How to destroy sodium cyanide & hydrogen peroxide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a gold cyanide solution of 28 liters. We removed gold from gold plated connectors. We used 475 grams of commercial grade sodium cyanide and 5 liters of hydrogen peroxide of 36%. This solution contains 100 grams of gold & around 5 grams of iron. Can sodium cyanide and hydrogen peroxide be destructed using copper sulfate & sodium metabisulfite ? Or there could be a better solution ? How much quantity of chemical/chemicals will be used to destroy sodium cyanide and hydrogen peroxide? How to proceed about it?
Please Help !

Goldextraction, you should never start any process without a complete understanding of all the safety aspects, including how to deal safely with the waste, especially cyanide!

I can't answer your question as I don't personally use cyanide, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.

Be safe.

Dave

I'm also a member over at 911 Metallurgist. Is this the same discussion from over there about the gold fingers?

Hypochlorite will destroy cyanide. (Air) mixing and enough time - meaning storage volume. Ideally it would need 2 stages with pH control. Google for it

Goldextraction32 said:
Platinum said:
I'm also a member over at 911 Metallurgist. Is this the same discussion from over there about the gold fingers?
No, it is not. Thanks for your concern.

Hummmmmm.........

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-17 Cyanide Destruction Gold Recovery - Hydrometallurgy Leaching in Heap, Va...png
    Screenshot_2018-09-17 Cyanide Destruction Gold Recovery - Hydrometallurgy Leaching in Heap, Va...png
    30.6 KB · Views: 355
Lino1406 said:
Hypochlorite will destroy cyanide. (Air) mixing and enough time - meaning storage volume. Ideally it would need 2 stages with pH control. Google for it
Thanks for your reply. Can you describe it in detail?

So your just going to ignore this situation here like you did over there aren't you?
Is that or is that not your post?

Goldextraction, I've read your post here and the post Platinum shared from another forum.

Your post here
The post Platinum shared

We have a gold cyanide solution of 28 liters.
We have a gold cyanide solution of 30 liters.

We removed gold from gold plated connectors.
We removed gold from gold fingers.

We used 475 grams of commercial grade sodium cyanide and 5 liters of hydrogen peroxide of 36%.
We used 500 grams of commercial grade sodium cyanide and 1.5 liters of hydrogen peroxide of 36%.

This solution contains 100 grams of gold & around 5 grams of iron.
This solution contains 100 grams of gold and around 5 grams of iron and 5 grams of solder.

Can sodium cyanide and hydrogen peroxide be destructed using copper sulfate & sodium metabisulfite ?
We want to use copper sulphate, sodium metabisulfite for cyanide and hydrogen peroxide destruction.

How to proceed about it?
How to proceed about it?

There are just too many similarities. I don't care if you posted the same question somewhere else. I do care if you deny it. Be honest, and our members will try to help you.

Dave

He got answers over there, he's just price shopping for a better one to fit what he wants to hear instead of what he needs to hear. If he would do a little research the answer is here on the forum.

Platinum said:
So your just going to ignore this situation here like you did over there aren't you?
In fact we were two partners in gold recovery business. That is the reason our post started with “we have……” We had some issues and separated . And that solution became my property. And I don’t understand this gold recovery line as much as my partner did. The first question was posted by my partner. And the question on Gold refining forum is posted by me. I made little bit of changes because I thought people would not be interested to answer the same question. But honestly speaking no dishonest intentions were meant. If my post disturbed anyone, I am sorry about that. I was so tensed I even forgot to start this post with I have…… this time because my gold is stuck in the solution.
So, this is the truth. Please help !

FrugalRefiner said:
Goldextraction, I've read your post here and the post Platinum shared from another forum.

Your post here
The post Platinum shared

We have a gold cyanide solution of 28 liters.
We have a gold cyanide solution of 30 liters.

We removed gold from gold plated connectors.
We removed gold from gold fingers.

We used 475 grams of commercial grade sodium cyanide and 5 liters of hydrogen peroxide of 36%.
We used 500 grams of commercial grade sodium cyanide and 1.5 liters of hydrogen peroxide of 36%.

This solution contains 100 grams of gold & around 5 grams of iron.
This solution contains 100 grams of gold and around 5 grams of iron and 5 grams of solder.

