Palladium vs HCL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayf

hello every one, i have a real mess in my head because of this topic, can HCL dissolve palladium?
i searched alot and watch some refiners working this such as 999dusanand other friends

a friend of mine told me that he dissolves mlcc in aqua regia after grinding them then he uses NaOH to raise the PH and precipitate every thing in aqua regia
then he uses hot HCL to dissolve palladium then he uses DMG to precipitate it, seems cool

999dusan grinded the mlcc's then he dissolved them in aqua regia and denoxed it with urea then precipitated every thing using aluminum, so far so good, after that he used HCL to dissolve every thing except palladium and he said that only palladium is left

Can any one explain to me when and when not HCL can dissolve the palladium??
Regards

Handbook of chemistry and physics says palladium is slightly soluble in HCl.
What I personally do, immerse the palladium sponge in HCl, thus deleting
base metals, especially zinc. The liquid is not thrown away and saved for
later addition to next palladium solution

Palladium fines, such as cemented powders, will dissolve in HCl. Larger solids will dissolve slowly in hot HCl. The dissolution happens faster if there is any CuCl2 in the solution. It doesn't take much. Hardly noticeable color of copper is enough.

In MLCC's, there will also be silver. Did Dusan show how he recovers the silver?

I was a bit confused about palladium and platinum solubility in HCl, and after read this thread became more confused.

I remember one video for Sreetips ,he was unsure about how get rid of copper solids from his stock pot residues to be only dealing with precious metals solids, so he said that he got an advice to boil the residues with concentrated HCl for one hour from YouTuber called "Aquilla Refiner" as I remember, and he did, when he make stannous chloride test he got almost negative result,so his PGM's not dissolved in hot concentrated HCl at least most of PGM's not dissolved.

I really wonder how platinum and palladium spot price is less than gold in spite off the difficulty of refining them and as I know they are also less availability in nature

Can any one explain to me when and when not HCL can dissolve the palladium??
Regards

The short answer is no. Metallic palladium won't dissolve in HCl in normal conditions without an additional oxidizer (O2). But, if dissolved oxygen is present in this solution, and this always happens in air, then the reaction proceeds slowly. 2Pd + 8HCl + O2 = 2H2[PdCl4] + 2H2O

Palladium powder will react under high pressure and temperature above 250C with Cl(-) from HCl without oxygen.

Sometimes possible situations are when your precipitate is palladium hydroxide instead of metallic palladium powder, then Pd(OH)2 will readily dissolve in HCL.

Last edited:
The short answer is no. Metallic palladium won't dissolve in HCl in normal conditions without an additional oxidizer (O2). But, if dissolved oxygen is present in this solution, and this always happens in air, then the reaction proceeds slowly. 2Pd + 8HCl + O2 = 2H2[PdCl4] + 2H2O

Palladium powder will react under high pressure and temperature above 250C with Cl(-) from HCl without oxygen.

Sometimes possible situations are when your precipitate is palladium hydroxide instead of metallic palladium powder, then Pd(OH)2 will readily dissolve in HCL.
Yes, I think all palladium and platinum salts are soluble in HCl.
If palladium dissolved in HCl that might mean its contaminated with other metals,same case when boil gold powder in HCl and its partially dissolved.

Yes, I think all palladium and platinum salts are soluble in HCl.
If palladium dissolved in HCl that might mean its contaminated with other metals,same case when boil gold powder in HCl and its partially dissolved.
999dusan grinded the mlcc's then he dissolved them in aqua regia and denoxed it with urea then precipitated every thing using aluminum, so far so good, after that he used HCL to dissolve every thing except palladium and he said that only palladium is left. Everything EXCEPT palladium.

Back