Need help of our brain trust

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no1special69

While this is not refining or recovery related, I believe this would be the place to find the answer I am looking for I work at a cemetery in weed eat around the markers we are looking for something like Roundup that will kill all the grass on a border around the markers but Roundup is supposed to be bad on brass can anyone think of a better safer something to use that won't hurt the markers of bad for environment

Attachments

• 16811517008083880291603441897176.jpg
    16811517008083880291603441897176.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
While this is not refining or recovery related, I believe this would be the place to find the answer I am looking for I work at a cemetery in weed eat around the markers we are looking for something like Roundup that will kill all the grass on a border around the markers but Roundup is supposed to be bad on brass can anyone think of a better safer something to use that won't hurt the markers of bad for environment
Welcome to us.

We really don’t deal with these kind of things here.
I would guess a forum for gardening might be better informed in this topic.

Must be able to apply very precisely. Aiming for 4-5inch borders around markers

Attachments

• 16811530187916613210764537187904.jpg
    16811530187916613210764537187904.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to us.

We really don’t deal with these kind of things here.
I would guess a forum for gardening might be better informed in this topic.
True but knowing what won't react with the brass is after and there are super genius' on this site. Have been here for several years. Hope I placed in correct form category

True but knowing what won't react with the brass is after and there are super genius' on this site. Have been here for several years. Hope I placed in correct form category
Many things do not react with Brass and won't do anything to the plants and vice versa.
One thing come into mind though.
An uncovered "naked" Copper wire should reduce growth, but might not stop it completely.
The Copper ions released is toxic to mosses and many plants.

What about good old NaCl , you know, from "salt the earth" fame?
Make a plywood frame for precise application. Future zombies won't mind, I think....

Many things do not react with Brass and won't do anything to the plants and vice versa.
One thing come into mind though.
An uncovered "naked" Copper wire should reduce growth, but might not stop it completely.
The Copper ions released is toxic to mosses and many plants.
Now this is the kind of knowledge I'm talking about. May not be refining related and was put in proper place, and there is vast knowledge in the members here.... And metal reactivity with compounds is a well known topic in this arena.

Salting to prevent plant growth will, in time, affect the brass markers. Will definitely be noticeable within a few years.

Time for more coffee.

I have heard vinegar and dish soap is an effective Canadian thistle killer. Cut the stalk, and pour down the shaft. I don't know what specific species of weeds you have, so don't know how effective it will be on whatever else is there. Not a big fan of Roundup either. the stuff is worse then most of the chemicals we use, for the environment.Once you know what species you are trying to eradicate, do a search for a "green" solution for weed control. Both bases and acids will have some effect in the long term. Perhaps a water spray after the application, will wash whatever your application of herbicide , will reduce the potency of a direct application. Perhaps a soil analysis will determine if the soil is basic, or acidic. If the weeds thrive in this soil, a conditioner in the opposite PH direction may impede the growth. Continuos mowing seems most effective, killing the flowers before it goes to seed. Definitely not my specialty. Only way I have ever reduced noxious weeds on my property, is to pull them before they go to seed. It may take several seasons to do this. Also , you will need to pull in a larger perimeter, so seeds take longer to migrate back.

You could cover the brass markers with blue tape and plastic or an inverted plastic tray before spraying with Roundup.

The use of Roundup should be avoided at all costs. I have heard it is being banned this year, due to its long presence of toxicity, and eventual movement into the water table. For those who are in favor of using Roundup, put some in your own drinking water, then report back in a couple years about the virtues of cancer.

1/Spray the soil with a little diesel. Smells in beginning but last long. Little bad method however.
2/ hot steam
3/ spray the weed with vinegar solution.
4/make a frame, around the objects, covering the soil from light

Ive owned a wildlife management company for 13 years. I trapp wood chucks in one of the oldest Cemeterys in the country. ( they dig stuff amd parts up ) and theu use some weired salt solution to spray around the head stone idk to much about the formula but thays the base

Teakettle of boiling water poured on it and saturate the roots. Problem solved, if you are going for single plant at a time, be hard to do to a whole feild.

The Ag/Chem lobby will never allow Roundup to be banned. 90% of the grain and canola oil in the world is grown using a roundup specific GMO seed. It and all its problems are here to stay.

Back