Water/fume trap for HCL/CL in a residential area

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grelko

My neighbors houses are close to mine "about 15 feet". According to Hokes, I could make a water trap for fumes. I was wondering if this would be suitable for the chlorine gas produced when dissolving gold using HCL/CL.

I'm not using nitric for this, just HCL/CL, then SMB after it sits 24 hours or longer.

Will the CL fumes buildup in the container possibly going back into the solution which could make the process of removing the CL take longer but still work or, would it dissipate into the water, resulting in very low to no fumes that the neighbors can complain about, or get sick from (except for the small cloud that is left in the top of the bucket when I take it off)? I really don't want to do this in a public park "I've read the post", and just let the wind carry the CL fumes away just incase anyone is close by.

If the fumes do dissipate into the water, will they just pass through it and come out into the air, but less concentrated like the smell of chlorine from a swimming pool?

I have a respirator that is made for CL gas.

I'm not preparing to do this for atleast another month or two seeing that I still have alot more reading to do. So far, I just have a small amount of foils that I am getting ready to wash and save up.

Hello Grelko...

Your questions prove you're reading and and learning as you are asking interesting possibilities of what ifs...

Perhaps you can write your questions down as you read and see if later you can think or find the answers and things begin to click.

I have no problem with reading them and thinking about them but it is adding to the volume of posts so not sure if it's good or bad to post questions separately or into the same thread.
This is something to ponder as well since there are pros and cons for adding to the forum.

Anywho...
Water/fume trap for Chlorine gas...
For the little experiments/work you will be doing, I'd have to say that as long as you are working as far from any house or "people area" as you can get and have a small fan making a breeze away from you and others, you should be ok with the fumes from HCL+ bleach.

I have an above ground Oval pool and any smell I create from fumes are less then the normal pool smell. I "shock" the pool at night. Over chlorinate the pool with free chlorine that quickly fumes with air at the surface. When I do this, you can barely see a whitish cloud like fog rolling over the water. The smell of chlorine is everywhere but not enough to make you gasp for air. This is worse then what comes from my shed/work area. My fan blows air in 1 window and across the work space and out another window. You can tell there is chlorine in the air but not be bothered by it.

As I said, I like reading questions as it keeps my mind pondering...and busy...

Just make sure you learn from start to finish everything you can on the process you want to use before doing anything. Right to the disposal of any solution. You want no trace of your work so as not to make any lasting impact on anything.

B.S.

I wasn't sure if I should have made a new post or just added to an existing one that was about this subject, normally I would make new posts about everything on different forums, but I noticed that there aren't that many posts on this site.

I'll have to remember that new posts can push other ones from the front page where new folks can get to them easily, along with cluttering up the search.

My main concern about the fumes was how thick they might be since I haven't tried it yet, you're reply eases my mind a little.

I was trying to find a way of using HCL/CL at home, but I don't have the room for a fume hood etc. and the neighbors are real close so, I may just need to find a place out in the woods instead.

According to the MSDS on CL gas (Chlorine maybe absorbed in solution of caustic soda, soda
ash or hydrated lime.) It might be possible to use that instead of water for a fume trap, unless the fumes from that would get into the HCL/CL and stop the reaction from working, besides foaming and making a mess everywhere if the liquids combined.

Once I've learned the proper ways of doing it, I might do some experimenting, but that won't be for a long time with all the information on here.

I'm about 100 pages into Hokes so far, while trying to slowly memorize the disposal methods and MSDS on all the chemicals I'll be using.

This is a great hobby and I'm learning alot of new things, I just didn't think that there was going to be so much reading involved in it. It's definately worth it though.

First, let me apologize if resurrecting this thread is bad forum etiquette.

Has anyone used Hoke’s fume trap successfully? When I start refining, it’ll have to be outside, and I’m considering using this method for my first forays into silver refining using nitric acid. I have a neighbor who’s a bit...over involved (he was a bit miffed we didn’t consult him before we got a dog, lol) but more importantly there’s a park across from our back alley, and I want to eliminate all risks to the extent possible.

Besides whether or not it actually neutralizes the nitrogen dioxide, would this be a possible way of recapturing some nitric acid? How useful is it when applying heat to the solution, ie- wouldn’t the water in the trap simply boil off?

Any responses appreciated

Latest posts

Back