Need material tested and refined

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travs410

I need some help testing and refining some platinum and rhodium ore. I called many companies but nobody seems to want to help. I also have some gold dirt. Photos attached.

The gold dirt is maybe 30 lbs
The platnum ore is maybe 20 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_5625.jpg
    IMG_5625.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5604.jpeg
    IMG_5604.jpeg
    921.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5603.jpeg
    IMG_5603.jpeg
    922 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5602.jpeg
    IMG_5602.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5601.jpeg
    IMG_5601.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 1
I need some help testing and refining some platinum and rhodium ore. I called many companies but nobody seems to want to help. I also have some gold dirt. Photos attached.

First picture looks like some sulfide cluster, 4th picture looks like Muscovite ( Mica ), others are too grainy. Send to an assay lab, learn to do it yourself, take a class in mineralogy, and read the thread " So you think you have an ore ". Might have to search a little, as I do not recall exact thread title.

this link: https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...le-read-this-before-you-post-about-ore.33333/

Please clarify why you think you have ore.

Companies do not want to help, they want to make money instead of chasing mica and pyrite and then spend months convincing the 'client' they are not crooks taking the 'gold' away from those with the fever.

Until you come with some proof of claims, you will only get discouragement, possibly some ridiculing.

Too many people get gold fever after seeing a shiny rock.

All good advice here.
But there is actually only one thing that count and that is an Assay.
For Platinum metals that will be a NiS assay.

So just out of curiosity, why do you believe you have Rhodium in ore?
Or other values for that matter.

There are only four areas in North America that platinum group metals and numerous gold ones have being found and many many black holes where either scammers or deluded individuals have "found" them. Leaving gold aside, definition of ore means an earth natural occurrence in a telatively large area of economic value, which means both concentration and technology to extract it. There is no rhodium or iridium ore, only platimum group metals ore and the two are in general the least present in the ore. Besides the Montana extending into Canada and Alaska palladium - platinum is found in the Ohio shale pyrite nodules but not to a level to be a source of metal for mining.
If you are not a scammer looking for a mining or PM refinery corporation to validate yoir claim so you can lure investors use your money and send a sample of about 250 - 2000 grams to any analytical laboratory such is SGS, Alfred White etc and pay to have them assayed. An emissions spectrum, an ICP scan for PGM and AAS for gold will tell you what you have. Get any proof ttat way and a mining corporation will get someone to see what you have.

If you have visible gold in dirt, panning will concentrate the majority of it so it can be recovered. I do not see anything that looks like the platinum/palladium ore found in Montana, but I have limited experience with it.

Right now, all you have is conjecture and companies need proof. If your assays indicate PGM and Au, interest in your material will increase.

Good Luck!

SRM

Good afternoon
You get very good advices

The first thing to do If You think have values in Your Ore
is send it to lab for assay.

then if Your material have values
You will have more option and probably some
investors
there lot of companies looking for new mine with values.
Like others members advice You
do an assay
show the assay result.

with a good assay with prove of values
You can talk with lot of mining companies.

in Arizona miners have been sold their claims for very good amounts to mining companies

but they have to see the assay that prove what You are saying.

an assay is Not that expensive.
with a couple of Hundred of dollars
You can have a very good assay .

Last edited:
Good afternoon

investors
do an assay
show the assay result.

in Arizona miners have been sold their claims for very good amounts to mining companies

but they have the assay that prove what they are saying.
You are on the right direction. Do the prospecting work yourself using the JORC system or the canadian or the US school of mine manual for geological investigation. Try to take samples in a 150 x150 grid nodes and of the whole area you put your hopes on. You can even go 200 x 200 or 300 x 300. Dig in 1x1x1 hole, take out all blend with a shovel and take a 2 to 4 lb sample put it in a bag with a tag: hole number in the grid and geographic cordinates. Get an excavator and dig few ofset trenches across the area, take samples of the dirt on each trech length and dep and send to a specialized mining geological lab. Expect to spend few thousand to have it done. If samples shows valuable minerals hire a third party company (could be geological or mining which will cost more or construction one with an excavator) and dig 12 -20 ft deep holes in the same nodes, take all material every 3 ft, blend and take 3 to 5 lbs samples of each. Log all samples and send to the same lab. Make sure not one of the people on the field ware any hand jeweleries. Pay a geologist (preferable be from the lab company) to calculate the resources of the target area. Now you have a bankable geological exploration an investment firm, a mining company or a bank will pay attention to it and get it or help you get it to the next step: technological project.
Good luck

