Thanks for being so hard on safety!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imachiro

Hi, my name is Gord. I'm a retired chiropractor, so I've spent my fare share of time in organic and inorganic chemistry classes and labs. So I thought I'd have a leg up on this process, and maybe that's true, but after reading your safety warnings I'm wondering if I should look for something else to do for a hobby. I probably won't, but I will approach this with the upmost caution and use the appropriate protection and equipment. Thanks for being so upfront and honest with this process and all the ramifications of that process. I look forward to learning more in this forum.

Hi, my name is Gord. I'm a retired chiropractor, so I've spent my fare share of time in organic and inorganic chemistry classes and labs. So I thought I'd have a leg up on this process, and maybe that's true, but after reading your safety warnings I'm wondering if I should look for something else to do for a hobby. I probably won't, but I will approach this with the upmost caution and use the appropriate protection and equipment. Thanks for being so upfront and honest with this process and all the ramifications of that process. I look forward to learning more in this forum.
Welcome to us. :)

Since you are well versed in chemistry it should be a breeze to read the recommended links.
Especially Hokes book is good with regards to precious metal chemistry.
Very down to earth and well described.

1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

Hi my name is Sheldon,

I just learned about found amazing youtube videos on this subject last night (sreetips), and have been entranced by it all since. Anyways i'm still reading the book and all the stuff. However in my very brief research into this it appears that in Canada, where im from Manitoba to be more precise. It seem's that Nitric Acid is a controlled substance in canada, unless im wrong? Anyways i've been able to source locally and very easily the other acid's. However this one with Nitric Acid im going....kay where do you buy that again?

Not that i'm immediately going to buy all the chemicals and stuff i just want to know where to get it when im ready.

I still have to read the above book and the other 2 items on the list.

And then build a Fume Hood...which oddly enough i have an exhaust tube that hook's up to a fan and would exhaust it into the backyard of my property. I live alone so nobody should be on the premise unless i know about it. Although what i'm thinking may not be legal, i might have to extend the exhaust to the roof which is probably better and then the fumes would not recondense in a pocket on the ground....hmmm anyways lots to research before im actually going to do it.

Also I have to figure out how to create a melt desk, and what exactly people are using for it...and where to get crusible's? i have no idea yet....

Anyways if anyone know what i have to do in canada to be able to source Nitric Acid please let me know, im just hoping it's not well you could just make it....groan....:p

are my calculations wrong thought

in theory, if i bought a bracelet that was made of sterling silver/14k gold...i could, in theory pull 8.75 grams of pure gold out of that right?
bracelet is 15 grams
advertised as 14k alloy not just plated.
120 bucks
good deal? or should i ghost?

so by my calculations

14/24 = 58.333%

So now 58.333% x 15g = 8.75g

and so i look up how much gold goes for and its $80.00 canadian per gram....and i have a think on that...

8.75g x 80.00 cdn = $700.00 cdn

not including what i could recoup from getting the silver back...

is this a good deal you guys think i have until 1:30 pm Saturday Sept 30th 2023 to decide to meet this foolish person?

just for fun let's think about getting the silver back...

So if i've really just put it solution, then i'm sure there something that can get it to drop. So where did the excess weight of 15 grams go?

so by my calculations that should mean that there at least 6.25 grams that are unaccounted for.

so i'm gonna be generous? and say 1.5% are more base metals then silver but even then i get what 5 grams of pure silver back which at
30 x 5 = 150

so for my purchase of 120, i get back 700+150=850-120=730 - acid's?...should i ghost this chick?

also if anyone could double check the math and let me know what i missed that would be cool!

Last edited:
are my calculations wrong thought

in theory, if i bought a bracelet that was made of sterling silver/14k gold...i could, in theory pull 8.75 grams of pure gold out of that right?
bracelet is 15 grams
advertised as 14k alloy not just plated.
120 bucks
good deal? or should i ghost?

so by my calculations

14/24 = 58.333%

So now 58.333% x 15g = 8.75g

and so i look up how much gold goes for and its $80.00 canadian per gram....and i have a think on that...

8.75g x 80.00 cdn = $700.00 cdn

not including what i could recoup from getting the silver back...

is this a good deal you guys think i have until 1:30 pm Saturday Sept 30th 2023 to decide to meet this foolish person?

just for fun let's think about getting the silver back...

So if i've really just put it solution, then i'm sure there something that can get it to drop. So where did the excess weight of 15 grams go?

so by my calculations that should mean that there at least 6.25 grams that are unaccounted for.

so i'm gonna be generous? and say 1.5% are more base metals then silver but even then i get what 5 grams of pure silver back which at
30 x 5 = 150

so for my purchase of 120, i get back 700+150=850-120=730 - acid's?...should i ghost this chick?
How much silver will you buy @$30 per gram?

none right now, i cant even get Nitric Acid...do u have a line on that?

although at 1:30 pm i'll have 14K Gold/Sterling Silver Alloy bracelet that's 15 grams...for 120 canadian....? good deal or should i ghost?

Is it 14K alloyed gold or is it 14K gold filled with sterling?
Makes no sense to mention sterling once it's alloyed imo.
Big difference.
I had som problems wrapping my head around the phrases used, but since the time was out, I dropped it from my mind.

My guess is he will get .75 gold and slightly less than 12.5 silver. If both are done perfectly and recovery is 100% dead on.

Edit.
Guessing he has gold filled over sterling. It easily could be just plated gold over silver as well.

yea i ditched on that person, besides my ex wife has some real gold jewlery that she can just give me if I ever want to try it, but i'm just reading up on this stuff right now, its a cool subject that i never really knew about as i took physic's instead of chemistry in high school

Back