Selling your gold or keeping it?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chumbawamba

So what do you all do with the gold you recover from scrap? I see lots of messages from people talking about selling it. I personally think that's insane, as I'm convinced it's going to be the basis of the next global financial system once this one final gives up the ghost in a year or so.

Do some of you (i.e. the professional refiners) have so much volume that you sell some to pay the bills and then horde the rest? Or do you sell it all? Or horde it all?

Just curious what others plan to do. I plan to horde all mine like a greedy leprichaun.

My business is refining about 2 oz T. each week. I am currently looking for a constant buyer. But for the moment, I don't have the choice to sell it on eBay even if they have high fees.

I expect to keep some gold when my business will have more liquidity.

i horde mine, one day i hope to have the ability to refine it myself, until that day. the pile gets bigger.

i REALLY want to learn how to refine sterling silver as ive been collecting that for years. so it seems i have a lot of learning to do.

You should read my tutorial about Silver Refining :p

P.S. I don't sell my gold anymore on eBay due to their excessive fees...

im not sure of the author but i did find an article on a silver parting cell EXTREMELY intriguing. I intend on reading hokes book, before attempting anything for sure. it seems to be the most common recommendation for people new to the various chemical processes described on this site.
i looked for your tutorial using the search feature but didnt have much luck, could you link me?

-ryan

pinman said:
im not sure of the author but i did find an article on a silver parting cell EXTREMELY intriguing. I intend on reading hokes book, before attempting anything for sure.
By all means, get and read Hoke's book. It will acquaint you with terminology, testing and testing procedures, and outline various refining procedures so you have a firm understanding of how and why metals behave as they do. It will also enable you to have a conversation with others with a like interest, having learned some of the terminology.

Unfortunately, Hoke treated silver with a bit of contempt, aside from making note that it becomes the carrier of the platinum group of metals, which is the primary reason anyone that refines dental or jeweler's wastes should operate a silver cell.

In order to gain knowledge on electrolytic parting, may I suggest you acquire a book written by Butts & Coxe, which discusses silver in almost all aspects. In their book (the title escapes me at the moment) you can read about various silver parting cells, and the parameters within which they are operated.

A silver cell can be a very simple affair. A stainless pan that acts as your cathode, and a non-conductive basket in which you place a filter and your anode. A simple DC power supply and you're in business.

Read the forums that revolve around silver. Cells and their operation have been discussed extensively on the forum.

Harold
edit: completed a statement

That book is called;
Silver: Economics, Metallurgy, and Use

Here is a B&N link that has used ones for $39:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Silver/Allison-Butts/e/9780882752785/?itm=3

I have it and it is a good book.
Jim

Noxx.
How is that your gold look like? Are you selling shots, bars...? If bars what weight? Is there any possibility that you will upload or pm some pics? Its not urgent, when you will time. I am expecting significant compo payout so I am thinking to buy some gold for that money.

Back