Test kit question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IcyTone6

Ok just wondering what chemicals are used in the testing kits you buy with the little black or white test stone. I figure it's AR for the 10k to the 22k but what is the silver and the platinum/ palladium bottle's. Very curious because I tested this silver looking stuff and it's not coming out any of the color that it should come out for silver coming out like a dark bluish so just knowledge would be great. I did do a form on this a while back of the same things I'm testing now. Not sure if that would help or if I should just post on the question before.

The silver testing solution is usually Schwerters solution. It is potassium dichromate dissolved in diluted nitric acid. When applied to silver, it turns various shades of red, depending on the purity of the silver. It turns blue when there is nickel present. There are various metal alloys like nickel silver that look like silver, but have no silver content. You'll see the same blue reaction if you apply a drop to a US 5 cent coin.

Dave

Ok so the one on top is the one with the silver testing solution and the bottom it the one with the platinum testing solution. What do you think this metal might be the one with the silver Solution also didn't dissolve all the way but the other one did.

FYI

Test acid kit - silver
rub the metal hard 4-6 times on a test stone to leave a mark. Apply test 18kt acid to the mark. If it turns aqua blue color it’s more than likely has silver in it.

The silver test acid is really meant to be applied directly on the metal you are testing not on a rub mark and the solution does goes bad.

Also silver is soft so if you have a spoon you think may be silver , if it takes a good force to bend it , chances are it’s not silver.

Ok just wondering what chemicals are used in the testing kits you buy with the little black or white test stone. I figure it's AR for the 10k to the 22k but what is the silver and the platinum/ palladium bottle's. Very curious because I tested this silver looking stuff and it's not coming out any of the color that it should come out for silver coming out like a dark bluish so just knowledge would be great. I did do a form on this a while back of the same things I'm testing now. Not sure if that would help or if I should just post on the question before.
I dont know if you still seek the mentioned solutions, but i leave a photo about some testing solution recipes if there is a need for it. I found it on a sellers site. If more experienced members find inaccurate information in the table please let me know to correct it. Thanks.

Pete

Attachments

• goldandsilver.jpg
    goldandsilver.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
Back