Snowballs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to share without creating new thread :)
After a long time I decided to process cumulated silver contacts scrap. And revisit the lye/sugar again, this time with even more precautions. No lye in the eye this time :D

Around 1,25 kg raw material (desoldered AgCd stuff, cut points on brass or bronze, some AgNi stuff, gold plated AgCu...). Dissolved with around 1,5L 65% nitric, diluted to half strength by dH2O of course. Some 30g of tungsten contacts fished out afterwards. Filtration was slow and inefficient due to metastannic acid, but I found that Celite also helps here to contain the stuff and prevent it from passing the filter paper. God bless Celite :D It saved my ass many many times since I discovered it´s ability to clear cloudy solutions also in refining, not only in winemaking and chemistry :)

Conversion of AgCl to Ag2O was relatively easy going, but I managed to buy some branded crappy NaOH drain cleaner, which is obviously cut with salt... Worse than tech grade NaOH.... So it took unhealthy excess of lye. I was low on hydroxide and cannot buy original stuff when I needed, so I rushed to the store to get some, and for hefty price I bought some crap :)
Also, some new things for Ag2O to Ag conversion succesfully tested. This is 5th time in row that I performed lye/sugar on kilo-scale without any runaway or "spitting" reaction, completely controlled. Max for 5L beaker is around 1 kilo of silver. Then it is hard to mix. So I can write this down and add to my book of procedures I guess :)

We will see. Sitting in the beaker for the night, i´ll finish it in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20230613_182812.jpg
    IMG_20230613_182812.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back