You are on the right direction. Do the prospecting work yourself using the JORC system or the canadian or the US school of mine manual for geological investigation. Try to take samples in a 150 x150 grid nodes and of the whole area you put your hopes on. You can even go 200 x 200 or 300 x 300. Dig in 1x1x1 hole, take out all blend with a shovel and take a 2 to 4 lb sample put it in a bag with a tag: hole number in the grid and geographic cordinates. Get an excavator and dig few ofset trenches across the area, take samples of the dirt on each trech length and dep and send to a specialized mining geological lab. Expect to spend few thousand to have it done. If samples shows valuable minerals hire a third party company (could be geological or mining which will cost more or construction one with an excavator) and dig 12 -20 ft deep holes in the same nodes, take all material every 3 ft, blend and take 3 to 5 lbs samples of each. Log all samples and send to the same lab. Make sure not one of the people on the field ware any hand jeweleries. Pay a geologist (preferable be from the lab company) to calculate the resources of the target area. Now you have a bankable geological exploration an investment firm, a mining company or a bank will pay attention to it and get it or help you get it to the next step: technological project.
Good luck
Excellent ,well explanation.

for small miner or prospectors.
don’t have to be that expensive.

some labs can do Up to 3 examples or more ,for just $200 dollars.

in my eyes ,is a very good price.

Just pick some veins or Rocks at Your Lode Claim
(hard Rock mine).
Get some example in different Bags

Take pictures the of the Places were You took the examples.
Write numbers like
Example 1,example 2,example 3.

Crushed and send the examples to a lab,there is lot of Good Labs all around the Western States in the USA.
and in others countries as well.

in few days You can have the result
then You can have more options.

is Not that difficult.

Last edited:
Good afternoon

investors
do an assay
show the assay result.

but they have the assay that prove what they are sayin

Excellent ,well explanation.

for small miner or prospectors.
don’t have to be that expensive.

some labs can do Up to 3 examples or more ,for just $200 dollars.

in my eyes ,is a very good price.

Just pick some veins at Your Lode Claim
(hard Rock mine).
Get some example in different Bags

Take pictures the of the Places were You took the examples.
Write numbers like
Example 1,example 2,example 3.

Crushed and send the examples to a lab,there is lot of Good Labs all around the Western States in the USA.
and in others countries as well.

in few days You can have the result
then You can have more options.

is Not that difficult.
Exactly. Hard rock exploration and mining is a but different.
The exploration is dependant how is thf vein position and where. In national park same rules but need to address the preservation and minimum intrusdion procedure. Public land somehow more relaxed.
Deep vein is hard to do prospecting. If it ever reached the surface, even if you dont see it but you can estimate where it runs you can do the surface trenchind across the vein direction (15-30 long and offset left - right) 3 to 4 feet deep and 2 wide for prospecting. Addit but mostly drilling is the standard for establishing what if you have a deposit or just a small claim for hobby, fun and a bit of cash. Botb are expensive mostly if you want to attract good investors or company because you have to get third party to do it.
In general if you do the assay in USA and have only few samples the SGS like will charge a minimum fee which use to be hefthy but if go to a specialized mining lab, or for beggining any lab with an ICP and AAS could do it decent work. As you guessed the sampling is the key at all time. I kniw labs that charges 150-200 $ per sample for all precious metals and 6-7 base one....just need to shop around when you know what you need.

Exactly. Hard rock exploration and mining is a but different.
The exploration is dependant how is thf vein position and where. In national park same rules but need to address the preservation and minimum intrusdion procedure. Public land somehow more relaxed.
Deep vein is hard to do prospecting. If it ever reached the surface, even if you dont see it but you can estimate where it runs you can do the surface trenchind across the vein direction (15-30 long and offset left - right) 3 to 4 feet deep and 2 wide for prospecting. Addit but mostly drilling is the standard for establishing what if you have a deposit or just a small claim for hobby, fun and a bit of cash. Botb are expensive mostly if you want to attract good investors or company because you have to get third party to do it.
In general if you do the assay in USA and have only few samples the SGS like will charge a minimum fee which use to be hefthy but if go to a specialized mining lab, or for beggining any lab with an ICP and AAS could do it decent work. As you guessed the sampling is the key at all time. I kniw labs that charges 150-200 $ per sample for all precious metals and 6-7 base one....just need to shop around when you know what you need.

Back