New guy

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

HI everyone,was reading some posts ,and like what I read.I have never refined a batch of gold yet per say.I have been assaying as a hobbie for 8 years.The catalytic convertor game is interesting.I have assayed numerous types,and can tell you there is a low end to them so be careful.I want to go into recovering gold and pgms,and find the info here very helpful.If anyone wants to talk PGMs I have some interesting finds to mention.The one hard part is a source that will let you buy.If you don't walk up the man in the junkyard with a wad of 100dollar bills it can be hard to get his interest,plus in california they are paranoid. :shock: :shock:

Welcome Bodfish.

There are numerous sources other than the junk yard ti find converters. I have been able to round up several just asking around the local mechanics shops. There are a couple of places, if I have tools with me (extension cord and cutting wheel) will let me harvest the converter right there in the yard. No charge.

It takes a while to get to know people. Some times you just have to keep showing your face in the door.

Keep comin back bodfish

I have been in the salvage yard biz my whole life, and I can say that almost all yards are getting good cash for their converters now. I have developed the Platinumill that recovers the pgms from auto catalysts. check it out at Platinumills.com

bodfish said:
HI everyone,was reading some posts ,and like what I read.
plus in california they are paranoid. :shock: :shock:

It is illegal to open a catalytic converter within the state of California. They are the first state in the USA to require a license specifically to open a catalytic converter within the state boundaries. Could be why they are paranoid. I suspect if you are already a salvage operator like platinumill.com Rob Diller, it is probably easier to get a catalytic converter permit in California thank someone just starting out. Other states are probably not far behind.

a man named Sue

Back