silver chloride method

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldisMine

so i starting to refine 200gr sterling silver i mix nitric acid to make silver cloriode then i mix with copper bars then with silver powder make pure bars?

you dissolve your sterling silver in acid with diluted water, the water must be distilled.
After dissolution, pour the solution through the filter.
and then, if you want to get chloride, pour in a solution of table salt.

then you wash the chloride with clean water, preferably hot, so the chloride coagulates better.
rinse at least 3 times.
It is advisable to add hydrochloric acid 4 times.
if you don’t have hydrochloric acid, you can make a solution of citric acid (30 grams) + salt (5 grams) + hydrogen peroxide.
this will dissolve any remaining copper in your chloride.

so i starting to refine 200gr sterling silver i mix nitric acid to make silver cloriode then i mix with copper bars then with silver powder make pure bars?
Welcome to us:
As Anarxi says, dissolve it in dilute Nitric.
Preferably with heating in a safe well vented area.
You will never get Silver Chloride by Nitric acid.
First you will have a mix of Nitrates from the Sterling, this can be converted to Silver Chloride by adding Chlorides as Salt or otherwise.
This can then be cleaned and converted to pure Silver.
Search the forum, there are many threads on this.

Here is fro your studies:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/safety.47/
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/

Suggested reading:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/the-library.101/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...le-read-this-before-you-post-about-ore.33333/

Forum rules is here.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

then reduce the chloride to silver.
there are different ways.
I use pieces of pure aluminum.
I fill the chloride with a small amount of water to cover the chloride on top + add a 13% hydrochloric acid solution.
I throw pieces of aluminum there.

Don't make the whole batch at once.
try on a small quantity.

and generally speaking:
read a book, and a forum.

Don't make the whole batch at once.
try on a small quantity.

and generally speaking:
read a book, and a forum.
There are many ways to convert the Chloride to metallic Silver.
The two main methods used in this forum is.
Lye Sugar conversion or the Sulfuric Iron method.
Search the forum.
But from a Silver Nitrate solution the easiest may be to cement it on Copper directly, with out going via Silver Chloride.

Harold_V​

recommended the aluminum method 17 years ago on this forum.
This method is also used by many refiners from YouTube in the post-Soviet space.
I tested it on relay contacts of a large batch
the yield of silver agreed with the passport data.

Harold_V​

recommended the aluminum method 17 years ago on this forum.
This method is also used by many refiners from YouTube in the post-Soviet space.
I tested it on relay contacts of a large batch
the yield of silver agreed with the passport data.
Yes, and it works.
They all work and the yield should be the same.
Somehow it seems the forum has landed on the other two methods.
Maybe the Iron/Sulfuric and the Sugar/Lye method has less chance of cementing/dropping unwanted metals?

Edit for spelling.

Last edited:
Sugar definitely isn’t - it’s exotic.
sulfur method - I have not yet found a clear description.
mentioned in many threads, but everything is confusing, I don’t have time to find it.

from good - they don’t look for good
:)

mentioned in many threads, but everything is confusing, I don’t have time to find it.

Not Sulphur, but Sulphuric/Iron.
Just like the HCl/Aluminum.
Dilute Sulphuric and Iron.
Some recommend using a cast Iron frying pan and add dilute Sulphuric, Silver Chloride and stir until all are converted.
Or any Iron, like nails bolts or nuts.

Last edited:

Iron and Sulphric acid method :

I used a plastic jar with a screw on lid
In jar put the silver chloride add a little water to cover then a little Sulphric acid .
Swirl around with lid on
Seems like a little copper cemented or covered the nails then the silver came out on top.
Took about 24 hours

Thank you.
Although, in essence, we are holding the same elephant, but from different sides.
sulfur + iron
And
hydrochloric acid + aluminum (in textbooks this is zinc)
Reduction by aluminum is quite fast, 3-4 hours and the chloride turns into silver.
although the reaction is exothermic and quite violent with strong gas evolution.

If you use Nitric Acid to dissolve Sterling Silver, ( Sterling is already 92.8% pure
If you are dissolving Sterling Silver, (Sterling Silver is 92.8% pure Silver to begin with so why dissolve it?), you really don't want to convert it into Silver Chloride. Silver Chloride is difficult to work with and often renders a finished product of lesser purify than the Sterling Silver you started with. Using Copper, to plate out the Silver Nitrate solution, works; but, again, you most likely will end up with Silver that is less pure than the Sterling Silver you started with.

Dissolving the Sterling Silver, using an electrolytic Silver Cell, will yield 99.9% Fine Silver crystal, if done correctly. An Electrolytic Silver Cell is the best method, I have found, to give the most consistently pure Silver, than using chemical processes. Done properly, the Electrolytic Silver Cell, dissolves the Silver into elementary pure Silver crystal that can easily be smelted into 99.9 pure Silver ingots. The best example to follow would be found on YouTube's, SREETIPS video, tutorials. If you follow his example, you will accomplish your goal of producing 99.9 pure Silver crystal.

If you use Nitric Acid to dissolve Sterling Silver, ( Sterling is already 92.8% pure

If you are dissolving Sterling Silver, (Sterling Silver is 92.8% pure Silver to begin with so why dissolve it?), you really don't want to convert it into Silver Chloride. Silver Chloride is difficult to work with and often renders a finished product of lesser purify than the Sterling Silver you started with. Using Copper, to plate out the Silver Nitrate solution, works; but, again, you most likely will end up with Silver that is less pure than the Sterling Silver you started with.

Dissolving the Sterling Silver, using an electrolytic Silver Cell, will yield 99.9% Fine Silver crystal, if done correctly. An Electrolytic Silver Cell is the best method, I have found, to give the most consistently pure Silver, than using chemical processes. Done properly, the Electrolytic Silver Cell, dissolves the Silver into elementary pure Silver crystal that can easily be smelted into 99.9 pure Silver ingots. The best example to follow would be found on YouTube's, SREETIPS video, tutorials. If you follow his example, you will accomplish your goal of producing 99.9 pure Silver crystal.
Welcome to us.
You are plain wrong here.
I'll post a proper welcome later.
No time now.

Back