Questionable metal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great post. Anyone who learns, even from this simple question, makes this topic valuable! I was thinking about the hard drive cover being stainless steel. I initially thought its aluminum, but the fact that it does not melt, even at 1900 degrees, rules out aluminum plate, which I didn't realize until now! Stainless does finally begin to liquefy at over 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit vs less than 2000 for Al metal so a more powerful flame might just work if you are trying to melt it down.

Also, you may consider the one magnetic portion of the drive cover simply being a shinier steel plate that was tightly glued/adhered to a less shiny piece of stainless. If you bend the nonmagnetic plate it may begin to separate and you can then wedge a thin screwdriver between the two pieces to fully separate them.
Thank you, honestly. I think, and no, I'm not trying to melt stainless steel just yet. That's a little bit up there, but in time.
Most of my time has been spent breaking down hard drives and motherboards, removing the cords from wires separating gold, silver, platinum, palladium copper, and aluminum, and then getting my fume hood prepared and built. I have finally finished the design phase. I say that, but if you wait, something will change beforehand. I've been determining the best way to vent, which will most likely be just chlorine gas, and I think I have everything taken care of and ready for that. A few more things will not all be set on, but I am ready to start building it—next week or so.

Any Useful information will be much appreciated.

Back