Using Nitric acid to dissolve Brass

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
worst case buy 14karat test acid
That is what the YouTuber did. My problem now is finding a supplier in Canada. Another thread suggested a company in Mississauga (Toronto area) which could be picked up as a drop-in, I just couldn’t track it. No mail or courier delivery, but I can get around that. Anyone else in Canada know this supplier?

Thanks.

If the carb is made of "die cast" (which is primarily zinc) nitric will destroy the carb as nitric reacts with zinc

If the carb is made of cast aluminum the nitric will have little or NO effect on the carb as nitric does not react with aluminum

So if it was me - I would test the outside of the carb body with a drop or 2 of nitric to see how it reacts - before using the nitric on the inside of the carb

Also - if you are using 67 - 68% nitric you first need to dilute the nitric 50/50 nitric/distilled water to dissolve the brass --- do not use tap water to dilute the nitric as the chlorine in tap water will make a week AR and AR will react with both zinc & aluminum

Kurt
Duly noted,thanks.

That is what the YouTuber did. My problem now is finding a supplier in Canada. Another thread suggested a company in Mississauga (Toronto area) which could be picked up as a drop-in, I just couldn’t track it. No mail or courier delivery, but I can get around that. Anyone else in Canada know this supplier?

Thanks.
Yep, they're in Mississauga and have a walk in provided you order a day or two before you pick up.
Shipping is crazy expensive.

"Alphachem Ltd"

Steve.

For $15, you would be better off buying a Chinese knock off carb. Unless you are a total glutton for punishment. What does it go to? Nitric is ok with Al, never seen a carb made entirely of Zinc, usually pot metal.
I still agree with goldshark !!!!
Get on Amazon and search for your carb, I just got one for my sons 4 wheeler and it was an exact match for $12.00

Back