and handling of the chemicals we use is paramount, do not use them or store them anywhere you have metals , keep food or have pets.

The metallic taste, whatever the cause is not nearly as concerning as your anxiety....your anxiety means you are unsure of your confidence in how you are handling things.

I won't say I agree with Dave, because refining may very well be for you, just may not have the requisite knowledge to do it safely. Building that requisite knowledge takes time and builds confidence...but you also risk your exposure in the meantime. Therein is the catch.

Basically, if you can't do it safely, don't do it. And doing anything in your basement is a bad bad idea. I'm in my garage in a dedicated hood with more than adequate ventilation for commercial refining, but stuff is still rusting. Once you lose passivation, it's gone. Same thing with lung tissue unfortunately.

snoman701 said:
The metallic taste, whatever the cause is not nearly as concerning as your anxiety....your anxiety means you are unsure of your confidence in how you are handling things.

I won't say I agree with Dave, because refining may very well be for you, just may not have the requisite knowledge to do it safely. Building that requisite knowledge takes time and builds confidence...but you also risk your exposure in the meantime. Therein is the catch.

Basically, if you can't do it safely, don't do it. And doing anything in your basement is a bad bad idea. I'm in my garage in a dedicated hood with more than adequate ventilation for commercial refining, but stuff is still rusting. Once you lose passivation, it's gone. Same thing with lung tissue unfortunately.

I hear all of that, and yes I definitely wish that I had made my way here before buying any chemicals. I'm going to have to figure some shit out.

Turns out I probably have a simple ear infection. Woke up a few days later and I could feel my right ear inflamed. My mom had some ear drops and I started using them and taking advil. Symptoms seem to be clearing.

Back