Can sodium cyanide and hydrogen peroxide be destructed using copper sulfate & sodium metabisulfite ?
We want to use copper sulphate, sodium metabisulfite for cyanide and hydrogen peroxide destruction.

How to proceed about it?
How to proceed about it?

There are just too many similarities. I don't care if you posted the same question somewhere else. I do care if you deny it. Be honest, and our members will try to help you.

Dave
In fact we were two partners in gold recovery business. That is the reason our post started with “we have……” We had some issues and separated . And that solution became my property. And I don’t understand this gold recovery line as much as my partner did. The first question was posted by my partner. And the question on Gold refining forum is posted by me. I made little bit of changes because I thought people would not be interested to answer the same question. But honestly speaking no dishonest intentions were meant. If my post disturbed someone, I am sorry for that. I was so tensed I even forgot to start this post with I have…… this time because my gold is stuck in the solution.

https://www.emerson.com/documents/automation/application-data-cyanide-destruction-monitoring-ph-orp-en-68412.pdf is an example

Lino1406 said:
https://www.emerson.com/documents/automation/application-data-cyanide-destruction-monitoring-ph-orp-en-68412.pdf is an example
Thanks for the link.
Can we destroy cyanide by simply adding H2O2 to the solution ? Is it safe ? What will be the reaction ? How to determine all the cyanide has been destroyed?
Thanks!

H2O2 with cyanide will result in some kind of "fertilizer". Each result has its dangers. I suggest you to study the subject more seriously or get a quotation from a company and not to expect magic recipes.

Goldextraction32 said:
Platinum said:
In fact we were two partners in gold recovery business. That is the reason our post started with “we have……” We had some issues and separated . And that solution became my property. And I don’t understand this gold recovery line as much as my partner did. The first question was posted by my partner. And the question on Gold refining forum is posted by me. I made little bit of changes because I thought people would not be interested to answer the same question. But honestly speaking no dishonest intentions were meant. If my post disturbed anyone, I am sorry about that. I was so tensed I even forgot to start this post with I have…… this time because my gold is stuck in the solution.

Not a problem sir. Just trying to figure things out.

Goldextraction32 said:
We have a gold cyanide solution of 28 liters. We removed gold from gold plated connectors. We used 475 grams of commercial grade sodium cyanide and 5 liters of hydrogen peroxide of 36%. This solution contains 100 grams of gold & around 5 grams of iron. Can sodium cyanide and hydrogen peroxide be destructed using copper sulfate & sodium metabisulfite ? Or there could be a better solution ? How much quantity of chemical/chemicals will be used to destroy sodium cyanide and hydrogen peroxide? How to proceed about it?
Please Help !

Per the underlined - is the gold still in solution ?

I ask - because you are asking how to "destroy" the cyanide --- which would be a question of what to do with the solution (cyanide) AFTER you have recovered the gold

If the gold is still in solution - then your question needs to be --- how do I "recover" the gold from my cyanide solution

copper sulfate &/or sodium metabisulfite will not recover the gold from your cyanide solution - nor will it distroy the cyanide AFTER you recover the gold

So - what do you want to do

destroy the cyanide after the gold has already been recovered - OR ------

recover the gold - the cyanide can &/or needs to be destroyed "after" the gold is recovered

WARNING - do not add acid to cyanide --- you WILL die

do NOT have your cyanide in the the same work area that have acids in the same work area - you may (very well) die

keep cyanide & acids in seperate work areas

Kurt

Added Note; - if you need to recover the gold - lets talk about that "first" --- then we can talk about destroying the cyanide

Don't do ANYTHING until you/we know exactly what you are doing &/or until you FULLY understand it

we have several members that can/will help you - but we/you "need" details

Kurt

kurtak said:
Added Note; - if you need to recover the gold - lets talk about that "first" --- then we can talk about destroying the cyanide

Don't do ANYTHING until you/we know exactly what you are doing &/or until you FULLY understand it

we have several members that can/will help you - but we/you "need" details

Kurt
Thanks for your reply.
My gold is still in the solution. I want to first recover gold and then destroy cyanide. Please advise how to proceed? Recover gold first and then destroy cyanide or destroy cyanide first and then recover gold?
Thanks!

Back